Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Chillin' at school

Go down 
+8
Degeneration X
slickjay12
plowboy
Ratzilla
nitromaxx98
suzyj
Blackie Kuhn
LukeTHr
12 posters
AuthorMessage
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 am

I heard the boiler system at Kennedy Middle school is not working. Was told some of the rooms today never got warmer than 50 degrees.... that would suck!!!
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:10 am

Ain't that just too bad Chillin' at school 838973
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:

well aren't you a compassionate bastard....... Chillin' at school 58289
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:02 pm

They'd have shut down, over here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:17 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
Blackie Kuhn wrote:

You telling us you never sat in a classroom that was either hotter than Hades with no fan or a classroom with a single radiator barely putting out heat...Most of us here have probably done both. My point was that kids today are spoiled as can be and don't k now how good they have it .
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Good Stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:
Blackie Kuhn wrote:

You telling us you never sat in a classroom that was either hotter than Hades with no fan or a classroom with a single radiator barely putting out heat...Most of us here have probably done both. My point was that kids today are spoiled as can be and don't k now how good they have it .

Ain't no shit. The 6th grade rooms at Lincoln were a bitch in the warm months. They were on the west side with lots of windows to act like a greenhouse after noon and at that time it was the old part of school with no air conditioners.

50 degrees doesn't sound like much of a hardship when I see kids running around town in shorts, t-shirts, and flipflops in the snow.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Heck, we didn't even notice the heat or cold, when we were kids. Most of us didn't have the luxury of an AC in the summer or anything more than a floor or wall heater during the winter. I agree, kids are wusses, today.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:06 am

I still have nothing but a wall heater.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 am

I did not have A/C in a school until I transferred to Wilson High for my Senior year
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 1:03 am

A/C, what is ac???? Where I came from ac didn't exists.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 am

The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love to chatter in place of exercise. Children are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs and tyrannize over their teachers
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 am

Bighead wrote:
tyrannize over their teachers

Not if I can help it Chillin' at school Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 2:20 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:

Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 2:48 am

suzyr wrote:
Heck, we didn't even notice the heat or cold, when we were kids.

We did in Knoll's room when I was at Lincoln. For some reason there were some very hot days the year I was in 6th grade. The lower grades had AC, but we didn't and I remember Knoll and Kolb bringing in fans and letting us have water and such. Some kids had trouble it was so stifling in those rooms. I remember the look of misery on Knoll's face trying to teach while soaked in sweat too.

I also remember wading through knee deep snow across Chetolah Creek to go to Roosevelt and sitting in class with wet cold shoes and pants and nobody seemed worried about it.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 am

50 degrees don't sound so bad now....haha!
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 5:19 pm

from my understanding the heat was not functioning for about 3 or 4 days.. now ya gotta admit it, it is hard to concentrate when you are cold. and in this day and age of modern life, it can be very hard to adjust when you have become accustomed to a certain level of "luxury" as it seems heat in the wintertime is referred to. I grew up with no A/C in grade school so I know what the heat was like but they did always keep us warm in the winter.

blackie is probably one of the folks like my dad that had to walk 3 miles uphill both ways in a snowstorm just to get to school, oh , and with cardboard in the bottoms of the shoes to cover up the holes.......
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Not quite...I walked 2 miles and had the luxury of wearing my cousins hand me down boots.No cardboard required.And If it was snowing we went anyway,We didn't have folks like Kauffman to call off school because the roads MIGHT be muddy.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 6:52 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
from my understanding the heat was not functioning for about 3 or 4 days.. now ya gotta admit it, it is hard to concentrate when you are cold. and in this day and age of modern life, it can be very hard to adjust when you have become accustomed to a certain level of "luxury" as it seems heat in the wintertime is referred to. I grew up with no A/C in grade school so I know what the heat was like but they did always keep us warm in the winter.

blackie is probably one of the folks like my dad that had to walk 3 miles uphill both ways in a snowstorm just to get to school, oh , and with cardboard in the bottoms of the shoes to cover up the holes.......
Maybe you should listen too your dad..you may learn something.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:08 pm

can't listen to him, he's dead.... been that way for 22 years now.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Sorry to hear that!
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
suzyr wrote:
Heck, we didn't even notice the heat or cold, when we were kids.

We did in Knoll's room when I was at Lincoln. For some reason there were some very hot days the year I was in 6th grade. The lower grades had AC, but we didn't and I remember Knoll and Kolb bringing in fans and letting us have water and such. Some kids had trouble it was so stifling in those rooms. I remember the look of misery on Knoll's face trying to teach while soaked in sweat too.
Third floor of the old Hays High was no picnic, either.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, I went to St. Joe's. Not only did we have the heat to contend with in the hotter months, we also had bats flying in the classrooms on the 4th floor. Fun times, watching St. Mathilda swing at them with her broom (I'm sure the broom was her ride to the building, btw).

Last edited by suzyr on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 6:16 am

I've heard the bat stories before. It'd be a funny diversion of the day. My sisters went there because we lived close by and mom thought it'd be cheaper. One of them that NB knows well got sent home for doing things normal kids do on the playground that allowed her panties to be seen. The animal swinging the broom may have had a lower IQ than the bat.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:45 pm

It was hilarious. A great memory.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 6:53 pm

I remember when I was at Roosevelt a kid brought a bat in a shoe box that his dad caught in their attic. It seemed pretty sick and never tried to fly but the teacher still let him open the box so everyone could look at it. Little sucker could have been rabid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chillin' at school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chillin' at school   Chillin' at school Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chillin' at school
Page 1 of 1