Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

FHSU Professor goes crazy!

Go down 
+31
zeke
Bighead
nobodysbusiness
jewelz
dz724
suzyj
jtwice
robert
Samwitty
Blackie Kuhn
Oz
The Other One
Degeneration X
stormy
nitromaxx98
Roadstar
steinem
lucy lou
jrroberts
Smokey Bear
gibleis
LukeTHr
luv2cook
my2cents
SciFi
plowboy
Ratzilla
jessks75
Justoo
slickjay12
bg0308
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-04-03

FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 11:29 pm

better quality then the original one.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 am

Does it show any more of what led up to the confrontation?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm

HDN reports press conference on Shanahan controversy at 9:30 a.m. Friday at Memorial Union.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Too bad the big media outlets cant be there.

Also this is from the KWCH website. http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=8825090

Quote :
Update

Professor Bill Shanahan responded to our emails on Tuesday morning. He addressed it to Jen Montenegro, a producer who contacted him around four o'clock Central time Monday afternoon:

jen:
sending me an email at 5pm on the night you intend to air this does not actually fulfill your editorial or ethical responsibility - of course, i understand the urgency of airing it right away irrespective of any real opportunity for me to respond, since it did happen 3 months ago
thanks
:bill

bwahahahahaa!
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:40 pm

What an ass!

Eeeee-yaaaaw!

FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Donkey
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 7:41 pm

FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724
Roadstar wrote:
HDN reports press conference on Shanahan controversy at 9:30 a.m. Friday at Memorial Union.
FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 838724
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 10:52 am

HE'S BEEN FIRED!! My fiance went to the meeting this morning and just called me.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:34 am

There is hope for the world yet. I don't wish any harm to the guy but I am glad to see he has been held accountable for his actions.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

from tha KAKE website......

HAYS, Kan. -- Dr. Edward H. Hammond, president of Fort Hays State University, announced today that the university had dismissed Dr. Bill Shanahan, assistant professor of communication studies and coach of the school's debate program, for violating the university's faculty code of ethics.

Shanahan became notorious over the past two weeks after a video was posted on the popular YouTube Internet site that showed him in a wild confrontation with the debate coach from the University of Pittsburgh during a Cross Examination Debate Association event that was held during the spring 2008 semester at Wichita State University.

FHSU just learned of Shanahan's actions when the video was posted the first week of August. "No one from the tournament staff notified us about the incident last spring, which is a surprise given the scope of what happened," President Hammond said. "Everyone has the right to freedom of speech, but these actions are not acceptable for someone who is representing our university."

The president continued: "Professor Shanahan's conduct falls below the standard established to protect our university, its faculty, students and alumni. As a representative of FHSU, he had a duty of care that was seriously breached by his behavior."

"If the coach of one of our athletic teams became angry and 'mooned' officials, student athletes and fans during a sports event, he or she would no longer be a coach at Fort Hays State University," President Hammond said. "Standards for our debate program are certainly just as high."

The YouTube video showed Shanahan in an angry, prolonged, obscenity-laced shouting match with University of Pittsburgh debate coach Shanara Reid-Brinkley following a debate between FHSU and Towson State of Maryland. The FHSU team had exercised its prerogative under the debate rules to dismiss Reid-Brinkley as a judge of the FHSU-Towson State debate. Both the Towson State debate team and Reid-Brinkley said the decision to remove a black female judge was an act of white hegemony, which is to say an exercise of the power whites enjoy over people of color. At one point early in the post-debate argument, Shanahan turned his back to Reid-Brinkley, pulled down his shorts and bent over to expose his underwear-clad backside.

The president also stated that the FHSU debate program was suspended, effective immediately, until problems were addressed at the national level. He said steps were being taken so as not to disadvantage the FHSU debate students in the coming year.

