Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Our tax dollars at work

Go down 
+3
LukeTHr
nitromaxx98
Blackie Kuhn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Our tax dollars at work Empty
PostSubject: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Today out by the John Deere place, the county was filling cracks in the road. I counted 7 people and 5 trucks. 2 were flagmen 3 people talking on cell phones and 2 looked actually busy.What a frackin waste of resources!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Welcome to Hays! I count all three trips a trash truck makes down my alley weekly, then replace my struts annually because they don't plow my street, but damn, that sports complex sure looks purty...
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:52 pm

I can relate...I have to drag the fracking cart to the front sidewalk yet the truck picks up in my alley to carts located on the same side as me...wtf? Mad
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 1:15 pm

I heard the new goal posts at the sports complex were cheap and flimsy and the wind has them bent up. Yeah, thats money well spent.....
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
I can relate...I have to drag the fracking cart to the front sidewalk yet the truck picks up in my alley to carts located on the same side as me...wtf? Mad

OMG your life is so hard!
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Bighead wrote:
Blackie Kuhn wrote:

I have health issues that make it difficult asshole Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 am

LukeTHr wrote:
I heard the new goal posts at the sports complex were cheap and flimsy and the wind has them bent up. Yeah, thats money well spent.....

Yeah, I noticed one looked bent as I came home yesterday. You'd think it'd take more than 60 mph winds to bend a goal post. 110 mph winds bent the flagpoles in the Catlick cemetary at Ellis, but if those goalposts can't take 60 mph then a small tornado would tie them in knots.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
Bighead wrote:
Blackie Kuhn wrote:

I have health issues that make it difficult asshole Neutral

Shit- are you really 74 years old like it says in your profile?

If so, then I apologize. I assumed you were around my age.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

LukeTHr wrote:

A football field has goal posts. A fútbol field has goal frames. Which one was it? Do you even know the difference?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 6:17 pm

The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

A football field has goal posts. A fútbol field has goal frames. Which one was it? Do you even know the difference?

It is the football field goal posts. Might I suggest not doubting others unless you have a means to verify.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 7:40 pm

The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

Who gives a rat's ass?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

It is the football field goal posts. Might I suggest not doubting others unless you have a means to verify.

I wasn't doubting that it happened. I was just wondering if it was football goal posts, which are planted in the ground and subject to wind damage, or soccer goal frames, which are mobile and don't usually sustain that kind of damage.

I would alss guess that insurance will cover the majority of the cost for the damage, thereby insuring that there will replacement goal posts installed before the field is schedules for use and giving Luke the opportunity to bitch and moan some more.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Bighead wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

Who gives a rat's ass?

Nobody asked you. So piss off, bignose.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:27 pm

The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

I wasn't doubting that it happened. I was just wondering if it was football goal posts, which are planted in the ground and subject to wind damage, or soccer goal frames, which are mobile and don't usually sustain that kind of damage.

I would alss guess that insurance will cover the majority of the cost for the damage, thereby insuring that there will replacement goal posts installed before the field is schedules for use and giving Luke the opportunity to bitch and moan some more.

I call bullshit! It was a direct insult and you know it. I have no problem with you bowing at the alter of your all knowing sports gawd, but unless you are a taxpaying resident of this county, you have no input in the frustrations of those who are. None of the other goal posts, HHS, FHSU are bent like that. Sub-par building in a high wind zone is a waste of taxpayer money.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 pm

The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

A non-asshole would have approached this differently. Something like:

Quote :
Are we talking football goal-posts or a fútbol goal?

But that wouldn't provide an opportunity for chest-beating.

Not that I give a rat's ass about football. Or fútbol.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Bighead wrote:
The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

A non-asshole would have approached this differently. Something like:

Quote :
Are we talking football goal-posts or a fútbol goal?

But that wouldn't provide an opportunity for chest-beating.

Not that I give a rat's ass about football. Or fútbol.

I'm pretty sure that you know absolutely nothing about being a non-asshole.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

I call bullshit! It was a direct insult and you know it. I have no problem with you bowing at the alter of your all knowing sports gawd, but unless you are a taxpaying resident of this county, you have no input in the frustrations of those who are. None of the other goal posts, HHS, FHSU are bent like that. Sub-par building in a high wind zone is a waste of taxpayer money.

Since the job isn't completed yet, shouldn't the cost be absorbed by the contractor?

And yes, it was a direct insult at someone who bitches and moans about anything that doesn't benefit him directly.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:38 pm

The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

Since the job isn't completed yet, shouldn't the cost be absorbed by the contractor?

And yes, it was a direct insult at someone who bitches and moans about anything that doesn't benefit him directly.

Have you ever dealt with a contractor on a time based project?

Nothing in this County benefits you directly.

