Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

The Sports Complex

Go down 
+31
alg8tr
lilchefed
kidrkp
wwtp73
Degeneration X
lyric
rebelicia
crutch51
plowboy
wilkykav2
slider
nobodysbusiness
luv2cook
dubious
zeke
suzyj
stargatefan
creed_23010
Blackie Kuhn
LukeTHr
nitromaxx98
Devils Advocate
Samwitty
Roadstar
slickjay12
jessks75
dz724
fescue
jrroberts
The Other One
Justoo
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

The Sports Complex - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 12:37 am

jrroberts wrote:
FHSU get no money from the sales tax. They will only help pay for some of the parking lot and cost of getting utilities out there. There stadium is funded totally out of their budget.

You keep talking about the economy but this is an opportunity to bring money to the community. Even if times get tough we know that sports parent will keep shelling out big bucks for their kids to chase the dream. There is no other business or thing we could bring into this town that can generate as much revenue. Maybe you aren’t business owners but I am and we need the money so that we hire people and buy things and put this money in your pockets.

extra cost .25 cents for 100 dollars. Potential income to town millions.

Whats sad about this attitude is there are more urgent needs of funds for education but the focus is always on sports. Tell ya what, if you think it's so worth having, you pay for it. I personally would prefer to keep some of my money for what I feel is important instead of getting to help pay to make your bank account fatter.
Back to top Go down
jrroberts

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 am

LukeTHr,

I don't make that much money. I am actually just holding on like a lot of business in Hays. You would be amazed at how many business are just on the edge of closing doors in hays. You must not understand economics very well because if I shut down and a few other place go as well then you will be in much worse shape. I support around 20 people depending on the season. That would be an impact to the community. Now imagine if only 5 other places close shop what happens to the economy of Hays. Your small business owners are on the edge and they need help or you will start feeling the pain when we go under.

But hey you keep that extra quarter or two and go buy a pop. I'm not saying anything else on here about except go vote. If the people don't want it I understand that. Money is tight for everyone. It just bothers me that you assume I am just in this to pad my account.

Trust me at this point i'm not sure it will help............
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 3:28 pm

jrroberts wrote:
You keep talking about the economy but this is an opportunity to bring money to the community. Even if times get tough we know that sports parent will keep shelling out big bucks for their kids to chase the dream. There is no other business or thing we could bring into this town that can generate as much revenue. Maybe you aren’t business owners but I am and we need the money so that we hire people and buy things and put this money in your pockets.

Exactly. There were 108 teams at the tournament in Hutchinson this weekend. Hotels were full. Restaurants were packed. People everywhere in the mall with kids who were wearing soccer uniforms. Think it helped their local economy just a little?

On another note, it isn't just about "chasing the dream," as you said. The kids learn valuable life lessons, too, both mental and physical. Personal example: When I was a kid, I lived in the northeast and I played youth hockey. One of the things they teach you in hockey is how to fall without smashing your head. The other day at work, I was walking on a tile floor, unaware that there was a spill. When I stepped on it, my feet went straight out from under me. I instinctively put my elbows out and fell on my them and my lower back, rather than taking a head blow from the floor. I can only think back to getting blindsided on the ice and falling in ther same manner as the reason that I did that. Instead of a skull fracture, I was a little sore. Tiger Balm took care of that. Thank God for youth sports!
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Lucky you didn't hit your head, or you might have ended up no smarter than me.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm

I have no problem if hays wants a sports comlex, but let the people of hays pay for it, not all of us out of towners that have to shop there. or let the ones who will benefit from it directly pay for it. I am tired of always being tapped financially to help fund a pet project hays comes up with. In light of this $700,000,000,000.00 (700 billion) dollar bailout that is happening we all know that money is gonna come from somewhere and you know as well as I do that it is going to be put on the backs of the everyday common person. You and me. So sorry if my need for a pop once in a while puts a crimp in your plans, but it is my quarter and I would prefer to have the choice as to how I want to spend it. And trust me, I know what small business people are up against cause I are one and I am damn tired of always getting drained financially by taxes and taxes and more taxes. We don't need mroe taxes to build more government supported stuff,..... what this country needs is manufacturing type businesses that actually make a product that gets exported so that will mean good paying jobs and new tax revenues coming into the government coffers. Jobs that pay a decent wage and let people live a decent lifestyle and actually be able to save for retirement. more taxes aren't the answer, job growth is the answer.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Just wondering if teams in the eastern and southern part of the state will travel to Hays to participate in a soccer tournament or will they opt to travel to Hutchinson, Salina, Wichita, Kansas City, etc. I probably am wrong but educate me, is soccer a big sport and are there traveling teams in Plainville, Stockton, Goodland, Colby, Norton, Hoxie, Wakeeney, Ness City, Russell?
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Just how many tournaments a year can you have to justify such a complex ? And if it is going to be that busy, why not have the people who use it pay for it.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm

That's the best idea I heard so far
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Ask Iberdola If they would like to chip in...might work!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:28 pm

plowboy wrote:
Just wondering if teams in the eastern and southern part of the state will travel to Hays to participate in a soccer tournament or will they opt to travel to Hutchinson, Salina, Wichita, Kansas City, etc. I probably am wrong but educate me, is soccer a big sport and are there traveling teams in Plainville, Stockton, Goodland, Colby, Norton, Hoxie, Wakeeney, Ness City, Russell?

I heard the Gove Soccer League has been wanting this for years.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 am

plowboy wrote:

No, but there are clubs in Great Bend, Dodge City, Garden City and Salina.

The Leavenworth tournament drew teams from St. Louis, Omaha and Wichita. Last year's Topeka tournament brought in teams from Des Moines, Tulsa and Colorado Springs. With the location of Hays, there's no reason that a well run tournament with good facilities couldn't draw teams from Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Our kids have gone to Scottsbluff for tournaments in the past.

At this point, the Hays teams usually go to three tournaments a season. They also play eight league games, which are all in Salina.

Some teams in other places play year round. Wichita, for example, has an indoor facility where their select teams can play/practice. I understand that their best teams only take three weeks a year off. Our team played an Oklahoma team at the Lawrence tournament a couple of years ago that has its own team bus. These clubs are always looking for more places to play.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Thank you for your response. I am not familiar with which what cities have traveling soccer teams. I know that at this years adult softball state tournament hosted by Wichita there were seven Hays teams but no others from NW Kansas. Wichita and Kansas City had the most entries.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm

If we build it, they will come......

but what if they don't?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:

but what if they don't?

Then we must call Kevin Conster and demand a refund The Sports Complex - Page 2 530931 lol!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 10:14 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

but what if they don't?

Then we must call Kevin Conster and demand a refund The Sports Complex - Page 2 530931 lol!

lol! cheers
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:46 pm

Hey then they could put up a big sign at the edge of town.....

"Welcome to the Hays Sports Complex, please excuse the condition of our streets...."
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
Hey then they could put up a big sign at the edge of town.....

"Welcome to the Hays Sports Complex, please excuse the condition of our streets...."

You left out, "We are trying to appear that we a larger City than we are, many people flock here for jobs which we don't have, We have many resturants you will eat at except for the ones you want to eat at.

Hays is 20 years or less of becoming a Hill City, Hoxie, any small town. A gas stop onto a better life.
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:10 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Hays is 20 years or less of becoming a Hill City, Hoxie, any small town. A gas stop onto a better life.

Well now , If it is that bad maybe you should leave now while you still can.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:53 am

Just another Million Dollar Facility that will set unused most of the year. How much will the City spend on the maintainence that will have to be done to keep it up each year while the "Hays Sports Complex" sets dormant?

Another question is this, What happens to all the other Soccer Fields and Ballparks once they build this White Elephant? Are they going to mow them down and make some more Parks or Greenspace that will cost even more tax dollars to build and maintian?

