Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Sea World

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 am

SeaWorld seems like the Catholic church, they keep moving problem whales around to different cities.

Whale had killed before in British Columbia
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 am

Third kill for this whale. Some would say it's unfair because the law requires dogs who attack multiple times be put down. I say if you play with carnivores big enough to pick you up in their mouth you are a dumbass and nature is weeding out the stupid.
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Whales and dolphins are very intelligent mammels. They don't belong in a large swimming pool, preforming tricks for thousands of people and making tons of money for Sea World. Does anyone remember Keiko from "Free Willy" fame? The Oregon Coast Aquarium built a special tank for him and rescued him from a filthy dump in Mexico. They rehabilitated him and let him go in the wild near Iceland where he was captured when he was very young. I saw him in Oregon and he was magnificant. His skin conditions cleared up and he learned to hunt for live fish instead of having dead fish thrown at him. He has since died but at least he died in the ocean where he belonged. By the way, did you know that even though they are called killer whales they are really the largest member of the dolphin family?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't much care for man trying to turn whales, lions, elephants, and tigers into side shows and don't get a bit upset when one of these kings of nature kicks someone's ass.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Interesting tidbit Lyric Smile
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 pm

lyric wrote:
Does anyone remember Keiko from "Free Willy" fame? The Oregon Coast Aquarium built a special tank for him and rescued him from a filthy dump in Mexico. They rehabilitated him and let him go in the wild near Iceland where he was captured when he was very young.

I recall this story, but hadn't heard how it turned out. I heard it shortly after his rescue. Pretty disgusting that someone made big money off of him and then let him be treated like crap.
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I found my notebook with all my info on Keiko. He was born in Iceland in 1977 or 78 and caught for the aquariun industry in 1979. He was brought to Oregon in 1996 where he stayed till 1998 when after gaining back his health he was flown back to his birthplace. While in Iceland he was kept in an enclosed cove for further training and released in mid 2002. From there he swam to Norway's west coast where he still craved human interaction. It was hard for him to not be around humans after being in captivity for 25 years. He would swim up to small boats and people even swam with him riding on his back. Authorities had to ban people from approaching him. Shortly thereafter he became listless and his trainers started feeding him 175 pounds of fish a day. In December of 2002 his trainers led him to a protected cove where he stayed till he died of pneumonia in December of 2003. This was truly a special Orka who loved people. It was a shame he was treated so bad for so many years. Even after the way he was treated he still wanted to be with people. Says a lot for the animal kingdom.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 2:59 am

Pretty sad. Sea mammals are communal by nature. I may like a good steak, and I'm certainly no PETA fan. But the way man uses and then discards animals that see him as a friend can be pretty crappy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sea World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sea World   Sea World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sea World
Page 1 of 1