Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Fatality accident on South Main Street

Go down 
+2
luv2cook
plowboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Fatality accident on South Main Street Empty
PostSubject: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Anyone heard anything about the fatality accident that happened today (Tuesday 8-18 ) at the intersection of Main and the US 183 alternate?
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Only heard it called in as a code blue on the scanner and that it was a man.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down
doodlevw
doodlevw

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:21 pm

If this offends anyone, I am sorry. I just have to say my piece. Has anyone read the article from our friendly newspaper? It makes it sound like it was the truck drivers fault. I am so sorry for all parties involved and I do not know anyone. It really bothers me when truck drivers are to blame or when the media makes it sound like their fault.

"After stopping at the intersection of the U.S. Highway 183 bypass, Harvey attempted to cross the road. His 1997 Cadillac Deville was stuck broadside by the truck before he could reach the other side."

Does anyone else see a problem with this? Like the commercials about being injuried by a truck driver, come on people. Really? I am not taking all truck drivers sides because at times they are to blame, but this just kinda chaps my behind a little.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Quote :
Vehicle 1 was eastbound on US 183 bypass, vehicle 2 pulled away from stop sign, at Main St. Vehicle 2 headed southbound, attempted to cross road, vehicle 1 struck vehicle 2 broadside.

Elderly individual tries to cross in front of a semi that's probably traveling at 40 to 50 MPH and underestimates the time it will take to get out of the way. That's not unusual as many 83 year olds have slowed reflexes and poor perception of speeds. Unless the truck driver was traveling excessively fast, was intoxicated, or crossed the centerline, there is no fault on his part. You can't stop a semi in a half a block.
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:08 pm

doodlevw, show me where in the HDN article it says that the truck hit the car on puropse. It said the car was struck by the truck. That statement is a fact. The car did not hit the truck. The 83 year old man either didn't see the truck or thought he had time to cross the highway. God rest his soul.
Back to top Go down
doodlevw
doodlevw

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 4:07 pm

lyric.......I never said that it said the truck hit the car on purpose. I quoted the paper exactly....

"After stopping at the intersection of the U.S. Highway 183 bypass, Harvey attempted to cross the road. His 1997 Cadillac Deville was stuck broadside by the truck before he could reach the other side."

Yes, the truck did hit the car. Yes, it is a very bad situation. I am not going to argue the fact of my opinion. It does not say that the man did stop, of course he didn't see the truck. When you read the above quote and it says "struck broadside by the truck before he could reach the other side" I just think that could have been worded a little different. Thats all.
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Sorry doodle, I disagree. Nowhere in the article does it even remotely sound like the newspaper is blaming the truck driver, not even the "struck broadside" quote.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:35 pm

doodlevw wrote:
When you read the above quote and it says "struck broadside by the truck before he could reach the other side" I just think that could have been worded a little different. Thats all.

I'm not sure why that bothers you. That's the simple fact of it. It just means he either didn't see the truck or underestimated the speeds and time. Right of way always goes to the person who does not have to stop so there's no blame on the truck driver and I don't see where anyone intends to say there is.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:17 pm

I happened to drove down the highway going east yesterday and saw all of the black tire marks on the road and seen where the truck went off of the road. Gave me goose bumps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fatality accident on South Main Street   Fatality accident on South Main Street Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fatality accident on South Main Street
Page 1 of 1