I'm sure if one of your kids had a tourney here, you would drop a few bucks. Otherwise not. As a local, he has a right to complain. As do I, and you in your area. It all falls on deaf ears.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Nothing in this County benefits you directly.

And I wasn't the one bitching about it.

nitromaxx98 wrote:
I'm sure if one of your kids had a tourney here, you would drop a few bucks. Otherwise not. As a local, he has a right to complain. As do I, and you in your area. It all falls on deaf ears.

How much of the cost for the project is being footed by Ft. Hays State? That would be state money. I pay a lot of taxes to the state.

As I understand it, HHS and TMP won't be using the new facilities for home games. So unless the Hays Soccer Club plays tournaments there in the next couple of years, the complex will never benefit me or my kids directly. But I still support it. And I spend money in Hays on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 am

Anyone that shops in Hays is getting jammed in the ass to pay for that "wonderful" complex. However, not everyone that has to pay that tax had the ability to vote on the project. But keep this in mind, anytime I can shop and get the things I need outside Hays, I do.

Insurance might cover the goalposts, not sure if the contractor will be responsible, after all, they only installed what was agreed upon in the bid.

I do think that facilty will not live up to it's expectations in what folks expect it to attract in regards to high numbers of people coming to bring their kids for tourneys. Skyrocketing fuel prices and associated travel expenses (food, lodging, etc...) will kill that. Too bad the fools that voted for it didn't have the foresight to see that, but then many folks nowdays buy into all this BS and aren't smart enough to face reality and always want to believe in fairy tales because it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.

Here are some facts. The Saudis are cutting their oil production by 1 million barrels. Fuel costs are going up dramatically. Silver and gold are increasing in price, silver has doubled in value in one years time. The stock market is tumbling. The governemt is printing money as fast as they can which is having the effect of causing a loss of faith in the dollar. China and other countries are stocking up on silver and gold and they are getting out of the dollar as an investment currency. Interest rates are about to be raised which means that variable rate lons will take a bigger chunk of peoples paychecks. Federal, state, county, city and school budgets are under a huge strain and taxes will be going up. Food prices are rising across the board. Clothing costs ar going up. Simple fact, we are headed for an even bigger crash than before, this is going to be major.

Now, do you still think folks are going to have extra money to travel for little Johnny to participate in a tournament? If you do, I have some prime real estate in Florida you might be interested in.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 am

but if you want to believe Kevin Baco, go right ahead

Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 am

The Other One wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

Do I know the difference? Let's see, I played jr hi and high school football. I never played futball. My son, who is 19 and played federated, jr hi and high shcool football and in grade school, he played futball and saw them and told me about them. I think we might have a pretty good idea about the difference. Now unless for some reason they have changed the types of goal posts on me in the last few weeks, I do feel pretty confident in what I saw.
Did you see them personally??
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:32 am

The goal post that are being used at the sports complex are a soccer/football combo. Essentially the football goal posts attach to the top of the soccer goals. A quick call to the HRC, they confirmed that they are bent because they didn't fasten them down all the way. The contractors put them up to see what they looked like and to show HRC and the City. They should have fastened them down or taken them down. The cost to replace them will be on the contractors at no additional cost to the city or HRC.

Again, people need to get facts before spouting off about crap they don't know anything about.

If you guys really want something to bitch about, the grass looks like crap and it is highly doubtful that the soccer/football fields will be ready to be used in the fall. But that's because they had to seed them and not put sod down.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 pm

I'll spout off all I want , especially since I am taxed to pay for it, although I didn't get to vote on it. It's an overpriced joke of a project that will not reach it's projected level of use and bring in all the money it was claimed it will.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:11 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I'll spout off all I want , especially since I am taxed to pay for it, although I didn't get to vote on it. It's an overpriced joke of a project that will not reach it's projected level of use and bring in all the money it was claimed it will.

Then you are free to spend your money elsewhere. You have that right to not pay the Hays Sales tax by living and shopping somewhere else. Kind of dumb to bitch about the sales taxes I paid while driving through Texas but I paid them since I choose to drive through there. I could have avoided Texas and saved money on sales taxes.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Well don't try and tell me not to spout off. The complex has been an overbudget smoke job boondoggle from the beginning and I have every right to call it so if I choose. It's guaranteed by our countries Bill of Rights. It has exceeded original budget projections that were told to the voters when the project was being pushed and in light of that , it is unlikely it will meet the projections given about it's return in investment. When the economy was tanking and crashing was not a wise time to go forward with a project like that.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
Well don't try and tell me not to spout off. The complex has been an overbudget smoke job boondoggle from the beginning and I have every right to call it so if I choose. It's guaranteed by our countries Bill of Rights. It has exceeded original budget projections that were told to the voters when the project was being pushed and in light of that , it is unlikely it will meet the projections given about it's return in investment. When the economy was tanking and crashing was not a wise time to go forward with a project like that.

