Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Snow removal cost city $16,000

Go down 
+13
lilchefed
publisher
Justoo
Bighead
Ratzilla
Blackie Kuhn
The Other One
plowboy
slider
SlumberGirl
luv2cook
Degeneration X
CountryGirl
17 posters
AuthorMessage
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Snow removal cost city $16,000 Empty
PostSubject: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:38 pm

By KALEY CONNER

kconner@dailynews.net

Responding to last week's snowstorm, which dumped between 8 and 10 inches of snow in Hays, cost the city more than $16,000.

City employees spent 416 man-hours of regular time and 120 overtime hours plowing and removing the snow. The calculated $16,000 cost accounts for the service division's street cleaning efforts but does not include extra work and overtime by other city departments, according to information from the public works office.

City crews began plowing the streets at 5 a.m. Dec. 8 and implemented continuous, 24-hour operations through the afternoon of Dec. 10, using six dump trucks and five pickups with snow plows.

The response efforts also used 60 cubic yards of sand, 120 tons of salt and more than 1,000 gallons of fuel.

"Every snow or ice event is different and requires somewhat of a customized response," John Braun, assistant director of public works, stated in a press release. "However, the city has an operational plan in place to help guide us through a snow event."

The city enacted the plan for emergency snow routes, which are heavily-traveled streets that are cleared for emergency services vehicles. This year's plan added reverse access roads north of Interstate 70 and 22nd Street from Canterbury to Commerce Parkway.

It's important for residents living in these areas to remove their vehicles to prevent them from getting plowed in, Braun said. The city also has the authority to have these vehicles towed at the owner's expense.

"To be on the safe side, a good rule to follow is, when snow is predicted or snow begins to fall, move your vehicle," Braun stated in a press release.

After high-priority routes were cleared, city crews made one pass down the center of each residential street, as has been the practice for the past several years, Braun said, noting more effort is focused on clearing intersections.

Okay seriously, only making one pass down residential streets is ridiculous...My street has finally cleared off after a week after the storm because of yesterday's warm-up...But when I have to use 4X4 to go down a street so I can return home or run errands is ridiculous...It was also quite interesting watching all the cars struggle getting through the mess of the residential streets
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

That was my biggest complaint living in Hays was the snow removal. The side streets are just as important to clear like Vine Street. People need a way to work and if they can't get off their street then Vine street is no good to clear off then.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:21 pm

Hell our street STILL isnt cleared off.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm

"It's important for residents living in these areas to remove their vehicles to prevent them from getting plowed in, Braun said. The city also has the authority to have these vehicles towed at the owner's expense. "To be on the safe side, a good rule to follow is, when snow is predicted or snow begins to fall, move your vehicle," Braun stated in a press release."

This is funny, where are you supposed to park your vehicles? I would be totally p'd off if I went outside to my vehicle to go to work and they had it towed off because I couldn't park in my driveway!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:16 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:
"It's important for residents living in these areas to remove their vehicles to prevent them from getting plowed in, Braun said. The city also has the authority to have these vehicles towed at the owner's expense. "To be on the safe side, a good rule to follow is, when snow is predicted or snow begins to fall, move your vehicle," Braun stated in a press release."

This is funny, where are you supposed to park your vehicles? I would be totally p'd off if I went outside to my vehicle to go to work and they had it towed off because I couldn't park in my driveway!
That only applies the streets that are designated Emergency Snow Routes, it has been that way for years.

If you don't live on one of those streets that are so designated, you have nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

well what about the emergency snow routes where there are apartments & no additional parking besides the street...as is the case down by the college area...what are they supposed to do then, park in the yard & receive a ticket for that...
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 pm

If you live on the same block as a City of Hays employee I bet your street was cleaned.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Read the ordinance and view the map Linky Thingy

Here is their press release from the last storm:

City of Hays, KS > Public Announcements > Snow Route >

Snow Route Map and Detailed Information

This notice is to remind citizens who live/work on or are adjacent to an Emergency Snow Route that the City Manager can declare a winter storm traffic emergency "whenever snow has accumulated or there is a possibility that snow will accumulate to such a depth that snow clearing/removal operations will be required…" When this occurs, it will be "unlawful to park a vehicle on any street designated as an Emergency Snow Route."

Citizens are asked to plan now, before the snow falls, to locate an alternate site to park vehicles off the street. By City Ordinance, if a winter storm traffic emergency is declared and vehicles are not moved, the vehicles will be towed away at the owner's expense.

To be on the safe side, a general rule of thumb is – when snow begins to fall – move the vehicles.

The public's cooperation is greatly appreciated. If there are questions, please contract the Hays Police Department at 625-1011 or the Hays Public Works Department at 628-7350.

Listen to KBSH-TV, KAYS, KHAZ, KJLS, KKQY, and KFIX radio stations for updates regarding advisories to move vehicles.

Have a safe winter.

Hays Police Department and Hays Public Works Department
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 am

Got to agree with slider on this one. (Damn, I can't believe I just typed that.)

The city needs to have some streets cleared immediately in order to provide emergency services, so citizens helping them out by not parking on those streets only makes sense. Of course, you could always find a way to never have to deal with it, like getting rid of your car or moving to Miami.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:26 am

Actually....I thought the City did a damn good job compared to previous storms.. It's December in Kansas folks, the streets could possibly get some snowfall...get used to it. It comes with the territory.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:57 am

Once streets get packed hard it's hard to go back and clear them because the blades will either skim over it or throw hard packed chunks of snow or ice which sucks to dig a car out of, not to mention it can damage cars. While there is necessary traffic doing that packing, there's also all those kids who don't have to go to school joyriding all day making sure it's well packed on side streets.

