Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time

Go down 
+3
dz724
Ratzilla
The Other One
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Empty
PostSubject: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 3:28 pm

The guy should be honored as a hero, not arrested. The charges need to be dropped or Gov. Crist needs to step in and pardon him. He has requested that people NOT donate to any legal defense fund for him. Instead, he would like the money donated to groups that are working to stop bullying.

"This is something that happens all over the nation. We have children committing suicide because of bullying, and that's unacceptable. We need to put a stop to it."

Link to "We Support James Jones" on Facebook
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I wonder if her school allows personal assistance dogs? Like maybe a rottweiler or doberman.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I commend him for advocating for his daughter, however, by going about it the way he did he turned out to be a bully himself. He should have spoken to the bus driver, bus company or school to see what would be done about the bullying that was happening. At least then it would have been a teachable moment. Perhaps those kiddos needed some peer training to better understand the girls' condition. (I know,I know... Spoken like a teacher.... Yada, Yada.)
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Dad probably embarrassed his daughter too. Maybe it's not PC but when he saw the bullying happen he could have shouted to his daughter across the bus not to worry because most kids quit being bullies when they stop wetting the bed.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Maybe she could have quit taking the bus? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Dad probably embarrassed his daughter too. Maybe it's not PC but when he saw the bullying happen he could have shouted to his daughter across the bus not to worry because most kids quit being bullies when they stop wetting the bed.

I should have known to not take a drink while reading your post. Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Smiley25-1
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 am

dz724 wrote:
I commend him for advocating for his daughter, however, by going about it the way he did he turned out to be a bully himself. He should have spoken to the bus driver, bus company or school to see what would be done about the bullying that was happening. At least then it would have been a teachable moment. Perhaps those kiddos needed some peer training to better understand the girls' condition. (I know,I know... Spoken like a teacher.... Yada, Yada.)

He did apologize on Good Morning America, but he had also previously contacted the school with no results. My first reaction when seeing the video on TV was that he has been watching too much A-Team, but after learning the whole situation, he reacted the way any caring parent would. They were putting condoms on her head. Shouldn't the bus driver have his head out of his ass enough to notice?
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am

I was bullied in school by one kid when I was younger. My parents went in numerous times to the school to speak to the teachers, principal, superintedent & nothing ever got resolved. The bullying didn't stop until the kid & his family moved away. I commend this father for taking action, even if inappropriate. I just feel like our school systems don't want to be involved in those type of situations & they just look the other direction.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:42 pm

The Other One wrote:
My first reaction when seeing the video on TV was that he has been watching too much A-Team, but after learning the whole situation, he reacted the way any caring parent would. They were putting condoms on her head. Shouldn't the bus driver have his head out of his ass enough to notice?

That is bad. But I'm sure for a few dollars her dad could have gotten some older kids to do the same to the bullies. And he could request the condoms be in a "used" condition. Smile

suzyr wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

I should have known to not take a drink while reading your post. Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Smiley25-1

Glad I could bring a smile to your day.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:03 am

The whole thing is messed up... I can neither endorse nor refudiate the guy's actions.

But this kind of thing should come as no surprise when every child is forceably institutionalized 8 hours a day for 13+ years.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 4:53 am

Yeah, running wild on the streets all day would produce much better kids. Rolling Eyes

But on the other hand, when kids stayed at home and worked all day and their parents whipped the crap out of them for even speaking out of turn there was much less misbehavior. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am

Bighead wrote:
The whole thing is messed up... I can neither endorse nor refudiate the guy's actions.

But this kind of thing should come as no surprise when every child is forceably institutionalized 8 hours a day for 13+ years.

How long have you been waiting to use that word, Bighead? LOL...

As a parent of a special needs kid who was mercilessly bullied on the bus and school grounds, it's instinct to just react, then think later. After putting myself into "situations" trying to help my kid, I learned how to moderate my reactions, to lessen the effect on him. Ultimately, you're trying to help your kid, not make it worse for him/her, to fit in with the peers. Having a parent flip out, doesn't help that.

Last edited by suzyr on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Quote :
How long have you been waiting to use that word, Bighead? LOL...

It's a regular part of my vocabulary these days... just like 'strategery'.

As for the OP, I personally don't blame this guy for making an ass of himself. He's stuck in a situation where his kid will be picked on... he's required to send his kid in every day to be herded around like cattle... he isn't allowed to stick up for his kid personally... AND people in the public schools won't do it either. It's a shitty situation for everybody.

Sure, he could've handled it better. Having a grown man flip out and threaten kids- even shithead kids- just isn't gonna work out. Now if he had a little more money, he could pay a lawyer to send a nasty letter to the school administration... and/or he could send his kid to a different school. But options like that aren't readily available for working slobs like us.

Last edited by Bighead on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Bighead wrote:
Sure, he could've handled it better. Having a grown man flip out and threaten kids- even shithead kids- just isn't gonna work out. Now if he had a little more money, he could pay a lawyer to send a nasty letter to the school administration... and/or he could send his kid to a different school. But options like that aren't readily available for working slobs like us.

Or he could have hired a couple older kids for a few dollars to get even ten fold. Alot of kids nowdays would shove their own grandmothers face in a dog pile for a $20.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:17 pm

I guess I didn't know the previous attempt/ condom on head part of the story. It still doesn't make it "acceptable" but it does explain a bit more about why he reacted the way he did.

I forget that not everyone goes to a school like the one I work at. I can HONESTLY say that the teachers aren't afraid to call a kid out for bullying if it's been reported. I've done it myself a couple of times already this year.

I would think that she should have qualified for some "special education transportation" that might have reduced the encounters with these children.

There is a right way and a wrong way to advocate for your child and I personally would like to think I would have persisted that someone did something about the bullying even if I had to go above the building level to get it done. Noone learned a life lesson from this. But I am glad that he's been appologetic for the behavior. I don't think he needs to appologize for the intent behind the behavior.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm

You know dz, you brought up a thought. Maybe a good punishment for the bullies would be to make "them" ride on the short bus. The other kids would no doubt have fun with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time   Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Florida Dad Stands Up for Disabled Daughter, Now Faces Jail Time
Page 1 of 1