Please provide me proof that it is over budget?

Yes, they had to get additional funds to pay for special amenities (I guess you will say they weren't amenities), so does that automatically mean they are over budget?

This is exactly the right time, its better to build your own community up instead of sending it elsewhere. You can bitch that parents are cutting back on sending little Johnie to tournaments and playing sports, but the facts show differently. Sports enrollments are just as high as they were 5 years ago. I have inside knowledge on the Hays Football Association, and I can for a fact say that their numbers aren't down. Talking to HRC, their numbers aren't down.

Maybe that bubble will pop and this will be a waste, only time will tell. But I guess I'm glad that I'm not a doom and gloom guy and that likes to piss all over everyone. There is a reason that there is about 5 people that discuss on this board and that I rarely check in. Thanks for reminding me. I think we should invite Mikecc back, he fit in all too well.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm not all doom and gloom, but then I don't buy into all the warm fuzzy BS either. I do think that funding schools for education is far more important than defunding the classroom while at the same time we are blowing money into sports. Whats more important for our kids? A solid education or the ability to play ball so mommy and daddy can sit on the sidelines and cheer? And really , I have no problem with the citizens of Hays paying for their own projects, but it seesm they want all of northwest Kansas to pay for things like water parks, libraries and sports complexes. If it's so important to the citizens of Hays, then put it on the property tax bill, not the sales tax. And trust me, I buy as much as I can away from hays at every opportunity. But then, a lot of Hays residents go out of town to Wichita, Salina and KC to do their shopping because what is available locally just isn't good enough for them. They are happy to take money from the local folks but local folks aren't good enough to spend with.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 3:45 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I'm not all doom and gloom, but then I don't buy into all the warm fuzzy BS either. I do think that funding schools for education is far more important than defunding the classroom while at the same time we are blowing money into sports. Whats more important for our kids? A solid education or the ability to play ball so mommy and daddy can sit on the sidelines and cheer? And really , I have no problem with the citizens of Hays paying for their own projects, but it seesm they want all of northwest Kansas to pay for things like water parks, libraries and sports complexes. If it's so important to the citizens of Hays, then put it on the property tax bill, not the sales tax. And trust me, I buy as much as I can away from hays at every opportunity. But then, a lot of Hays residents go out of town to Wichita, Salina and KC to do their shopping because what is available locally just isn't good enough for them. They are happy to take money from the local folks but local folks aren't good enough to spend with.

And people from Wichita, Salina and KC go to Chicago to shop, and people from Chicago go to New York to shop, and people from New York go to Paris to shop, and so on and so forth. The grass is always greener on the other side. It has nothing to do with the sales tax in any location. It has more to do with people thinking that they can get better products, newer styles or whatever in another location. And every location has their own local sales tax for their local projects. It isn't just Hays. But Luke is free to spend his money and pay the local sales tax where he wants.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

My point was that the very people that want to increase the sales tax for projects they want done are then turning around and shopping elsewhere and not paying the very taxes they raised on us
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Sweet, there's our next project then. Once we are done with Sports Complex tax, we can use it to pay for the new buildings at the Middle School.

I'm also confused, are libraries used for education?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

lilchefed wrote:

Not in Victoria.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 pm

The Other One wrote:
lilchefed wrote:

Not in Victoria.

hahaha thats a good one... now don't be too hard on dem dere chermins
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 am

What's it matter if it's a goal post or a goal frame? The damn things bent in 60 mph wind. There's old chicken houses in the county that have withstood more. And what's this fútbol crap? Speak English EP or get out!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 am

Ratzilla wrote:
And what's this fútbol crap? Speak English EP or get out!! Very Happy

אני מניחה שאני שכח כי Ratzo כל יודע, כל יכול בכל מקום הוא הסמכות המובילים בעולם על הכל? אין טעם לנסות לתקן אותו. הוא אף פעם לא טועה.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:32 pm

sapiens men teneo a alio condita alio insults est ostendo terminus of suum intelligence quod quam vegrandis they vere es
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:33 pm

σοφός άντρεs γνωρίζω έναs πρόσωπο making προσωπικό insults is δείχνω the όριο του δικό τουs intelligence και πωs μικρό αυτοί πραγματικά είναι
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:36 pm

način narod znanje a oseba izdelava oseben žalitev je kazanje višek od svoj inteligenca in še kako tesen oni zdaj ste

Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:39 pm

bölcs emberek tud egy személy gyártás személyes sérteget van bemutatás a korlátoz -ból -uk intelligencia és hogyan kicsi ők valójában van

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our tax dollars at work   Our tax dollars at work Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our tax dollars at work
Page 1 of 1