The president said it was equally important for FHSU to take a stand against the declining standards of college debate. "We are an institute of higher learning, and this incident provides a valuable 'teaching moment,' " he said. "Our society has become increasingly confrontational and uncivil. Our investigation revealed that those ills have also infected college debate. We have a responsibility not only to deal with the specific incident but to stand up against this decline in the standards of college debate."

"I was a college debater," Dr. Hammond said. "I place high value on college debate as an exceptional learning opportunity. However, I had no idea that college debate had degenerated into the kind of displays that we witnessed when we watched CEDA events on the Internet. College debate has changed greatly. The lack of decorum and the lack of civility are not compatible with the educational standards at FHSU, and I doubt they are compatible with the educational standards at most universities."

He added, "If anyone doubts my conclusion, that person should view the entire debate, which was laced with four-letter words, a lack of personal respect and a lack of civil discourse."

Shanahan and a debate coach from the University of Pittsburgh are seen on the clip screaming obscenities at each other in front of a room filled with students. At one point, Shanahan lowers his shorts and shows his underwear to the students.
Back to top Go down
chucki

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 pm

GOOD MOVE! How about getting rid of fast ed next?
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Glad to see that Uncle Eddie finally found some testicular fortitude, kept the Integrity of an State Educational Institution intact and of course bowed down to his overwhelming fear of losing those big dollar contributions for his Beloved FHSU Donors to actually do the right thing for once.

Tenure means nothing when the lack of morals of a whacked out Professor's version of a Haight-Ashbury 60's Acid Flashback at a National Debate Tournament gets plastered all over the internet. Time for Shanahan to get a life, take a long look in the mirror and for once at least ditch the "Old 60's Hippie look" and bravely walk into to at least the 80's reality of life. That and maybe go and get some kind of counciling to help him with the delusions of how one should act with that much education. He must of skipped the PHD in Common Sense and how to act as a civilized carbon based lifeform in the real world. At least it is one less Wacko at Uncle Ed's Daycare down south, maybe he can get rid of some of the others soon.

I would surmise this is one of the only times Uncle Ed's "High Tech, High Touch" University Slogan actually bore some fruit!
Back to top Go down
lowrider
Rookie
Rookie
lowrider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Glad to see that once in awhile people are held responsible for their actions. I too think Fast Eddie was being pressured by people who hold the purses. In my opinion Eddies actions have often not been consistant with the standards that a university president should be held to. Maybe it's time to clean more rooms then one at the FHSU house.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm

oh HELL YES! cheers FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 862468 FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 952780
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Damn shame that in the push to oust Shanahan that ya'll had to support the BS from a woman whining about racism. I'da mooned the bitch too.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Damn shame that in the push to oust Shanahan that ya'll had to support the BS from a woman whining about racism. I'da mooned the bitch too.

the bad thing I guess is that a black person screaming about racism is nothing new. I tend to just tune crap like that out cause it is like the little boy that cried wolf.....eventually you just get to a point of ignoring it cause you hear it so often.....
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:20 pm

I'll never be able to tune out such things as phoney claims of racism. Admit it man, had Shanahan been a spit and polished republican type guy in a nice suit he wouldn't PO you as much as he does looking like a flashback to 1969. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Shanara has been taken to task on the matter also. Don't know the full repercutions for her yet though.

Even with a haircut, shave and a manicure to go with that SeanJohn suit the language and actions were not compatible with the schools image.

Saw him in Dillon's on the way home this evening. He was chatting with a friend (I presume). As I passed near I heard him complain how "some people can judge a man's whole career by a nine minute video clip."
Although a few may have and that is unfortunate, most, I believe do understand that he was a respected individual in his area of expertise. He just had repeated incidents of reprehensible behavior. This, in itself, may have been easy enough to overlook. After all, they are just Hays people that were insulted and offended. But unfortunately, for him, it got national...pardon the pun...exposure. And that is what got him canned.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Justoo wrote:
. He just had repeated incidents of reprehensible behavior..