More of the same blowing "Smoke Up The Taxpayers Arses" and throwing millions of tax dollar at yet another "Finnigan's Folly."
Back to top Go down
dubious

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 am

Why in the world would we want more people to come to Hays, Has anyone tried to drive down Vine St over the lunch hour, Or tried to make a left hand turn onto 27th at 5:00? If I'm ever elected benevolent dictator of Hays, the first thing I'll do is make a big sign that says "Go Away" (except for all of you of course)
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:37 am

I totally agree. It's all about politics and how much money they can fill their pockets with and piss on the taxpayer. Mad
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 am

link to site

1/2 cent tax, not 1/4.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
link to site

1/2 cent tax, not 1/4.
A sunset clause or provision is part of a law or statute that can repeal the law or parts of it at a specified time period. The history of using sunset clauses is lengthy, dating to the Roman Republic’s use of it to pass temporary laws when specific things like tax increases or extra military spending were needed for a short period of time. The phrase ad tempus concessa post tempus censetur denegata was added to numerous laws and roughly translates to the statement that a clause was admitted for a short period of time and then denied after that time period had ended. This was used to determine length of time that a person could hold a certain position too, and fell into disuse when Roman leaders became dictators and held their offices for an indeterminate time period.

In the modern sense, the sunset clause is used often in democratic laws. For instance, the limitations on holding office in the US, like the presidency, can be called a type of sunset clause. Though the people elect a president, he or she is only president for eight years at most. From a democratic standpoint, limiting the term in office makes sense so that a person occupying a position cannot abuse her power or fail to act as representative of the people she represents. Even if there is no limitation placed on the number of times a person can hold an office, the sunset clause means that the people must reaffirm, by voting, the person’s continued right to hold the office.

A sunset clause is often built into specific laws that may be undergoing a trial period. A law can have a definite expiration date, at which point people who established the law, either voters or elected officials must vote to continue the law. Sometimes senators are criticized for allowing certain regulations and statutes to expire without voting to keep them in place. This can either take place by ignoring the expiration date, or by voting not to keep a regulation.

What the sunset clause can affirm in a democracy is that laws and provisions may be flexible. This is not always the way the people of a country think about law. Once it’s a law, it’s always a law, according to some. If you care deeply about an issue, it’s important to understand if a sunset clause exists for certain statutes. It’s equally valuable to communicate with your elected officials if an important law is set to expire and you’d like it to remain.

For instance, the USA PATRIOT Act has several sunset clauses nullifying some parts of the act after a certain time period. These include provisions on wiretapping under a variety of circumstances. The Act was renewed in 2006 but still contains some sunset clauses. Public support of the Act has waned and when these specific clauses expire again, it will be hard to tell whether senators will vote to renew them. People who don’t support the Act, or who do, take an active part in the democracy by communicating their wishes to their representatives through letters, or by voting.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am

I just think that it is a very unwise project to take on at this point in time of fiscal uncertainty. I was visiting with a car dealer friend and he was saying that since all this bailout of the wealthy has started, car sales have plummetted. People are being very cautious as are the banks because there are some coming in that want to buy a car from him but they can't get the money loaned to them for the auto purchase. I have also noticed there are homes for sale that are not selling. I know as for myself, I am very hesitant to go out and spend money on anything but necessities. I think we as a society need to learn to tighten our belts a bit and hold off a bit on large frivolous projects for a while. Utility prices are rising 15 % for electricity and natural gas, gas prices are very unstable and everything else is going up as a result of that. The only not going up are wages. So sorry if I am not open to having even more money taken out of my pocket for a pet project being promoted by a handfull of folks that have a vested interest for thier own financial gain.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:05 pm

8,000,000/.005/365/4=1,095,890.41
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 pm

splain, please.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:35 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
8,000,000/.005/365/4=1,095,890.41

My calculator can't figure that out and neither can I.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Justoo wrote:
splain, please.

Ditto, I was an English major.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 pm

The Sport Complex will cost $8,000,000 to build.

The tax raise to pay for it is 1\2 cent per dollar spent. ($.005)

$8,000,000 divided by $.005=$1,600,000,000 in taxable sales.

Divide by 365 days per year.

Divide by 4 years when the tax sunsets.

$1,095,890.41 in taxable sales per day in the city of Hays.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Ok thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:03 pm

The Sports Complex - Page 2 838724

Let's chat about something local that matters...
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:31 pm

Walmart?
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:31 pm

The more I read the paper the more it seems to me Eddie wants a soccer stadium and he wants us to help pay for it.

