Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

School Supplies

Go down 
+8
The Other One
Roadstar
SlumberGirl
jessks75
nobodysbusiness
suzyj
luv2cook
nitromaxx98
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Bought everything my seventh grader needs for school except a bookbag, without having to step foot in the Evil Empire! cheers

And all at 1 store to boot!
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:13 pm

I hate school supply shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! School Supplies 929670 School Supplies 929670 School Supplies 929670
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Yay you?

I really dont get this obsession you have against boycotting Wal-Mart, but hey more power to ya.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:28 pm

luv2cook wrote:
Yay you?

I really dont get this obsession you have against boycotting Wal-Mart, but hey more power to ya.

I'm not against boycotting Hell-Mart, I'm for it... School Supplies 645905
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Wal-Mart is my friend.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:42 pm

i dont get why we have to buy the teachers so much crap!!! I mean I do it, but why? In California they dont even buy school supplies!!! Why in KS do we have to spend so much for our kids to go to school. I thought EDUCATION was free?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:43 pm

nobodysbusiness wrote:
Wal-Mart is my friend.
hell ya I got 5 kids, I love WALMART and garage sales!!!
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Jess its because the schools don't get enough money to be able to purchase these items out of their budgets. At the last home/school meeting I went to for my kids - they said after they pay for all the things they have to have - each teacher gets approximately $20 each to spend on supplies for their classrooms. This includes all bulletin boards etc. Unfortunately the schools just don't have the money for it all. That is why each child is to bring paper and kleenex's. The budgets just don't allow for it. It's quite sad.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 pm

ya I think Kleenex is good, and Im more than happy to supply that. But you cant tell me that my child brings home 2 reams of paper a year!!! and you cant tell me that my child uses a thing of sticky notes, while these are nice to have do they REALLY need them? I think the teachers need to get back to basics. We wonder why our kids cant sit still in the classroom, have you seen the LARGE amount of CRAP some of these teachers have in their classrooms? i wouldnt be able to sit still either!!!! I work for the district so I dont want to BASH them. I am just a parent bitching about the things we have to buy for them to go to school.......like I said it is supposed to be a FREE education, what happened to that? My friend paid over 100$ to send her son to high school.......If i have to pay for electives in HS for my children why cant my children just go to school to get their main classes, like math science and then be allowed to leave. anyway Im just ranting now School Supplies 58289 School Supplies 838973
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 pm

The year my son took driver's ed, it was outrageous! The thing that bothers me about school is the freaking amount of homework they always brought home! It's like why can't they get it done while they are at school?
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Well this will probably piss alot of folks off BUT....Ive worked in several school districts. A shit-ton of money goes into the special education budget. And I do mean a hell of alot. Dont get me wrong, Ive no qualms about special needs kids going to school. I DO however take issue with kids that are SO severly disabled that they have to have constant care being sent to school where it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$ to have them in a classroom daily. Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:26 pm

The Education system is broken. Especially in Kansas. Between Queen Katie using funds to build underground walkways, our local politicians bringing us poly carts and am EMPTY HCVB, and GeeDub with the no child left behind..The next generation is fucked...
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:41 pm

why do you keep saying the hcvb is empty? Do you not realize the Chamber of Commerce offices are up there? Its not like the building sits empty.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:53 pm

empty as in no one is ever there, except the ones that work there. I did notice a sign out the other day saying they were open tho!!!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:54 pm

I drive through there every time I'm up north. Only Ellis County tags are in the parking lot. And what was the last convention held in Hays because of this waste of your money?

I await your response.
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-31

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
I drive through there every time I'm up north. Only Ellis County tags are in the parking lot. And what was the last convention held in Hays because of this waste of your money?

I await your response.

just who do you think paid for this ?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 pm

jessks75 wrote:
empty as in no one is ever there, except the ones that work there. I did notice a sign out the other day saying they were open tho!!!

Their sign, which was not purchased localy, does have info regarding upcoming events, other than that it's a useless building on a lot that every business yhat has occupied it has failed at.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:58 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Queen Katie using funds to build underground walkways...

The tunnel walkways needed to be reinforced because of all the foundation work and other construction that was (still is being) done around the capitol building. Granted, that's gone WA-A-A-A-A-Y over budget...

Last edited by suzyr on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:58 pm

Roadstar wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

I await your response.

Ellis County Tax Payers!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Meanwhile streets need repair, and children need education.
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:01 am

maybe you should check your facts, once you sober up.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:20 am

Roadstar wrote:

Wasn't it paid for with the hotel/motel bed tax?
Back to top Go down
Roadstar
Rookie
Rookie
Roadstar

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:22 am

The Other One wrote:
Roadstar wrote:

We have a winner , it was funded by a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation and the local hotel/motel “bed” tax.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:25 am

Oh "the other one" you are so smart!!!
Maybe we can get the hotel/motel "bed" tax pay for some of the teachers supplies then?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 am

Roadstar wrote:
maybe you should check your facts, once you sober up.

Meanwhile it sits empty. no conventions, no visitors, and the Education System suffers. I say you sober up..
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:31 am

jessks75 wrote:
Maybe we can get the hotel/motel "bed" tax pay for some of the teachers supplies then?

Between Office Depot, Kohl's, Gordman's and Westridge Mall, I'm pretty sure I spent a couple of paychecks on back-to-school this year.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:33 am

The Other One wrote:
jessks75 wrote:

Between Office Depot, Kohl's, Gordman's and Westridge Mall, I'm pretty sure I spent a couple of paychecks on back-to-school this year.

