Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

public tv

Go down 
+5
Bighead
Ratzilla
slickjay12
The Other One
immagyn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
immagyn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-16

public tv Empty
PostSubject: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:07 pm

will smoky hills public tv survive?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 am

immagyn wrote:

Are you the person who actually watches it?
Back to top Go down
immagyn

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 am

Kansas just cut funding for the Arts Commission and if they haven't already they are thinking about cutting funding for Public TV.

Smoky Hills is sensitive to Western Kansas and does provide programming you can't find anywhere else, it is all about giving a voice to the smaller communities.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:15 am

immagyn wrote:
Kansas just cut funding for the Arts Commission and if they haven't already they are thinking about cutting funding for Public TV.

Smoky Hills is sensitive to Western Kansas and does provide programming you can't find anywhere else, it is all about giving a voice to the smaller communities.

Kansas is also facing a budget deficit. There are federal mandates that have to be funded and schools that need to be funded. Public television, as well as a publicly funded arts commission, should be way down the list of priorities. We just can't afford it.
Back to top Go down
immagyn

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 am

Priorities should be based on returns. Investments which are beneficial should not be ignored or discouraged.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 12:42 pm

As a former employee of the station who lost his job because of Hitler Brownback the station may survive this fiscal year but hard telling about next year. The station lost 20% of its state money this year but Hilter promise to cut any money for public broadcasting next year. Now with the debt ceiling stuff in D.C. and there needing to be cuts to raise the ceiling I am wondering about the federal money for all public broadcasting. Allot of people don't see public broadcasting as good use of tax payer money. I aslo enjoy the comments about how the sale of Sesame Street and other shows toys and games could pay for PBS but the stations never see any of that money.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

The Other One wrote:
immagyn wrote:

You mean there were two of us? I'll admit other channels take my attention more, but there's a few shows on PBS others don't have. And I have no one but the programmers at PBS to thank for my introduction clear back in the 70's to Monty Python's Flying Circus. public tv 397852
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:
immagyn wrote:

You mean there were two of us? I'll admit other channels take my attention more, but there's a few shows on PBS others don't have. And I have no one but the programmers at PBS to thank for my introduction clear back in the 70's to Monty Python's Flying Circus. public tv 397852

That was then. This is now. Monty Python's Flying Circus is now on BBC America.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Don't matter EP. I still thank PBS for alot of laughs in those days gone by. Most of the US made TV sitcoms of the mid to late 70's were not what I call the golden age of comedy. Monty Python was one of the only things on TV for a while that was seriously politically incorrect and had nothing to do with friggin disco.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 pm

The point is that it has nothing to do with whether PBS or NPR or the KAC should continue to get taxpayer money when the country and the state are broke.

Someone at work today told me that O'Reilly was defending foreign aid last night because "it's only about 1% of the budget." So what? That makes it okay to borrow money in order to give it away to other countries? It's all the same principal. We don't have the money. Stop spending.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Quote :
It's all the same principal. We don't have the money. Stop spending.

No, that isn't the principle.

I personally don't care one way or the other what happens to PBS or NPR. But the fact is that Republicans are NOT making any serious effort to cut spending. What they're doing is TARGETING spending cuts at any and all programs that they don't like... while ignoring vastly more expensive programs that their constituents (the top 1% wealthiest Americans) are benefitting from. It's Republican social-engineering, using spending cuts as an excuse.

Just off the top of my head, here's a list of stuff the Republicans are cutting or trying to cut:

education
National Endowment for the Arts
planned parenthood
federal financial aide
public broadcasting

And and quite a few others I'm sure... I'm just too lazy to google it.

Compared with other programs in the federal budget, these are a drop in the bucket. This is nothing but political posturing and shitting on their political rivals. Notably absent from all this Republican cut-spending craze are "defense", our two or three wars, farm $ub$idies, corporate welfare (tax breaks for oil companies, among other things)... basically anything that their constituents (big industry and people with lotsa $$) benefit from.

Neither party is serious about cutting spending or balancing the budget. The Democrats aren't fooling anybody... but they're not really trying either. We all KNOW that they're a bunch of tax & spend social engineers. But my point is that the Republicans are no better. The only difference is that they have lots of ya'll fooled.

I think that we're reaching the point at which lawmakers have no choice but to address budgetary problems in SOME manner. And here's how they'll do it: They'll cut spending on poor people (billionaire & corporate welfare will be largely untouched). They'll raise taxes on the upper middle class (people who make enough money to be worth taxing, but not enough to have their own accounting department to take advantage of hundreds of built-in loopholes). And they will continue to print monopoly money.

