Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Questions for tonight debate

Go down 
+3
Bighead
Ratzilla
slickjay12
7 posters
AuthorMessage
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Questions for tonight debate Empty
PostSubject: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 pm

LINK

A Few Debate Questions
By Richard Cohen

With the final presidential debate scheduled for Wednesday and the previous two having revealed absolutely nothing about the candidates, I have taken it upon myself to suggest some questions for CBS' Bob Schieffer, who will do the moderating chores. I assure you that the candidates have not seen the questions in advance nor, when the time comes, will they want to answer them. I flipped a coin and Senator Obama goes first.

Senator Obama, you are sooooooooo cool. Can you tell us, please, the last time you lost your temper and what about? You have two minutes.

Senator McCain, I'd like to ask you why you've attacked Senator Obama for associating with the former domestic terrorist, Bill Ayers, even though you have befriended G. Gordon Liddy, who was jailed for what amounts to subversion of the Constitution. Liddy also once told his radio listeners to deal with ATF agents by shooting them -- "a head shot," he recommended. What's the difference between Liddy and Ayers? Take as much time as you want.

Senator Obama, did you ever tell Bill Ayers to his face that what he did was wrong?

Senator McCain, I have a question regarding Sarah Palin: How could you?

Senator Obama, in 2007, your former church and its then-minister honored the Reverend Louis Farrakhan, an anti-Semite. Why didn't you say something in protest? Have you ever heard the Latin dictum "Qui tacet consentire videtur," silence is consent?

Senator McCain, what lessons should we have learned from the Iraq War? Should it have been fought? Should we have stuck to Afghanistan? What are our limits as a great power?

Senator Obama. Sir, if your plan for troop withdrawal in Iraq had been adopted, the U.S. troops would now be almost out of the country. That being the case, what do you think we'd have there now? Civil war? A peaceful country? An Islamic republic next door in Jordan?

Senator McCain, do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and wonder if history will forgive you for Sarah Palin?

Senator Obama, do you ever wake up in the middle of night for anything?

Senator McCain, with the situation in Afghanistan worsening, why don't we switch our troops right away from Iraq, which didn't attack us, to the country from where Osama bin Laden and his Taliban supporters did?

Senator Obama, given the problems facing our country -- a worldwide financial crisis, a looming recession, the prospect of nukes in Iran and North Korea, and Pakistan, which already has nukes, coming apart -- isn't it reckless of you to think that, at your young age with your limited experience, you can manage it all?

Senator McCain, virtually the same question to you. But in your case, given your age, isn't this all too much for you?

Senator Obama, have you ever been in therapy? If so, how did it make you feel?

Senator McCain, in May, you allowed a restricted number of reporters to review your medical records for a limited amount of time. Some people think you're hiding something. Are you? If not, why not make all the records public?

Senator Obama, we all know that lobbyists are not the problem in Washington; it's the incessant need of politicians to raise campaign funds. Yet you broke your pledge to accept public financing for your campaign. By doing that, didn't you contribute to this problem? And a follow-up, if I might: If you broke your word on this, how can we be sure you won't break your word again?

Senator McCain, reportedly, you have been told to avoid looking at Senator Obama during debates because he infuriates you and you could lose your temper. Is this because of Obama's age or his manner or something else entirely?

Senator Obama, what's a credit-default swap?

Senator McCain, can you explain short-selling?

Senator Obama, is Senator McCain right?

Senator McCain, you are 72 and have had skin cancer several times. Given that -- not to mention the usual exigencies of life -- how could you pick a running mate who is so dismally qualified for the presidency? And please, for the sake of your own reputation, not to mention your mortal soul, don't say anything about the Alaska National Guard.

Senator Obama and Senator McCain, you both favor NATO membership for Ukraine and Georgia. Please tell us how you would explain to an American soldier why he or she would have to fight for either country. Please explain why defending Georgia is in our national interest.

Gentlemen, that's it for now. Over to you, Bob.

cohenr@washpost.com
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 pm

My question to both would be "Why are both the dems and republicans terrified of allowing a libertarian in the debates?"
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:52 pm

I don't think they're exactly "terrified". It'd be more accurate to say that they don't HAVE to let the Libertarians into the debates... so they don't. What incentive do they have to screw up their own single-party system?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Johnnie McInsane must have taken a long nap he is actually answering the questions
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 pm

Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Both were all still about talking points.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

IMO, this was by far the most interesting of the presidential debates... and they finally got a decent moderator.

I thought that McCain held is own for the first couple of questions... after which he began to look like a blustering, angry old man. Lots of material there for SNL. I didn't see anything on the scale of "that one"... but I saw a couple of distinct eye-rolls, a couple dozen interruptions by McCain, and a few more attempted jokes where he didn't come across as even remotely funny- just pissed off. Big loss by McCain on both style and content- though I'm obviously biased on the latter.

Funny that Ayers was brought up by Obama. Didn't expect that... but I think he made McCain look petty on the issue.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Bob made the debate. Most questions got the run around, but Bob went after them. Best moderator yet!

Last edited by nitromaxx98 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 pm

And OMFG... they both wanted to have Joe The Plumber's baby.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Bighead wrote:
And OMFG... they both wanted to have Joe The Plumber's baby.

Joe, you just became more popular than Paris Hilton..
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Yeah, that Joe the plumber act got pretty stupid. My dad was (is-retired) a plumber and I can pretty much say that he never made a quarter of a million dollars, but ran his own business. That's *old* business but still...
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm

Joe the plumber will get the white house contract who evers wins this election!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:56 pm

But yeah, Bob kicked ass. I wanna have Bob's baby.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
Joe the plumber will get the white house contract who evers wins this election!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I should have kept count to how many times they mentioned him!!!! bounce
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:

Yeah, I should have kept count to how many times they mentioned him!!!! bounce

5=Obama

15=McCain
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Now I have two reasons to vore for Obama.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:27 pm

He will pay for my healthcare, and my son's education!!!
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 pm

EVEN FIXED NEWS SAYS OBAMA WON

Meanwhile, virtually the entire Frank Luntz focus group on Fox News, which was staged tonight in Miami, said that Barack Obama won the debate. Luntz termed it a "clear majority," but not one person raised their hand when asked if they thought McCain won.

Said Luntz: "None had made a decision to support Sen. Obama before the debate, but more than half supported him after the debate. It was a good night for Barack Obama."

with video inbedded
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Bighead wrote:
I don't think they're exactly "terrified". It'd be more accurate to say that they don't HAVE to let the Libertarians into the debates... so they don't. What incentive do they have to screw up their own single-party system?

Yeah, agreed. Just a little sarcasm on my part. But complete Constitutional freedoms might scare the hell out of some of their voters.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:06 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27207215/?GT1=43001

Joe the plumber doesn't have a plumbing license. bounce
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Suspect
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:23 pm

SlumberGirl wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27207215/?GT1=43001

Joe the plumber doesn't have a plumbing license. bounce

Don't need one if you are a apprentice
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 pm

I don't have a mechanic's license.

But I do have a commercial driver's license. And a huntin' license. And a forklift operator's license. And a mobile refrigeration license. And a dog license.

But unlike Joe The Plumber, I don't have any tax liens.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 am

slickjay12 wrote:

Actually Joe the plumber will probably end up getting audited. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 1:26 am

luv2cook wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:

Actually Joe the plumber will probably end up getting audited. Very Happy

If Obama is elected, he better start getting his records together. ACORN, on the other hand, will have nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions for tonight debate   Questions for tonight debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions for tonight debate
Page 1 of 1