Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Local Weather

Go down 
+29
robert
SciFi
alg8tr
zeke
crutch51
bdc1515
The Other One
lowrider
Blackie Kuhn
Bighead
slider
dz724
lisav
nitromaxx98
Owlg8tr
SlumberGirl
Justoo
suzyj
nobodysbusiness
CountryGirl
cobra_kel
Ratzilla
chiefsfan
wilkykav2
jessks75
slickjay12
luv2cook
Degeneration X
LukeTHr
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Local Weather - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:02 am

luv2cook wrote:
I personally think the whole thing is getting out of hand.

In a way. The increased awareness is good, but there are problems with all the self proclaimed experts out there. Legit storm spotters don't intentionally put themselves in the path. The object is to observe safely when possible and give public warning. I've seen too many tours, glory/fame hunters, and party time chasers go down roads with no escape routes, and drive with no regard to other traffic or emergency services.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Pretty nice rain here... .30 in the Kuhn rain guage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:52 am

Huh... we never got the predicted rain yesterday. So far, this morning, the sky is clear and humidity is low-ish (for eastern ks). I fear we'll get hit with it later today.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
Pretty nice rain here... .30 in the Kuhn rain guage Very Happy

Amounts varied widely here. I think the high winds affected readings, especially where a tree or building was upwind of the gauge. Mine showed .60 others were from .25 to .75 Radar estmates, which I've found to be accurate, show as much as 2.5" between Yocemento and Antonino.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:40 pm

.50 in south Hays.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:07 pm

.45 after last nite and looks like another toad strangler comin at us Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Starting to sound like a gun range...
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:33 am

Just spent an hour and a half in the basement. Christ Im getting too old for this shit.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:57 am

any damage to your area?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:34 am

No serious damage reported yet. Some tree damage and minor flooding. Tornado touchdowns South of Ellis and Yocemento but they were brief.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:09 am

Glad y'all survived! We got nothin' over here.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:02 am

Only .75 in the Kuhn rain guage this morning.. I thought there would be more as hard as it rained. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
No serious damage reported yet. Some tree damage and minor flooding. Tornado touchdowns South of Ellis and Yocemento but they were brief.

My cousin lives otu there by Antonino and she told me they had a bunch of hail damage and that the wheat was looking bad out that way.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:26 am

Didn't mean to mislead. When I think of storm damage I'm usually thinking of tornado touchdowns, large hail, flooding, and severe level winds. I'm sure all the hail and rain I saw did crop damage. Radar estimates on rainfall were over 3" in a few places and hail was generally small but heavy in places and driven by moderate (35-40 mph) winds. I'm sure there was likely unreported damage too. Usually is.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:31 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
Only .75 in the Kuhn rain guage this morning.. I thought there would be more as hard as it rained. Very Happy

That's what I showed too. I don't trust gauges if there's alot of wind though. I remember a downpour once with high winds that caused minor flooding, yet only showed .25 in the gauge. Horizontal winds blew most of the rain right past it.
Back to top Go down
fescue
Rookie
Rookie
fescue

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:24 am

I got a shitload of rain
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Beautiful night tonight took a nice walk, looking forward to more!!
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Was a beautiful day in the neighborhood... need more like today.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:20 am

I agree suzy, long time coming but finally here. Gooey and humid but perfect night to ride motorcycles all night and sleep all day. Aw the good old bad days/daze.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 am

Looks like a fare patch of rain on the way,
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:54 am

I bet it splits in half and goes around the Hace area Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Well Ellis got a whippin today. Whether abnormally strong downbursts or tornado I'd estmate wind speeds in excess of 100 MPH. A common thunderstorm doesn't blow down chain link fence, carry big round bales up to half a mile, knock over tombstones, send a semi with a heavy trailer flying, or bend flagpoles.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Around that time I was watching Dodge radar pretty closely. Switched over to wind velocity mode frequently. Saw a distinct green spot amongst a red background. It appeared to be a mile or two east of Ellis when I first noticed it. The short range indicated a small hook echo in the same area. Seems to back up your thoughts on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 am

Looks like I made a bad call early in the game.I did get 2.25 inches in the Kuhn rain guage though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:16 am

Justoo wrote:
Around that time I was watching Dodge radar pretty closely. Switched over to wind velocity mode frequently. Saw a distinct green spot amongst a red background. It appeared to be a mile or two east of Ellis when I first noticed it. The short range indicated a small hook echo in the same area. Seems to back up your thoughts on the matter.

Wonder why the guy from the weather service never mentioned that? I think it was possibly a combination of short tornado touchdowns, maybe what's called "gustnadoes", and microbursts. Guy from the weather service says just microbursts.

Gustnadoes commonly happen along the front or flanks of storms with heavy cool outflow winds mixing with warmer air. They may be easily missed by radars because they aren't always very high up in the storm, but are created by the high winds of outflow closer to ground. A gust front tornado isn't a true tornado, but a gustnado can still have winds equal to an F1 or maybe even weak F2 tornado.

Personally, I like the "TORRO" scale of tornadic damage more than the so called enhanced Fujita because TORRO breaks it down to 10 easily understood damage levels. The worst damage in this case would be T3 or T4. The TORRO is mostly used in Europe and considered outdated, but the Enhanced Fujita is very confusing at times and IMO was never intended for the general public to understand. First you have to take wind speeds and then compare the types of structures, blah blah blah. I really don't like the EF ratings. Just tell us how hard the friggin wind blew and be done with it.

One thing the weather service and locals agree on is that winds here were 100 MPH or greater.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 am

how many microburst??
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:47 pm

jessks75 wrote:
how many microburst??

