Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Around the World

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:03 pm

I just saw on TV that it is closing,that's too bad-anyone know why???
I think this town is cursed and business owners here gotta be really stressed out all the time Shocked
Back to top Go down
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 pm

I only went in there once that I can remember. The moldy/mildew smell was awful and really tweaked my allergies. They didn't really have anything I was interested in, which was good, because I'm not sure I'd have wanted to buy anything as bad as it smelled.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:00 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:
I just saw on TV that it is closing,that's too bad-anyone know why???
I think this town is cursed and business owners here gotta be really stressed out all the time Shocked

Probably because the prices are pretty steep. I checked them out a couple times for Halloween stuff because they were supposed to specialize in Halloween along with their models and such. And medium sized styrofoam tombstones were priced at $20. Even if they cut the price by half for the going out of business sale they will still be as high, or higher than Walmarts is before their after holiday sale prices.

I was just telling LukeThr that if they'd had really unique quality stuff they might attract those buyers willing to spend extra. But quite honestly, the Halloween selection was very ordinary and way too pricey. Nothing really any better than Walmart or Walgreens, or even Dillons but at twice the price. Matter of fact I found cooler Halloween stuff at Walmart and Walmart isn't that great.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 pm

As someone who shopped there fairly often, I think the economic downturn is what did the place in. When the original owner and his wife had the place, it seemed to me that to them it was a love of nostalgia that kept them going which explains why thel didn't take much stock in carrying newer items. Sadly, after his wife passed, he seemed to lose his spitit.

After the new owner took over things improved greatly. He was really trying to turn the place around with new items especially in the RC department.

But with times getting tough, expensive hobbies like RC's, are on of the first things to get cut back. $25 for a gallon of nitro or food.

Food wins..
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 am

I bought from them, but not alot. Like I say, I'd be willing to pay a fair price for really unique Halloween stuff, but it wasn't there. They had good stuff for model builders, but I havn't done anything like that for 30 years. I think kids interests have changed too. If it ain't a friggin video game or other high tech they don't want to mess with it.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 am

Ratzilla wrote:
I think kids interests have changed too. If it ain't a friggin video game or other high tech they don't want to mess with it.

That is the sad truth. What video game can top driving scale speeds of 600mph. Imiganation is gone and for this reason, I will never "Grow up"!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 pm

When I was a kid there were no home video games and only 2 channels on TV at my house. We got UHF ABC out of Wichita if the weather conditions were right. Imagination was a necessity.
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm

damn hate to see them go even though i bought from them a few times a year, they are the only place in town that carried the stuff i was looking for
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Around the World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Around the World   Around the World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Around the World
Page 1 of 1