And this right here is one of the reasons I wanted him axed.
That and the fact that he attacked my brother-in-law.
Back to top Go down
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 pm

luv2cook wrote:
the fact that he attacked my brother-in-law.

Thats a very good point. Did you see the 6pm KWCH and what they aired? They had interviewed him and he said something along the lines that if you had a bad 9 minutes of hell in your life taped what would it be.

Good thing it was that, and NOT the attack that was made at his son's t-ball game.

They did mention how he was arrested twice

I'm just glad he's outta there!
Back to top Go down
steinem
Rookie
Rookie
steinem

Number of posts : 150

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Ratzilla wrote:

I agree. She should be axed. She irritated me more than he did. I think her language and her argument regarding his presumed prejudice were more repulsive than his pants dropping. Shanahan is clearly not a racist. She was just playing the card. And that is such a tired old game.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:47 pm

steinem wrote:

I agree. She should be axed. Shanahan is clearly not a racist. She was just playing the card. And that is such a tired old game.

This I agree with as well. 100%
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 am

I disagree, we repress minorities on a daily basis, or so we think.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 pm

I reckon quite a few self-righteous Chermans will sleep well tonight knowing that one less damn dirty hippy will be inhabiting their little colony- potentially making somebody uncomfortable.

I also reckon the FHSU had every right to can him... but that doesn't make it a good decision. I'm told that his classes were quite popular- students were challenged and learnt plenty. My wife says he was her favorite professor as an undergrad.

But who gives a rat's ass about any of that? The important thing is that nobody rocks the boat or upsets the status quo.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 pm

oh pleaseeeee Rolling Eyes

This isnt about being a self righteous "Cherman". Biased much?

Its about representing yourself, your job and your hometown in an appropriate manner. He did none of the above. And Im quite sure he was popular on campus, big shocker. Someone who acts this way would be popular with a bunch of kids. Doesnt make him any less an idiot to the rest of the growups here.
Back to top Go down
gibleis

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Back to top Go down
gibleis

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Hey Bighead I'm sure he'll find new employment and may even better himself and his family. If you'd like I'll try and find out where and when they move, maybe you can join them.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Don't worry that square Cherman head of yours- I've already left your little Volga enclave. Though I still stop for gas now and then.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 12:43 am

Bighead wrote:
Don't worry that square Cherman head of yours- I've already left your little Volga enclave. Though I still stop for gas now and then.

He he he he-that's friggen funny!!!Tou·ché cheers
Back to top Go down
steinem
Rookie
Rookie
steinem

Number of posts : 150

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 am

Bighead wrote:
I reckon quite a few self-righteous Chermans will sleep well tonight knowing that one less damn dirty hippy will be inhabiting their little colony- potentially making somebody uncomfortable.

I also reckon the FHSU had every right to can him... but that doesn't make it a good decision. I'm told that his classes were quite popular- students were challenged and learnt plenty. My wife says he was her favorite professor as an undergrad.

But who gives a rat's ass about any of that? The important thing is that nobody rocks the boat or upsets the status quo.

I too have been told by his previous students that he was a good instructor. And I have a few names of PhD's that don't teach their subjects and the students are treated like something they stepped in. We'll keep the conservative acting egotistic pompous asses. So what if they don't teach, they dress right and they don't show their underware.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 am

steinem wrote:
So what if they don't teach, they dress right and they don't show their underware.

These too should be excused from the rolls.
I had a teacher in high school that didn't teach. My counselor ask why I was failing that class. I said I was getting out of that class as much as he was putting into it. I further stated that if he deserved a paycheck I deserved an A. I didn't get an A, but he was forced to give me a passing grade (D--). His contract was not renewed.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

Part of the problem (in my opionion) with some college professors is that they generally don't have to take any classes on pedagogy or learning theories before they start instructing. There is no doubt in my mind that they are incredibly intelligent about their subjects, but most of them have not learned "how to teach".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FHSU Professor goes crazy!   FHSU Professor goes crazy! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FHSU Professor goes crazy!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4