A microburst can be a couple miles long, or very small. It's actually windshear from a storm that drops straight down, which is why it's also called a downdraft or downburst, and then it spreads fast upon hitting ground. It's that outward spread that does the damage and may cause small spin up tornadoes. How many a storm might produce is something I can't say I know.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Cool photo of double gustnadoes formed during a downburst.

Local Weather - Page 14 2gustnadoes
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 am

I can't sllep cuz suzy's sending her storm my way! Looks like they're getting a nasty round of weather there. Lots of rain, lightning and thunder here. But the main line of storms aren't here yet!
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 1:35 am

It has been raining hard here in Gardner for the past 2 hours. I'm just pissed because the we keep losing satellite signal.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 2:12 am

Most of Ellis Co. lucked out. Only a small area in the NW got any wind or hail damage. Guess Southern/Central Rooks got hammered by bigger hail though. Looks like one big squall line is impacting the entire Eastern KS border now. Already hit KC. Probably be some wind damage.

Wow, radar estimates in some places 4 to 6 inches including the South side of the KC area. And a huge area from Great Bend to Salina to Concordia with 2 1/2 to 5 inch amounts. Looks like the Topeka area got an average of 2 to 3. What's bad is some of the places between Topeka and KC are going to get plenty more.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm

Pretty good shower here tonite. .50 in the Kuhn rain guage Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 10:32 pm

.70 here.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Most of Ellis Co. lucked out. Only a small area in the NW got any wind or hail damage. Guess Southern/Central Rooks got hammered by bigger hail though. Looks like one big squall line is impacting the entire Eastern KS border now. Already hit KC. Probably be some wind damage.

Wow, radar estimates in some places 4 to 6 inches including the South side of the KC area. And a huge area from Great Bend to Salina to Concordia with 2 1/2 to 5 inch amounts. Looks like the Topeka area got an average of 2 to 3. What's bad is some of the places between Topeka and KC are going to get plenty more.

Lawrence and Manhattan were already flooded last night. This is going to be way too much.

As for Topeka, maybe the hard rain will clean the place up a little.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 11:39 pm

We have had close to 10 inches of rain here in the past 2 weeks. We had a nice storm come through here last night that dumped almost 2 inches of rain, it was nice looking at the river of water flowing across the street from someone's backyard.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 am

Hail and repeated winds of 50+ mph went through here tonight in a slow moving storm. Sounds like there was flooding in the SW part of Trego and a couple other counties from a storm that just sit and dumped on them for 3 hours.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 5:24 am

Radar estimates in that area indicated more than 12". That's all the higher Goodland radar goes. Dodges radar only goes to 10"

My personal guess is 18" - 24" in a small area near where Ness, Lane, Gove And Trego counties meet. Might actually make it to Cedar Bluff since it was all in the Smokey valley.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Rather see it in Cedar Bluff than one of the towns. How are you getting your calculation of 18+ justoo?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Observation and assumption.

This particular storm popped up on the radar about 5 pm. It never moved. It just sat in one place and poured until a little after 9 pm. I became fascinated with this storm early on because it was showing heavy rainfall rates from nearly the moment it began and I wondered if it would wander to the ENE towards Hays.
Let's break this storm into 5 time segments to make a short story long.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Segment 1 - The Birth

This is a one-half hour segment, 5:00-5:30. Approximately.

Checked the storm total and the one-hour total frequently during this span. They agreed with each other on amounts consistently. After 30 minutes they both showed 3".
Total so far - 3"
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Segment 2 - Puberty - Young Adult

5:30 - 6:30

The one hour totals ranged up to 6" near the end of this hour. The storm total indicated 8"or more, but less than 10" in some small spots.

Total so far - 8"-10"
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:14 pm

tornado watch... Ellis ...Russell .... Rooks..... Trego.... until 11 pm Saturday June 19 2010
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Segment 3 - Strong Adult

6:30 - 7:30

The one hour totals indicated more than 6" most of this hour in spots. Near the end it was indicating 8" per hour. This gauge does not show rainfall amounts greater than this. If it were raining at a rate of 12" per hour it would still only indicate a rate of more than 8".

The storm total showed an area that had received 10" or more shortly into this segment . This area grew in size as the time passed. This gauge maxes out at 10". Anything above that is speculation.

Total during this period - No less than 6" and perhaps as much as 10".

Total so far - 14" - 20"
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Segment 4 - Post Middle Age

7:30 - 8:30

The one hour total stayed at the 8" or greater rate for a short while but was at the rate of 6" per hour most of the hour. Near the end of the segment it had fallen to a rate of 3" per hour.

The storm total showed a growing area of 10" or more.

Total during this period - 4" to perhaps 7"

Total so far 18" - 27"
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Segment 5 - The Death.

8:30 - 9:30

The one hour total soon fell to 2" but never dropped below that until it died as suddenly as it was born.

The storm total showed an area that was 12 - 15 miles long (E-W) and 4 - 6 mile wide (N-S) that was 10" or more.

Total during this segment - up to 2"

Storm total 18" - 29" in localized spots.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 1:04 am

I'd be interested to know if anyone had a tall gauge and measured it. The highest hourly rainfall figure in the world was 12.0" recorded in Holt, Missouri on June 22 1907. The storms tonight showed 12 to 15 inches on radar near Stockton. Some Christian MC riders were in Walmart earlier and told me 3 or 4 riders went down in the Stockton area trying to ride through the storms.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey NB, where abouts up there got the baseball size hail?
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm

no where near Hoxie that I heard. We had quarter sized here at the house - but didnt' hear any bigger.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 am

nobodysbusiness wrote:
no where near Hoxie that I heard. We had quarter sized here at the house - but didnt' hear any bigger.

Channel 2 weatherman said they had a report of baseball size hail near Hoxie.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

hmm - only heard quarter sized on the scanner. I dunno!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Weather   Local Weather - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local Weather
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next