"It's important that you understand the university's involvement is totally separate," Hammond said. "Separate financially, separate land-wise, but there are some synergies for saving us by putting the two projects together."

Are we voting on something for the good of the city or the good of the University ? It needs to be separated.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:54 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Sport Complex will cost $8,000,000 to build.

The tax raise to pay for it is 1\2 cent per dollar spent. ($.005)

$8,000,000 divided by $.005=$1,600,000,000 in taxable sales.

Divide by 365 days per year.

Divide by 4 years when the tax sunsets.

$1,095,890.41 in taxable sales per day in the city of Hays.

Walmart!
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Walmart
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:01 am

Walmart does $1.1 million in taxable sales per day?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 am

I would not think it that much
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 am

The Other One wrote:
jrroberts wrote:

Exactly. There were 108 teams at the tournament in Hutchinson this weekend. Hotels were full. Restaurants were packed. People everywhere in the mall with kids who were wearing soccer uniforms. Think it helped their local economy just a little?

On another note, it isn't just about "chasing the dream," as you said. The kids learn valuable life lessons, too, both mental and physical. Personal example: When I was a kid, I lived in the northeast and I played youth hockey. One of the things they teach you in hockey is how to fall without smashing your head. The other day at work, I was walking on a tile floor, unaware that there was a spill. When I stepped on it, my feet went straight out from under me. I instinctively put my elbows out and fell on my them and my lower back, rather than taking a head blow from the floor. I can only think back to getting blindsided on the ice and falling in ther same manner as the reason that I did that. Instead of a skull fracture, I was a little sore. Tiger Balm took care of that. Thank God for youth sports!

Big problem I see is that the Motels, Shopping and Restaurants are at least five miles or more from this Economic Boosting Sports Complex. Not to mention the stench from the University Farm less than a half a mile away. How many Parents are going to want to have to make the commute back and forth to the Complex to eat or go back the Motel to rest up and get out of the heat or to go to our fabulous crappy Mall to shop. Oh wait WalMart is our Premiere Shopping Experience in Hays. Not to mention this little fact, if these thousands of people are going to come to our fair City so just how much extra water are they going to use flushing all of those toilets, taking all of those showers and washing those darn uniforms? Remember we do have a problem with that darn pesky water shortage too!

All blowing the economic impact of this albatross smoke up our asses once again. Yep, it is going to be the saviour of Hays all right,
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 am

So how is it paid for in 4 years?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 am

I would think the Stench of Hace would be a concern
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:45 am

slider wrote:
Big problem I see is that the Motels, Shopping and Restaurants are at least five miles or more from this Economic Boosting Sports Complex. Not to mention the stench from the University Farm less than a half a mile away. How many Parents are going to want to have to make the commute back and forth to the Complex to eat or go back the Motel to rest up and get out of the heat or to go to our fabulous crappy Mall to shop. Oh wait WalMart is our Premiere Shopping Experience in Hays. Not to mention this little fact, if these thousands of people are going to come to our fair City so just how much extra water are they going to use flushing all of those toilets, taking all of those showers and washing those darn uniforms? Remember we do have a problem with that darn pesky water shortage too!

All blowing the economic impact of this albatross smoke up our asses once again. Yep, it is going to be the saviour of Hays all right,

a. It's not five miles. It's more like 2-3 miles. That technicality aside, the soccer complex in Topeka is north of the river on Silver Lake Road, off of Highway 75. It's much further, with much more traffic, to the hotels and restaurants than the proposed complex in Hays.

b. Perhaps increasing the traffic in Hays will attract better stores to The Mall. Just a thought.

c. I have never seen any proponent of the sports complex say that it would be the economic saviour of Hays. Certainly it would be an economic plus to the city and the county. Certainly people who visit for a weekend would typically spend two nights in hotel and eat several meals in restaurants. However, there is no saviour. Sykes was going to be the saviour. Where is it now? Guatamala? NEW was going to be the saviour. Half the students at FHSU have now worked there and have either quit or been fired. Chances are that when their tax exemptions expire, the city will again be abandoned and they'll repeat the same mistake with another crappy company.