Overall I think it's a workable strategery. The Financial Empire of America could very well remain intact for decades to come by my reckoning. The biggest danger that I see on the horizon, though- as a result of our excessive money-printing is that the Dollar could lose its status as the world's reserve currency... as happend to the British Pound quite a few decades ago as the british empire crumbled. Now that would suck for all of us- we Americans enjoy some significant monetary advantages over the rest of the world right now (since oil can essentially be purchased only in dollars). If a new reserve currency happens, we will suddenly have to start working for an honest living just like people elsewhere in the world. It'll be ugly, but we can do it. But it will be ugly.

But one factor which might keep the dollar in its current position as the world's reserve currency is this: We have the biggest and baddest military in the world and we LOVE sending our people out to kill and be killed. Some say that that's why we went after Saddam- he threatened to sell oil using currency other than dollars. Iran made much the same threat a few years later, and while we haven't invaded- we're certainly putting pressure on them. And if you'll have a look at a map- we have them surrounded on both sides (Iraq and Afghanistan).

But I digress. My point is that you're a dumbass, EP.

Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Cutting the Federal budget is much complicated than cutting your own..

Every American has become so dependent in some form that regardless, someone will be hurt.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Eliminate waste in Medicare, and EPA over-regulation, and you remove a huge chunk. I have examples.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-10-06

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 9:57 pm

No, SHPTV will not survive more than 1 year, 2 max. They will have to merge with the other PBS stations, I'd assume KPTS in Wichita. They will then just be a repeater station. SHPTV doesn't get enough non-state money to replace what they lost. People don't give them enough and their under writing just doesn't make it up. At the end of the day, the main PBS stuff will live on, but the local shows will end. The Doctors on Call show, the friday night sports show, the sports preview shows, everything that has to do with Western Kansas will come to an end. Unless for some odd reason Wichita (or who ever they merge with) picks it up, but again, they know this isn't a money producing area for them, so they probably wouldn't.

As for as I've seen, Brownback is cutting all non-essential services and they have already decided that PBS is not an essential service and have already cut their money. But I'm too lazy to look up the budget details.
Back to top Go down
immagyn

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Sounds like you are right and that is why the acting GM is from Wichita. Wichita was always there and I think they expected this would happen eventually. In Kansas there was Wichita, the big city, and Smoky Hills represented essentially the rest of Kansas, all the smaller communities which is really what Kansas is all about. Too bad Fort Hays has not demonstrated more of an interest, but it seems like it is too late.

KTWU is licensed to Washburn so they will not take over Smoky Hills. Wichita will take it over and make Smoky Hills a translator of Wichita. If Fort Hays State U would get involved they could take over the license and base the station in Hays, the city of license. There may be some educational opportunities, continuing education courses, opportunities for their faculty, which might be available. That would be the best opportunity and it would improve FHSU's footprint and enhance its image.

Ken.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 pm

FHSU had a chance when SHPTV first came about as a thought but they did not want the station. Plus if SHPTV can get the donor money to cover the loss of state money by this time next year they will be good to go for another year or more. I have faith in them to pull it out.

Last edited by slickjay12 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 pm

So, just to be clear, rich people who can afford to donate are needed, yet vilified because of it?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:27 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
So, just to be clear, rich people who can afford to donate are needed, yet vilified because of it?

I am not vilifying them
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:15 am

Bighead wrote:
Quote :
It's all the same principal. We don't have the money. Stop spending.

No, that isn't the principle.

I personally don't care one way or the other what happens to PBS or NPR. But the fact is that Republicans are NOT making any serious effort to cut spending. What they're doing is TARGETING spending cuts at any and all programs that they don't like... while ignoring vastly more expensive programs that their constituents (the top 1% wealthiest Americans) are benefitting from. It's Republican social-engineering, using spending cuts as an excuse.

Just off the top of my head, here's a list of stuff the Republicans are cutting or trying to cut:

education
National Endowment for the Arts
planned parenthood
federal financial aide
public broadcasting

And and quite a few others I'm sure... I'm just too lazy to google it.

Compared with other programs in the federal budget, these are a drop in the bucket. This is nothing but political posturing and shitting on their political rivals. Notably absent from all this Republican cut-spending craze are "defense", our two or three wars, farm $ub$idies, corporate welfare (tax breaks for oil companies, among other things)... basically anything that their constituents (big industry and people with lotsa $$) benefit from.

Neither party is serious about cutting spending or balancing the budget. The Democrats aren't fooling anybody... but they're not really trying either. We all KNOW that they're a bunch of tax & spend social engineers. But my point is that the Republicans are no better. The only difference is that they have lots of ya'll fooled.

