Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck

Go down 
+13
The Other One
Serpico
Ratzilla
SciFi
Bighead
slickjay12
jewelz
kidrkp
lucky
kansas kid
zeke
LukeTHr
Justoo
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Empty
PostSubject: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 am

Early last year, with a barrel of oil trading in the low $50s and gasoline nationally selling in a range of $2.30 to $2.50 a gallon, Mr. Gaines — in an impressive display of crystal ball gazing — accurately predicted oil was $100-bound and that gasoline would follow suit by reaching $4 a gallon.

http://www2.nysun.com/article/75363
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 2:48 pm

so did he really predict this or did he maybe have some inside info that he had gotten from the powers that control all this that the prices were in the progress of rising to the point they chose. He was just used as the messenger to deliver the news. Possible, maybe???
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 pm

has anyone noticed how the media is now saying 5 bucks a gallon by summer instead of 4?
Back to top Go down
kansas kid
kansas kid

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:54 pm

It's nice gas came down a few cents. It will probably go back up.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 6:34 am

kansas kid wrote:
It will probably go back up.
You could safely bet your kids college fund on that.
Back to top Go down
lucky
lucky

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 8:57 am

The 24/7 store out by Holiday Inn has had the cheapest gas for a couple weeks now. It was at 3.25 last night...what a bargain!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickrenselty
kidrkp

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 12:26 pm

I filled there yesterday, it only cost me $55.00 to fill instead of $65-I was happy!
Back to top Go down
jewelz
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
jewelz

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 12:56 pm

If EVERYONE would get together and not buy any gas for one (1) Day if not a week! The prices would come down! We just keep buying the gas.....they think we have no problem with the prices... May the 15th . NO ONE BUY GAS!! PAST THIS AROUND!! See if this brings the price down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stay at home and drink beer or ? all day!!! Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck 364910
Back to top Go down
http://www.firstpeople bears.com
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 5:14 pm

jewelz wrote:
If EVERYONE would get together and not buy any gas for one (1) Day if not a week! The prices would come down! We just keep buying the gas.....they think we have no problem with the prices... May the 15th . NO ONE BUY GAS!! PAST THIS AROUND!! See if this brings the price down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stay at home and drink beer or ? all day!!! Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck 364910

this boycott has been proven wrong so many times
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck 2383196091_b37733a47a
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Bighead wrote:
Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck 2383196091_b37733a47a
What do you hear at the shop about the price of Diesel, Bighead?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:54 am

Well, Scifi- I broke our shop's crystal ball a little while back... used it for a hammer. It's been sent out for repair, but we probably won't get it back for a few weeks.

The biggest effect I've seen so far of the price of diesel is that I'm overhauling more engines than I can keep up with. When a truck has major engine trouble, it isn't uncommon for an owner/operator to decide that it's time for a new(er) truck. But with these fuel prices lately, they do the math on a new truck payment and realize that they can't make ends meet. They can either pay $50k-$100k to upgrade... or they can pay $10k-$15k to overhaul the engine and keep driving the truck they have. One after another has been going with the latter option at the shop lately. Mo money fo me.

TBH, I think all the hand-wringing over fuel prices is over-blown. Yeah, it sucks that I'm paying $40 to fill up my little econo-box. But back when fuel was under $2/gal, I was driving a pickup that got half the fuel mileage of my current ride (i.e., it still cost $40 to fill up and go roughly the same number of miles). Sorry, folks... but if you're making payments on a $20k+ pickup and whining about gas prices... I got no sympathy for you.

Actually, I expect to see a repeat of the late 70's/early 80's. I reckon it'll take a few years, but I expect the price of oil to crash in due time.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 12:13 pm

I paid $3000 for my current vehicle. Most I've had cost under $1000 and I drove most of them for 5 years or more. Anyone remember Bollig on 27th sitting there with a big fist full of cash and a cigar in his face during the gas wars? I think I remember it being as low or lower than 29 cents once or twice.
Back to top Go down
Serpico

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:03 pm

I do remeber 'ol Slug setting there at that station on 27th. They were always at least 1 penny cheaper than anyone else in Hays. He was a good guy and I miss him- he died 2 or 3 years ago from CHF. Does anyone remember the name of that place? Was it ASB Oil? If not that, it was something similar.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 9:13 pm

ASB oil sounds right, but I'm not sure if it was always called that. Yeah, that one cent cheaper gas meant alot when it was under 30 cents a gallon. Cars flocked there. I used to ask to take the money in to Bollig when we got gas just because I liked dealing with a guy who had a fist full of cash. Honestly though, I thought he'd probably been gone for quite awhile longer than 2 or 3 years. Too bad he's gone, I can still picture him sitting there counting cash and chewing on his stogie.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:13 pm

lucky wrote:
The 24/7 store out by Holiday Inn has had the cheapest gas for a couple weeks now. It was at 3.25 last night...what a bargain!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn this weekend. I noticed on Saturday that the stations right there were cheaper than anywhere else in town. They were $3.59 and Casey's on 27th was $3.69. Figured they'd try to catch up, so I filled up. Sure enough, when we went to breakfast on Sunday, they were at $3.68. I know the service at IHOP is slow, but when we went back, they were all up to $3.78. That's 19 cents overnight, folks, for no particular reason. After HHS graduation yesterday, the 27/7 had dropped theirs a whole penny to $3.77. However, Casey's was still at $3.69. WTF is with Hays?
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:17 pm

what's a sawbuck????
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:09 pm

It may have something to do with how much they paid for their most recent load of gas. If they don't sell as much and are still sitting on gasoline they bought cheaper, they can keep the prices down. Hard to say.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Moff
Dusty Moff

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm

saw·buck Audio Help (sô'bŭk') Pronunciation Key
n.
A sawhorse, especially one having a crossed pair of legs at each end.
Slang A ten-dollar bill.
[Origin: 1840–50, Americanism; so called from the resemblance of the Roman numeral X to the crossbars of a sawbuck1]
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:38 pm

thanks!!!!i will walk if it goes that high!!
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:26 pm

thats worse than I thought... I figured it was 5 bucks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck   Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gasoline May Soon Cost a Sawbuck
Page 1 of 1