Just keep thinking the way you are, people, and in 20 years, Hays will be the new McCracken.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 12:53 am

The Other One wrote:
slider wrote:

a. It's not five miles. It's more like 2-3 miles. That technicality aside, the soccer complex in Topeka is north of the river on Silver Lake Road, off of Highway 75. It's much further, with much more traffic, to the hotels and restaurants than the proposed complex in Hays.

b. Perhaps increasing the traffic in Hays will attract better stores to The Mall. Just a thought.

c. I have never seen any proponent of the sports complex say that it would be the economic saviour of Hays. Certainly it would be an economic plus to the city and the county. Certainly people who visit for a weekend would typically spend two nights in hotel and eat several meals in restaurants. However, there is no saviour. Sykes was going to be the saviour. Where is it now? Guatamala? NEW was going to be the saviour. Half the students at FHSU have now worked there and have either quit or been fired. Chances are that when their tax exemptions expire, the city will again be abandoned and they'll repeat the same mistake with another crappy company.

Just keep thinking the way you are, people, and in 20 years, Hays will be the new McCracken.

Thank you for your input Ellis County Resident.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 6:23 am

The soccer field will go in whether the entire complex is built or not. FHSU already owns their share of the land. We are better off with it than without it, in the long run.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:21 am

The Other One kinda sounds just like the guy we all came to know and love that went by the name EP.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 am

If the vote doesn't pass, which with the state of our economy I doubt it will, the FHSU soccer stadium will be built but in a different location. I believe it will be constructed in the present site of the driving range of the golf course.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 am

plowboy wrote:
The Other One kinda sounds just like the guy we all came to know and love that went by the name EP.

No shit, Sherlock.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

Everybody quit arguing!!!The Sports Complex - Page 2 400358 This is like the windfarm.except the windfarm was important to the world.the kids get to play now and have done fine all these years and I think we should do something important and necessary.Not everybody does the sports thing.I know of 1 teen who plays volleyball and that's the only person I know who even plays sports.........blah,blah,blah-I'm rambling.Hays needs to get on board with the rest of the world,we are living in the dark ages.

AND DAMMIT-I NEED A F'N RADIO STATION,a real one.That would be nice for starters.
Have a nice day The Sports Complex - Page 2 862468 my speech is over lol!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 10:10 am

wilkykav2 wrote:
Everybody quit arguing!!!The Sports Complex - Page 2 400358 This is like the windfarm.except the windfarm was important to the world.the kids get to play now and have done fine all these years and I think we should do something important and necessary.Not everybody does the sports thing.I know of 1 teen who plays volleyball and that's the only person I know who even plays sports.........blah,blah,blah-I'm rambling.Hays needs to get on board with the rest of the world,we are living in the dark ages.

AND DAMMIT-I NEED A F'N RADIO STATION,a real one.That would be nice for starters.

Do you feel like this a lot?

The Sports Complex - Page 2 Head_up_ass
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 am

as a person that doesn't live in Hays and and having no vote on the matter I am sure I will be told to STFU by those that support the complex, I have to say this. I am not in favor of paying more in sales tax to this project at this time of economic troubles. It is not a wise thing to do when you consider the fact that the big money people are scrambling to keep their asses afloat and getting our tax dollars to do it with. When things crash, and I think they will given all the indicators we are seeing, people aren't going to have the money they need to live day to day, much less, travel to a newly built sports complex to compete in a tournament. Folks had better wise up and realize the severity of the situation that our economy is in and prepare for the worst. You can hope for the best but ya best be prepared for bad things happening. Hopefully it won't be as bad as it possibly could be, but to unwisely commit more tax at this time for a frivolous project such as this is just plain poor decision making.

as a shopper from out of town, it will make the local stores that much more appealing given the cost of gas and the increased taxes. It will also make online shopping a better bargain, then I don't have to travel or pay the sales tax.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 am

The Other One wrote:
wilkykav2 wrote:

Do you feel like this a lot?

The Sports Complex - Page 2 Head_up_ass

No,is it painful?You poor thing.

And it is like the windfarm for "instance"because everyone is arguing about it-NOT because it's anything LIKE the windfarm.It was a example I guess.Blah

Last edited by wilkykav2 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sports Complex   The Sports Complex - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Sports Complex
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next