Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Empty
PostSubject: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Click here for article It's #10, but still pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 pm

With all the recent aircraft layoffs in town, Wichita's unemployment rate was around 9.3% last I heard- almost exactly that national average, and significantly higher than most cities in Kansas. So I'm not sure why we made the list. For what it's worth, though, there's still a pretty good job market out there for us diesel mechanics (if you can't afford a new truck, you pretty much HAVE to keep fixing your old one). Shrinks are doing well, too. But LOTS of the engineering students at WSU have been laid off from their paid internships.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Bighead wrote:
there's still a pretty good job market out there for us diesel mechanics
Been curious, Bighead, how many diesel pickups do you work on versus trucking tractors?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Not many these days. Though I did work at a Cummins dealership in the mid-late 90's, and have worked on plenty of the Cummins engines in Dodge pickups up through The Year 2000.

The place I work for now doesn't work on many pickups- mostly heavy trucks, busses, oilfield equipment, cranes, and assorted random industrial thingies. I do work on the occasional oddball pickup that some customer with an account brings in, but I don't claim any real expertise on any diesel pickups other than Dodges up through 1998 1/2. And I do ok with the 1998 1/2 through 2000 engines... though there's only so much you can do with an electronic engine if you don't have the proper software and wiring diagrams handy.

I seem to recall that sometime back, you mentioned having a Ford with a Powerstroke engine. I've done very little to those engines, but I have dealt with quite a few International DT466 engines with similar electronics and pretty much the same Huey injection system. So if you're having issues with that engine, feel free to run it by me- but I'll make no guarantees. You get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Lots of work in Wichita if you want to deliver pizza or wash dishes. Damn bleak if you want to make a liveable wage
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 am

Maybe it depends on what line of work you're in- 'cause that hasn't been my experience. I got a BIG pay raise when I moved from Hays to Wichita, and living expenses aren't that much higher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?   Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best cities to find a job...Wichita, KS?
Page 1 of 1