Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Fatality in the fog

Go down 
+8
nitromaxx98
Bighead
SciFi
Justoo
cobra_kel
Ratzilla
bg0308
LukeTHr
12 posters
AuthorMessage
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Fatality in the fog Empty
PostSubject: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

I heard the truckers talking about a wreck south of Hays on 183 this morning. Here is the the KHP report on it.
This will make the holidays hard for the families for sure.

KHP report
Back to top Go down
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Wow, She was recently married.

My prayers go out to the family and friends!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 pm

As bad as it is at least it was her own fault and not the other driver. It's too bad for her family but passing on a two lane in dense fog is asking for it.
Back to top Go down
cobra_kel
cobra_kel

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I would highly recommend a blood alcohol test on driver of vehicle #1.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 7:45 pm

cobra_kel wrote:
Ironically it wasn't his fault.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:08 pm

cobra_kel wrote:

What's it matter? He didn't break one of the roads most important rules and pass in dense fog, she did. If KHP thought intoxication on his part played into it I guarantee 100% that they would have charged him and indicated so in the report. Trying to find a way to blame him for her mistake isn't going to bring her back, nor would it comfort the family.

I don't care if she hit a drunk, or a tea drinking professional stunt driver. You just DO NOT pass in heavy fog on 2 lane highways.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm

cobra_kel wrote:

What makes you believe that would be necessary?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
I don't care if she hit a drunk, or a tea drinking professional stunt driver. You just DO NOT pass in heavy fog on 2 lane highways.
The report said that she wasn't wearing a safety restraint. The guy she hit, was, and survived. It may have saved her, I don't know. What was that poor young woman thinking?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 pm

That's a shame. My condolences to the family.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 pm

cobra_kel wrote:

Insufficient information to second guess, such as details on the vehicle she was attempting to pass. Both cars involved had DRL's, but what about the other? Was she following close and just popped out?

No matter. It's a terrible tragedy.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:12 am

Going to have to agree with Nitro, you really have to ask why is it not her fault? You simply can't do that it dense fog on a two lane highway. I guess you have to affix blame to someone, why not the other guy just trying to get where ever he was going. Just trying to navigate the conditions and another car appears out of the fog with no warning.

It's sad to see a young woman cut down in life, but where is the personal accountability for her choice to tempt fate in those weather conditions? I guess she had to be somewhere in a hurry, she rolled the dice and lost.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:13 am

Most who pass in fog try to dart out and back in extra fast, but it's never recommended. You can't count on everyone driving with lights on and if the fog is dense enough you may not see them in daylight until way too late.

Were they at highway speed? If so it's at least 55 heading towards 55 equaling 110 MPH. Way too fast to react in heavy fog. I drove into a fog once where oncoming lights were not visible until within about 200 feet. I and a friend hit a fog bank so dense once he had to come to almost a complete stop very fast because we could only see the roadway about 20 feet ahead. I realize driving behind someone in fog who's slow is frustrating, but it's just too risky to pass. My condolences also go to the family, but this need not have happened.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:18 am

I heard about this earlier, this is so sad! I know when I drive that road, I drive 70, but that's only in good weather conditions and only during daylight. I had a heck of a time seeing anything this morning and only had to drive 5 blocks to work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:36 am

I was on Old 40 this morning and even at 45-50 mph I was pushing it. Visibility was maybe 200 feet ahead at best. as far as passing on 183, that can be dangerous even in good weather. In fog, there is no way I would even consider it
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 8:34 am

I ran into fog like that one time while hauling a 16 foot wide combine. Had no choice but to pull off the road and wait it out.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 am

After dropping my son off at school yesterday, was almost in a wreck with a woman in a light gray mini van driving without lights on. Almost invisible.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am

On the way to work yesterday, when you got to a utility pole on a country road you could just start to make out the next one. How far apart are the poles?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

I used to go to school in fog like that - on a boat. At least they had radar to navigate around the oil tankers that were anchored in the harbor.

Fatality in the fog 2771589587_7fe0c69a4e
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 3:36 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I was on Old 40 this morning and even at 45-50 mph I was pushing it. Visibility was maybe 200 feet ahead at best. as far as passing on 183, that can be dangerous even in good weather. In fog, there is no way I would even consider it

45-50mph in that fog yesterday on old 40 is a hell of alot faster than I would have driven.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 6:30 pm

luv2cook wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

45-50mph in that fog yesterday on old 40 is a hell of alot faster than I would have driven.

Bad part is I had people on my butt wanting to go faster. They were stuck cause I wasn't gonna speed up any more
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fatality in the fog   Fatality in the fog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fatality in the fog
Page 1 of 1