The point is you should not have too.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 am

jessks75 wrote:

Or pay teachers more....
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 am

Bet the cost of the HCVB woulda been a nice raise...
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:38 am

What happenened to the trees under I-70?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:38 am

Where are my savings on the poly carts?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 am

Why do I pay to send firetrucks to the airport whenever a plane lands?
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:43 am

The Other One wrote:
jessks75 wrote:

Well thats outta controll!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:51 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
jessks75 wrote:

The point is you should not have too.

Exactly. We also pay 7%+ every time we buy groceries, another week's paycheck to register a car, outrageously high property taxes and a ridiculously high state income tax. Then you go to enroll your kid in school and they want a couple hundred bucks plus extra fees if they take certain classes. Meanwhile, the capitol renovations are two hundred million dollars over budget (and counting) and schools are falling apart. Too bad Sebelius is more interested in kissing Obama's ass in her attempt to be the VP nominee.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:54 am

I love it
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 am

I thought Kate would be different. She spoke at my friend's funeral. In my grief, I voted for her. Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice......
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 8:36 am

Roadstar wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Roadstar wrote:

We have a winner , it was funded by a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation and the local hotel/motel “bed” tax.
KDOT got the money from you, me, and Nitro.

Kathleen She'llBillUs will not get my vote. Fiscally irresponsible.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 9:10 am

yeah not really a fan of our esteemed gov myself.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:08 am

luv2cook wrote:
Well this will probably piss alot of folks off BUT....Ive worked in several school districts. A shit-ton of money goes into the special education budget. And I do mean a hell of alot. Dont get me wrong, Ive no qualms about special needs kids going to school. I DO however take issue with kids that are SO severly disabled that they have to have constant care being sent to school where it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$ to have them in a classroom daily. Just my 2 cents.

that's just shitty.kids that are severely disabled have home health nurses go to school with them alot of the times if necessary.they have every right to go to school as your kid does.very sad $$$$$$ takes reign over kids who have problems to you.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:30 am

Actually, in the last 2 schools that I am speaking of there was no home health nurse. The kids were brought to school daily and in one instance they were in a classroom all together with about 8 district employees and one teacher. Basically what went down was physical therapy for the day. Like I said I know my opinion isnt a popular one, but I dont think this should happen at schools. Maybe daily therapy in a rehab center or something like that, but these particular kids were so severely physically and mentally disabled that they didnt know where they were or what they were doing so it was not like they were gaining the "school" experience.

Last edited by luv2cook on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:59 am

He-he, On I could say so MUCH.But Im leaving this one alone, I deleted a early post on this topic. Being a mom of a child with disabilities, IM thankful she gets to go to school and I dont have to put her in a REHAB place!!!!
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:10 pm

I dont mean it like that..........its hard to put into words what Im trying to say. I think I'll just shut up now. LOL
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:22 pm

I understand how frustrating it is to have to purchase all these things for the school - remember I have 2 kids in school also. All I am saying is we shouldn't be upset at the teachers or the schools itself for this. They do it because they are forced to ask for the help. We need to get rid of the problem at the roots. The school district is only allowed a certain amount of money, and they seperate it equally. Teachers are grossly underpaid, which is very sad.

Let's list the chain of command, from the teachers on up.

Also - it seems as though everyone has their bitches and complaints, why don't we/you/us do something about it rather than sitting around complaining about how bad it is? It's not going to get any better if action isn't taken.

/rant off - just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Not sure if its still this way.......but it used to be that small school districts got a whole lot more money per child from the state. I never could figure out why that was, but if you'll notice alot of small towns have brand new schools or gyms and somehow thats just not kosher.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm not upset at the teachers AT ALL. I dont blame them., hell if we paid them more we wouldn't have to buy things.I'm just venting that I have to buy this crap. I work for a program that makes sure that the parents dont ever buy anything!!!! I think thats the way it should be, But then all the tax payers will bitch and moan, so I guess we all have a argument!!!
just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 1:01 pm

luv2cook wrote:
Not sure if its still this way.......but it used to be that small school districts got a whole lot more money per child from the state. I never could figure out why that was, but if you'll notice alot of small towns have brand new schools or gyms and somehow thats just not kosher.
I may be wrong but... I think that is because the smaller towns have a much smaller tax base with which to work, so require more state money. The higher the population, the more tax money goes into the coffers to pay for schools, through the mill levys.

We live in one such small town. We pay for it, believe me. Our property taxes are fricken' ridiculous! If we lived out of "city limits" our property taxes would be half what they are in town.

Back on topic... my main gripe about school supplies is that we buy what is on the list for our kids, mark their names on their things, then on the first day of school, it gets dumped into boxes to be used by all the kids. If I supply stuff for my kids' use, I expect these things to be used by my kids!
There are many organizations that help needy families with getting the supplies together. Use those resources if you qualify.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:36 pm

kids with disabilities rock-that's all i'll say School Supplies 952780 School Supplies 555861
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2008-03-27

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:47 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:
kids with disabilities rock-that's all i'll say School Supplies 952780 School Supplies 555861
I'll agree with that! I've worked with some of the coolest kids ever, and they've all had disabilities. All I can say is that some of those kids could teach the rest of the world something about perserverance!
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 2:51 pm

dz724 wrote:
wilkykav2 wrote:
I'll agree with that! I've worked with some of the coolest kids ever, and they've all had disabilities. All I can say is that some of those kids could teach the rest of the world something about perserverance!

Im with both of you here!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 pm

suzyr wrote:
If I supply stuff for my kids' use, I expect these things to be used by my kids

That would go against the socialist values taught in our schools.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

School Supplies Empty
PostSubject: Re: School Supplies   School Supplies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School Supplies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next