Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

New sports arena

Go down 
+6
supermom75
LukeTHr
letsallskate
Roadstar
slider
alg8tr
10 posters
AuthorMessage
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2008-03-26

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 7:38 pm

When do they plan on letting bids to build the NEW Complex??? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Sportsplex details on city agenda   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 pm

After a public vote approved a half-cent sales tax to fund a sports complex, the Hays City Commission is expected to get the project into play.

The commission will meet for a work session at 5:30 p.m. Thursday and will hear staff recommendations for how to proceed in kicking off the development phase.

Full Story here Hays Sports Complex on City Commision Agenda
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 pm

One fancy skating rink.
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm

I find it interesting that the public voted in something that cost Millions of dollars and they dont have a plan yet.
Back to top Go down
letsallskate
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 134

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:43 pm

The skating rink is reopening? Let's have a fund raiser. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Shoot first the ask questions later, The mutual admiration club creed.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Business as Usual   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Roadstar wrote:
I find it interesting that the public voted in something that cost Millions of dollars and they dont have a plan yet.

Does this surprise anybody. Lets get a fancy conceptual drawing of a proposed complex, have no actual plan in place then bamboozle the taxpayers with a bunch of overblown hype and pulled out of our asses Financial Smoke and Mirrors into voting fo it. Just Hays and Ellis County Politics at its best, backass words to say the least.

I for one am going to shop elsewhere as much as I can as to not help fund this fucking "White Elephant Bilking of the Taxpeyers Version 2008"
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:38 pm

slider wrote:
Roadstar wrote:

Does this surprise anybody. Lets get a fancy conceptual drawing of a proposed complex, have no actual plan in place then bamboozle the taxpayers with a bunch of overblown hype and pulled out of our asses Financial Smoke and Mirrors into voting fo it. Just Hays and Ellis County Politics at its best, backass words to say the least.

I for one am going to shop elsewhere as much as I can as to not help fund this fucking "White Elephant Bilking of the Taxpeyers Version 2008"

I couldn't agree more to shopping elsewhere. Since I don't live in Hays the only way I can vote is by shopping elsewhere. Salina isn't all that far away. They have better variety of stores and Red Lobster. The crazy part of this is the folks that pushed for it probably do a lot of shopping in Salina and Wichita. You know the country club folks.....gotta go to Dillards....
Back to top Go down
supermom75
Rookie
Rookie
supermom75

Number of posts : 183

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:52 am

Hey slider, I'm wondering what it is that you feel kids should be doing with their time? In another thread you were complaining about kids playing video games, and now you seem to be complaing about the sports complex which will give our kids more oppurtunity to be active in sports. I'm not picking on you, I just would like to know what people of your generation think kids of today should be doing with their free time. Neutral
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:02 am

I wondered if Hays Rec would inherit this million dollar playground. Just in case,...I am upset that so much to do was made of something that could have been done for less. I can complain because I voted. I will save comment until it becomes more of an issue. In many ways this is much like the bailouts going on right now. Just makes no fiscal sense when we have no industry locally. I mean, no good paying industry.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:18 am

Supermom, Kids should not be babysat by video games or by a psuedo-govermental daycare. For Christs sake, why is it that kids now days demand to be entertained by means other than their own imaginations. As a child, we made our own entertainment and fun. We didn't have the luxury of having our parents buying us the latest entertainment system to keep us from actually going out and having fun.

We are raising a nation of couch potatoes, childhood obesity is running rampant mostly because kids come home and plop their asses on a couch and play Maddden Football in front of a TV instead of going out and actually playing the game in their frontyard or a lot in the neighborhood.

Hays Rec is the biggest waste of Taxpayer Money around. They offer all kinds of crap programs that maybe a handful of people attend. The Aquatic Park is a joke, losing money every year it has been open. The Sports Complex will be the next Loser of money year after year.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2008-03-27

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:27 am

Nex Tech should fund this whole stadium. Write it off as an advertising expense.
Back to top Go down
supermom75
Rookie
Rookie
supermom75

Number of posts : 183

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 am

I totally agree about video games, I hate them, but I know how much my kids enjoy playing them. I don't allow my kids to vege out on them, they know they have school work chores, LOTS of chores to do daily before they get to play them. I also know my boys would much rather be at the skate park then sittin in front of the t.v. They used to play football, baseball and soccer every season with the rec, but they got older and developed a love for skateboarding. The only time they arent there is when it's raining or snowing, or I feel it's too cold to go. I do believe too many parents are letting their kids be raised by video games, and the internet, but they're the ones who will suffer in the long run when they realize they don't know their kids or their kids are so socially challenged they can't hold a conversation with another human being. Hell I could go on and on about video games and kids.......

I would really like to try to understand why so many people feel the sports complex is such a waste. I know when my kids were involved with HRC, they learned, had fun, and appreciated all the services offered by the organization. I do know they didnt care to go to the HRC gym because the only thing they could really do there was play basketball, and they hate basketball. I'm hoping the new complex will be all it's hyped to be. I along with the majority of Ellis county residents, obviously feel we can benefit from it. So what, we have a tiny bit of a tax increase, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the "change" we'll be getting from our new president. I guess I'd much rather pay for something that my kids, their friends, and our community will be able to use, than pay for the single mom with five kids by five different men to sit on her ass and know that she no longer has to worry(or work) about payin her rent or fillin her gas tank because her guy won the election.
Back to top Go down

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm

What is it "hyped to be"?
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Let's say Junior wants to play ball , unless mom and pop want to take him to the complex, he has his choice of crossing 2 hiways to get there. Not a good idea if you ask me. So unless it is a rec activity, this place isn't going to see much action. With a little planning something could have been done in town with greater benifits to kids and the community.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:09 pm

I see a new complex opened in Overland Park,That will get teams flocking to Western Kansas
Back to top Go down
kidrkp

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-24

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I didn't realize this when I agreed with the sports complex, and maybe it was due to my lack of really getting involved, but it is my understanding that this complex is only going to have about 4 fields. You cannot host a tourney with this little amnt of fields. KSYSA suggests a minimum of 10 fields. So, I'm not sure how this is going to bring in lots of teams, revenue, etc. I could be wrong, so somebody set me straight if I am!
Back to top Go down

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Too late now, just keep paying your tax.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:34 pm

kidrkp wrote:
I didn't realize this when I agreed with the sports complex, and maybe it was due to my lack of really getting involved, but it is my understanding that this complex is only going to have about 4 fields. You cannot host a tourney with this little amnt of fields. KSYSA suggests a minimum of 10 fields. So, I'm not sure how this is going to bring in lots of teams, revenue, etc. I could be wrong, so somebody set me straight if I am!

The ten fields don't all have to be in one location. They probably require that you have a certain number of hotel rooms available, also. They can be spread out a bit too.
They also can host soccer tournaments.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 1:13 am

Besides 2 highways they also have to cross Big Creek on the train bridge. lest we forget "Stand by me" and the train bridge sequence. affraid
Back to top Go down

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:10 am

I hope they dont fall into the hole in that bridge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New sports arena Empty
PostSubject: Re: New sports arena   New sports arena Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New sports arena
Page 1 of 1