The day of the snow I saw high schoolers, and adults too, driving around continuously just playing in their 4WD's.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The day of the snow I saw high schoolers, and adults too, driving around continuously just playing in their 4WD's.

At least they were just out playing around. Snow days are prime days for robberies in some cities. Topeka, for instance.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Why is that?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Bighead wrote:
Why is that?

-Cops are busy with traffic accidents.
-Harder for cops to get around in the snow.
-Fewer customers at the robbery targets, such as liquor stores, mean less likelihood of a witness who is able to identify the robber.
-No school at Topeka High, so the students have don't have to wait until nighttime to commit crimes.
-Any number of reasons.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Need money for the afternoon matinee.

Need money for tickets to the Barbara Streisand concert.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 5:17 am

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

At least they were just out playing around. Snow days are prime days for robberies in some cities. Topeka, for instance.

The Other One wrote:
Bighead wrote:
Why is that?

-Cops are busy with traffic accidents.
-Harder for cops to get around in the snow.
-Fewer customers at the robbery targets, such as liquor stores, mean less likelihood of a witness who is able to identify the robber.
-No school at Topeka High, so the students have don't have to wait until nighttime to commit crimes.
-Any number of reasons.

Careful EP. Smile

Don't forget what you posted in the "Homeland Security Secretary" thread.

The Other One wrote:
Just saw Janet Napolitano trying to explain why TSA employees have posted airport security protocols online, essentially giving terrorists a handbook on beating the system.
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 11:20 am

Is the next possible snow storm mid-week gonna cost the same?
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:04 am

CountryGirl wrote:
Is the next possible snow storm mid-week gonna cost the same?
I presume it's in the City's budget to clear snow on a timely basis,If not there's something seriously wrong.
Back to top Go down
publisher

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:14 am

Country Girl,
If you would like to use a Hays Daily News story as a basis for discussion, which I appreciate by the way, put a link up that takes people to the web site. You are not allowed simply to copy and paste our stories onto this site. Thanks for your understanding. Administrators, if you would help ... ?
Patrick Lowry
Editor & Publisher
The Hays Daily News
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks for the clarification. Sure we will work with you.

How do you feel about quoting portions of your articles with an accompanying link?
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:11 pm

publisher wrote:
Country Girl,
If you would like to use a Hays Daily News story as a basis for discussion, which I appreciate by the way, put a link up that takes people to the web site. You are not allowed simply to copy and paste our stories onto this site. Thanks for your understanding. Administrators, if you would help ... ?
Patrick Lowry
Editor & Publisher
The Hays Daily News

Are you kidding me? I know we should respect copyright rules, but come on? The Hays Daily News should be happy that the original post atleast had the writers name in it.

Damn it, another reason to hate the Hays Daily, this list just keeps growing for me. Snow removal cost city $16,000 929670
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 4:55 pm

lilchefed wrote:
publisher wrote:
Country Girl,
Patrick Lowry
Editor & Publisher
The Hays Daily News

Are you kidding me? I know we should respect copyright rules, but come on? The Hays Daily News should be happy that the original post atleast had the writers name in it.

Damn it, another reason to hate the Hays Daily, this list just keeps growing for me. Snow removal cost city $16,000 929670

Hell, they should be happy that at least somebody actually read it...
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 pm

publisher wrote:
Country Girl,
Patrick Lowry
Editor & Publisher
The Hays Daily News

lilchefed wrote:

What he wrote was both the legal way, and reasonable. How much extra effort does it take to just do it the right way? No flame intended, lilchefed. To a few of us old fogies who have been with the forum for a long time, this has not, thankfully, come up in a long time, so some newer users may not have been familiar with it.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Cheery forecast

Wednesday...Snow...Freezing rain...Sleet and areas of light freezing drizzle in the morning...Then snow...Freezing rain and sleet rinse and repeat in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. North winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Weather Forecast Hays, Kansas Thu, Windy. Snow likely. Areas of blowing snow. Light snow accumulations. Near steady temperature around 19. North winds 30 to 35 mph with gusts to around 45 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Thursday...Windy. Snow likely. Areas of blowing snow. Light snow accumulations. Near steady temperature around 19. North winds 30 to 35 mph with gusts to around 45 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 am

SciFi wrote:
publisher wrote:
Country Girl,
Patrick Lowry
Editor & Publisher
The Hays Daily News

lilchefed wrote:

What he wrote was both the legal way, and reasonable. How much extra effort does it take to just do it the right way? No flame intended, lilchefed. To a few of us old fogies who have been with the forum for a long time, this has not, thankfully, come up in a long time, so some newer users may not have been familiar with it.

they wouldn't even have a story were it not for our tax dollars paying these people. its whiny and pricklike to come here crying about that. how bout you reimburse the taxpayers everytime you use what should be public information to garner a profit? newspaper of record my ass...
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:41 am

Former South Dakota lawmaker Ted Klaudt does not like all of the stories being written about him. Most politicians are delighted with coverage but Klaudt is best known for raping his foster daughters. Klaudt’s solution (after failing to prove innocence) was to copyright his name and demand that newspapers ask his permission to use his name 20 days before any article or face millions in penalties for unauthorized use.

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/12/16/former-lawmaker-convicted-of-raping-his-daughters-copyrights-his-name-to-bar-it-use-by-daughters-and-reporters/

Snow removal cost city $16,000 15507

wowzers...!!!
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:08 am

Publisher I am happy to see that you still hang around the website!
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:26 am

nobodysbusiness wrote:
Publisher I am happy to see that you still hang around the website!

not likely reading our local newspaper from salina... lol... what else is there for local news but here? heh heh

link:

https://67601.forummotion.com/post.forum?mode=quote&p=47996
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow removal cost city $16,000   Snow removal cost city $16,000 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow removal cost city $16,000
Page 1 of 1