Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Basketball Season has arrived

Go down 
+6
slickjay12
nitromaxx98
Degeneration X
Oz
dz724
The Other One
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh come on. I've watched those guys get by with several steps, and the guys I discussed this with at work today said the same thing. Now high school ball, I'd say they watch fairly close. But I've seen the pros travel from the free throw line for a shot without the ball touching ground once and not get called.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Oz wrote:
Taking more than 'a step and a half' without dribbling the ball is traveling. Moving your pivot foot once you've stopped dribbling is traveling. A layup is not traveling.

You can take 1.5-2 steps when doing a layup and it's not traveling.

This is just one example on YouTube.

Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Oz wrote:
Taking more than 'a step and a half' without dribbling the ball is traveling. Moving your pivot foot once you've stopped dribbling is traveling. A layup is not traveling.

You can take 1.5-2 steps when doing a layup and it's not traveling.

This is just one example on YouTube.

It's the NBA! It's already common knowledge that traveling is rarely called in "The League."

The Other One wrote:
It's the NBA where it's really bad. Kobe Bryant could take a stroll to South Central, pick up a pizza and get in a gun fight with Gilbert Arenas, come back and dunk the ball and still not be called for anything as long as the dunk was SportsCenter material.

On a positive note, Fort Hays State won again tonight. They are now 14-1, 8-0 in the MIAA, with the only loss being the previously discussed game at Kansas State. In the past eight days, they have beaten the #1 team in the country, the #11 team in the country and a very good team that won at Washburn on Saturday.

Any of you naysayers in Hays convinced enough to start going to the games yet?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 4:47 am

Congrats to Fort Hays. Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 397852

As far as the NBA goes, it's still basketball and the players should be setting an example how to play the game correctly with skill, not how to be the center attraction. Or in a few cases, the head clown.

Maybe you know the answer to something EP, since you are way more up on the football players. One of my co-workers told me his coach in high school held a certain football player in high esteem, because he didn't do the touchdown dance BS or even spike the ball. He said he'd calmly walk over to an official and hand him the ball after scoring and that that's how this high school coach wanted his players to act. What pro player would that be?
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:36 am

My dad and I have discussed this traveling thing several times and I tend to agree with his theory. He thinks if we are going to cut anyone slack and allow extra steps that we should allow the middle school kids who are just learning to dribble (etc.) the extra steps. By the professional and really even the college level they should know how to count and dribble.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 am

Ratzilla wrote:
What pro player would that be?

Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys. His advice to young players is always the same: "Act like you've been there before."

He also won "Dancing With The Stars" a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 pm

dz724 wrote:
My dad and I have discussed this traveling thing several times and I tend to agree with his theory. He thinks if we are going to cut anyone slack and allow extra steps that we should allow the middle school kids who are just learning to dribble (etc.) the extra steps. By the professional and really even the college level they should know how to count and dribble.

The kids are the main point here. If we allow the pros or college players to bend or break rules it gives the impression to kids that putting on a show is more important than playing the game right. It also says if you're important enough, rules don't apply.

Last edited by Ratzilla on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 3:45 pm

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Emmitt Smith of the Dallas Cowboys. His advice to young players is always the same: "Act like you've been there before."

Thanks EP. I was thinking he said another name, but it's good to hear there's others setting a good example.
Back to top Go down
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:55 am

Ratzilla wrote:

The kids are the main point here. If we allow the pros or college players to bend or break rules it gives the impression to kids that putting on a show is more important than playing the game right. It also says if you're important enough, rules don't apply.

No, what it says is that the referees don't know the rules or aren't paying close enough attention. EVERYONE knows that referees don't know jack.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 am

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

could be Barry Sanders also. He never danced or celebrated either
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 am

slickjay12 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Also might have been Walter Payton. Emmitt Smith was the first name that came to my mind because of the quote.

Contrast that with this behavior:

Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 am

Oz wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

No, what it says is that the referees don't know the rules or aren't paying close enough attention. EVERYONE knows that referees don't know jack.

Pro level refs don't know the rules? If so, why not? And who could miss a guy running 20-30 feet with only one bounce? Naw girl, taint buying that mule. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 am

slickjay12 wrote:

Yep, that's who he said it was, Barry Sanders. Thanks slick.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 am

Ratzilla wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:

Guess that makes sense. Sanders is from Kansas. He played at Sedgwick High. There's a park named after him in Wichita.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 am

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:

Guess that makes sense. Sanders is from Kansas. He played at Sedgwick High. There's a park named after him in Wichita.
You sure it wasn't Wichita North?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 4:16 pm

I dunno. I was just going by what had been on the Wichita sports radio station while I was temporarily staying there a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am

So the 'Hawks took care of the Tiggers quite handily. Now it's time to kick some Mildcat ass.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 am

Kentucky was beaten by South Carolina tonight, so a KU win on Saturday most likely means a return to the #1 ranking.
Back to top Go down
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 am

This is why I'm not fond of most K-State fans. They always go for personal attacks.

Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 24-013010gameday_jt9.standalone.prod_affiliate.81

Somebody's gonna get it tonight:
Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 KSUvsKU_SP_013010_rs_0273f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basketball Season has arrived   Basketball Season has arrived - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basketball Season has arrived
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2