Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Empty
PostSubject: Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line   Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:45 am

Hey, I'll own it. But for you fellow computer geeks, check out this link. I've always wondered how thin copper traces can go, and this looks to me like the next step. The atomic level for 1's and 0's. It just makes sense. Still in it's seminal stage, I think this is the next leap in technology, a huge leap, actually. If they can make it work. Still a bit disturbed about its susceptibility to magnetic interference. Anyway, for what it's worth . . .
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/ion_trap_computers080609.html
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line   Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Sometimes I wonder just how we advanced so far so fast, and if we'll one day go further and faster than we are ready for.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line   Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Sometimes I wonder just how we advanced so far so fast, and if we'll one day go further and faster than we are ready for.
I'm not so sure it's that fast, old boy. Computers, I've had one since the mid-80's, have used basically the same technology since then. And it makes sense to me that they move from several decades of engineering enhancements to a change in physics. It's the only way progress is going to happen. I have great respect for engineering, but it's a development in physics that's going to change the technological landscape. That's what's the Space Program did. I respectfully disagree with you. I think that technology pulls society in it's coat tails. Pulling back isn't the answer.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line   Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 pm

My point is that if you look at the advances of the last century it's as if stone age man suddenly went to driving cars. Look at computers from the 1950's compared to now, or even Win 95 to Vista and then factor in that much of the world still has difficulty understanding what's in front of them before it changes again.

Look at it another way. For decades most men worked on their own cars with few major changes. Now alot of guys who used to do all their own mechanic work just look at all the crap under the hood and shake their head. I really don't think society in general is keeping up with tech as fast as it's changing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line   Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Geek, but this has to be one-million characters long for the Godamn subject line
Page 1 of 1