I think that we're reaching the point at which lawmakers have no choice but to address budgetary problems in SOME manner. And here's how they'll do it: They'll cut spending on poor people (billionaire & corporate welfare will be largely untouched). They'll raise taxes on the upper middle class (people who make enough money to be worth taxing, but not enough to have their own accounting department to take advantage of hundreds of built-in loopholes). And they will continue to print monopoly money.

Overall I think it's a workable strategery. The Financial Empire of America could very well remain intact for decades to come by my reckoning. The biggest danger that I see on the horizon, though- as a result of our excessive money-printing is that the Dollar could lose its status as the world's reserve currency... as happend to the British Pound quite a few decades ago as the british empire crumbled. Now that would suck for all of us- we Americans enjoy some significant monetary advantages over the rest of the world right now (since oil can essentially be purchased only in dollars). If a new reserve currency happens, we will suddenly have to start working for an honest living just like people elsewhere in the world. It'll be ugly, but we can do it. But it will be ugly.

But one factor which might keep the dollar in its current position as the world's reserve currency is this: We have the biggest and baddest military in the world and we LOVE sending our people out to kill and be killed. Some say that that's why we went after Saddam- he threatened to sell oil using currency other than dollars. Iran made much the same threat a few years later, and while we haven't invaded- we're certainly putting pressure on them. And if you'll have a look at a map- we have them surrounded on both sides (Iraq and Afghanistan).

But I digress. My point is that you're a dumbass, EP.

And you are doing exactly what every dumbass does. "We can't do anything about it, so why bother." I wasn't just talking about public broadcasting spending, I was talking about ALL spending, starting with military and going straight through every level of the government. If we just bring the troops home from every country in the world, and we do have troops in virtually every country, we could save a trillion and a half dollars a year. Does that number sound familiar?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 3:27 am

Careful EP. That last reply you wrote sounded like me. Next thing you know you'll be hating the rich. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:47 am

The Other One wrote:

And you are doing exactly what every dumbass does. "We can't do anything about it, so why bother." I wasn't just talking about public broadcasting spending, I was talking about ALL spending, starting with military and going straight through every level of the government. If we just bring the troops home from every country in the world, and we do have troops in virtually every country, we could save a trillion and a half dollars a year. Does that number sound familiar?

Why do you hate Freedom, EP?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 am

Bighead wrote:
The Other One wrote:

There are two songs titled "Freedom" that I can recall. You're right about the one by Wham. I hate it. But the one done by Jimi Hendrix is pretty good.

(I know it's a smartass reply, but you did capitalize it.)
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:14 pm

The Other One wrote:
Bighead wrote:

There are two songs titled "Freedom" that I can recall. You're right about the one by Wham. I hate it. But the one done by Jimi Hendrix is pretty good.

(I know it's a smartass reply, but you did capitalize it.)

How does this one strike ya? It isn't capitolized.

public tv P11137119
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 am

This is one of the ways in which PBS stations will lose a lot of their local identity and programming. A beginning of the end? PBS <---

slickjay12 wrote:
As a former employee of the station who lost his job because of Hitler Brownback the station may survive this fiscal year but hard telling about next year. The station lost 20% of its state money this year but Hilter promise to cut any money for public broadcasting next year. Now with the debt ceiling stuff in D.C. and there needing to be cuts to raise the ceiling I am wondering about the federal money for all public broadcasting. Allot of people don't see public broadcasting as good use of tax payer money. I aslo enjoy the comments about how the sale of Sesame Street and other shows toys and games could pay for PBS but the stations never see any of that money.
Back to top Go down
immagyn

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

We should remember the state fund are participating dollars. That is there are Federal dollars which are sent via CPB to all member stations, as well as the foundation and membership dollars which all contribute to sustaining the station and its staff. Cutting the State dollars in the case of a station as small as Smoky Hills could result in the station going dark or more likely becoming a translator of Wichita, resulting in the dollars going to Wichita rather than Western Kansas.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 485

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Well this is distressing. Shall we do a bake sale? I can make a Big Bird Cake. Or a Brownback as Hitler Cake. Hmm. public tv Cuar01_cohen0711
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:02 am

Rog wrote:
Brownback as Hitler Cake.

Whatever happened to Obama's call for civility? Guess that doesn't apply when people don't agree with liberals.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 485

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 am

Brownback is pretty rude. I think we are going to regret letting him slip in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

public tv Empty
PostSubject: Re: public tv   public tv Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

public tv
Page 1 of 1