Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"

Go down 
+4
nobodysbusiness
Ratzilla
SlumberGirl
suzyj
8 posters
AuthorMessage
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Empty
PostSubject: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 7:44 pm

There are arguments all over the place about how the big box stores are killing small businesses. I'm not starting this thread to bash any mom and pop shops. But, everybody is struggling to make ends meet.

We have a mom and pop grocery store in our small town. It's fine for an emergency gallon of milk (yes, there is such a thing) or loaf of bread. But, to buy a weeks worth of groceries, it ain't happening. Mom and pop has just about every staple needed, but at a much higher cost. A can of store brand green beans cost $1.19. A can of store brand corn is $1.23. A gallon of milk is $4.39. At the big box, name brand veggies are 50ยข each, milk $2.99/gal.
We spend $150/week on groceries, at least. When you have to buy in large quantities, it isn't finacially responsible to spend more at one store, than you would at another, for the same products.

I know, it's bad, bad, bad to support the evil empire, but the cost of living is too high to shop anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm

On that same note, I won't buy meat at the evil empire! I support the locals on that one! Maybe if mom and pop started selling meat/produce from area farmers, they could do more for specializing in their town.
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:10 pm

That's why I say the giants shouldn't be able to buy for way less than the mom and pops. It's not your fault for wanting to be able to afford things, it's the fact the big boys automatically get the winning hand dealt to them.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:46 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:
On that same note, I won't buy meat at the evil empire! I support the locals on that one! Maybe if mom and pop started selling meat/produce from area farmers, they could do more for specializing in their town.

I agree with you, there. E.E.'s meat selection and produce, are just not appealing. Luckily, there's a Dillon's (yeah, another empire) right across the street from the e.e., for those purchases.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:53 pm

My mom and dad own a convenience store in Hoxie. They get charged outrageous prices from the suppliers for things to have for those emergency runs that suzy was talking about. Mom would almost be better off to go buy the stuff at the EE and resell it.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:

WORD!!!Their meat is all water-injected anyway,,ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>their produce SUCKS too!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 pm

When I worked at the EE's sister club, many small businesses did shop there for their resale items.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:32 pm

I heard of some convenience stores that bought cigarettes from other convenience stores. Now they limit how many cartons at a time someone can buy.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

I guess it just boils down to if you care to reward Corporate America for selling out America or support the little guy who holds the same values as you.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I guess my bank account requires me to be a "sell out". Good for you, if yours doesn't. The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" 397852
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Our politicians sold us out by favoring the big corporations. Thebig names underpay the help, and then undercut the little businessmen so the underpaid help has no choice who to buy from.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:14 pm

And the circle continues for those who which to follow.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 pm

And you NEVER shop at W.M., do you?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Nope!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm

I would rather pay a higher price to shop with my neighbor.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm

suzyr wrote:
And you NEVER shop at W.M., do you?

Thrift shop and resturant dumpsters.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:27 pm

You can find all sorts of useful things in thrift stores. Restaurant dumpsters, on the other hand... The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" 733732 I'll leave that for you. Wink
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
I'm KINDA your neighbor,hows come you don't shop with me lol!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:54 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

Whatcha sellin? lol!
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
wilkykav2 wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

Whatcha sellin? lol!

https://67601.forummotion.com/classified-ads-f5/please-come-t342.htm
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:02 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
wilkykav2 wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

Whatcha sellin? lol!
Pissy couches Crying or Very sad guess thats why The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" 6729
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 pm

But for some reason, I thought Nitro was kind of fond of golden showers. affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:06 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:
But for some reason, I thought Nitro was kind of fond of golden showers. affraid lol!

Me too The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" 19082
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:10 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:

EWWW.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:13 pm

That's how rumors start people The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" 3074
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Okay, I thought I read that somewhere, thank you for clearing it up for me. lol Sorry Nitro, didn't mean to start a rumor. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Brown Bag Special

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 11:16 am

If you're truly concerned about lowering food prices, tell your legislators to eliminate the sales tax on groceries.

Only a handful of states still levy taxes on unprepared food items. Several states have eliminated or sharply reduced this tax in recent years. Kansas is one of few which still applies a combined state, county, and local sales tax to groceries. This tax is currently 7.05% in Hays and as high as 8.40% in some locales.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mnmaniac
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"   The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The cost of living and the "EVIL EMPIRE"
Page 1 of 1