Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Hays Public Library Digital photo archive

Go down 
+3
suzyj
Samwitty
LukeTHr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Empty
PostSubject: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 pm

If any of you like to research the history of the area, check out this link. The Hays Public Library has their photo collection accessible thru their website now. There are some very inetresting photos to look at.

http://digitalarchive.hayspublib.org/gsdl/cgi-bin/library?e=p-01000-00---off-0kansasro--00-1--0-10-0---0---0prompt-10---4-------0-1l--11-en-50---20-about---00-3-1-00-0-0-11-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&cl=CL2
Back to top Go down
Samwitty
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Samwitty

Number of posts : 873

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:30 pm

That is soooooooo cool Thank you Hays Public Library Digital photo archive 397852
Back to top Go down
http://www.biteme.com
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 pm

That's a great link, LukeTHr! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm

I really enjoy old photos of this area, especially when you can find a bunch of them of the same area over a period of time. The things you can learn from the photos is quite surprising.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 pm

This is so cool, it's too bad that they don't have exact locations/addresses for each and every one of these places listed. It makes me want to jump in the vehicle with the laptop and compare now and then. How awesome!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 am

LukeTHr wrote:
I really enjoy old photos of this area, especially when you can find a bunch of them of the same area over a period of time. The things you can learn from the photos is quite surprising.
It was fun looking at them with my girls. They kept asking if I was alive when those building were there, or when some of the pictures were taken. lol! Of course, I had to tell them the story of the nuns swatting at bats in what was St. Joseph Elementary, when I was in 4th grade (is it still st. joe's?).

SlumberGirl wrote:
This is so cool, it's too bad that they don't have exact locations/addresses for each and every one of these places listed. It makes me want to jump in the vehicle with the laptop and compare now and then. How awesome!!

I was thinking the same thing, SG. There was one page with some of the addresses and resident's names listed, but not many.

Last edited by suzyr on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:20 pm

I also noticed the Raynesford House in Ellis being pictured a couple of times. I think I remember Ratzilla saying that it was haunted. I'm going to try and remember to show these to the hubby tonight. He will get a kick out of it!

Edited because I remembered taking my son's boy scout troop on the historic walk downtown and when we walked past the dry cleaners (catty corner from the post office)...the guy inside brought us in and told us how the place used to be the jail. It was pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm

The old Raynesford place has burned down, but there's several stories associated with it. My nephew and I were digging old bottles near the house once when my nephew said an old guy was watching us. I looked up but nobody was there, and there couldn't have been any way he could get there and leave without being detected. It was a calm dead quiet day and the entire area was covered with dry leaves and twigs that crunched as you walked. No one could have gotten within a hundred feet of us without being heard, and my nephew said the old man was only about 10 feet away on the bank above us.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 pm

I saw a pic of our house when it was brand spankin' new.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm

I looked for my old neighbor's house, before any other houses were built on his land, as base housing (?). Didn't see it. Sad
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The old Raynesford place has burned down, but there's several stories associated with it. My nephew and I were digging old bottles near the house once when my nephew said an old guy was watching us. I looked up but nobody was there, and there couldn't have been any way he could get there and leave without being detected. It was a calm dead quiet day and the entire area was covered with dry leaves and twigs that crunched as you walked. No one could have gotten within a hundred feet of us without being heard, and my nephew said the old man was only about 10 feet away on the bank above us.

The old place that Ratzilla is referring to being burned down is not the same house in the photo. The burned down home was the homestead of Cassius M Raynesford. His son , Howard Raynesford built the house you see in the photos. On a side note about the house, there is a small garage just east of the house that Howard and his wife lived in while they worked on the construction of the house.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 pm

Hadn't seen the photo yet. I assumed they meant the old Raynesford dairy farm.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 pm

No, it's a pic of the house that Bear grew up in
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Yeah, I know the place.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 pm

I wish they had one of the old place. Best I have run across so far is of the picnic grove and the old bridge out there
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Yeah, I've never seen anything from the time the place was used either.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 11:02 pm

saw a pic of our house when it was brand spankin' new.Which one is yours?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 6:05 am

Mine is the one surrounded by police cars. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Poor poor Elmer Chesshire. I could have went all day without seeing that! Hays Public Library Digital photo archive 590595
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Holy Cow! I thought it was bad having one of those shoved through my right foot... Yikes! Poor, poor man. Wonder how that happened.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 3:40 pm

At first I thought he might have fallen on a spike of some sort. My wife thought maybe Elmers wife got him with knitting needle. Some else I showed it to thought he had been shot in the head and that was placed in to track the path of the bullet.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Did they check trajectory in the 30's? That makes sense, if they did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hays Public Library Digital photo archive   Hays Public Library Digital photo archive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hays Public Library Digital photo archive
Page 1 of 1