Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Election

Go down 
+7
SciFi
dz724
lilchefed
Justoo
Ratzilla
nitromaxx98
gmcox
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 pm

The Other One wrote:
The only thing that you named here that was designed to bring business to Hays in the past is the HCVB. The Sports Complex isn't even open yet, and the other two are irrelevant in a discussion of attracting business.

The HCVB is too far south with no advertising. Which is why it sits empty 99.9% of the time.(fact) Even IF the Sports Complex is finished, it will also sit empty most of the year and will create little if any revenue.(prediction willing to bet on) The trees were planted to entice people to stop and spend.(fact) Polycarts, as we have discussed, are just a huge waste of money in an attempt to make Hays seem larger and a pet project under the guise of saving.(opinion)

So, yeah, it's all connected.

Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Justoo wrote:
He's still on.

EP don't watch PBS.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 pm

The Other One wrote:
Hey, talk about culture! I just heard a radio commercial for Red Green at the 12th St. Auditorium on April 9th. It says the show is sold out, but he's doing a meet 'n' greet at Heartland Lumber in the afternoon. Wow!

Actually, I haven't ever heard of Red Green, but he sounds really old, so I figured Ratzo and/or Blackie know who he is.

He's an old favorite of Luke's. And he's alot like alot of Kansans in that there's no job can't be done with duct tape.

Back to topic.... Ellis went to polycarts too. It came shortly after the rule of how much weight trash men could pick up. I think it has as much to do with avoiding workmans comp claims as trying to impress visitors. But Hays picking bright blue ones may be more for show. They're plain black in Ellis for trash and green for yard waste. The trees on Vine were just stupid. You're supposed to watch the road while driving and on Vine that's highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Hey, talk about culture! I just heard a radio commercial for Red Green at the 12th St. Auditorium on April 9th. It says the show is sold out, but he's doing a meet 'n' greet at Heartland Lumber in the afternoon. Wow!

Actually, I haven't ever heard of Red Green, but he sounds really old, so I figured Ratzo and/or Blackie know who he is.

He's an old favorite of Luke's. And he's alot like alot of Kansans in that there's no job can't be done with duct tape.

Back to topic.... Ellis went to polycarts too. It came shortly after the rule of how much weight trash men could pick up. I think it has as much to do with avoiding workmans comp claims as trying to impress visitors. But Hays picking bright blue ones may be more for show. They're plain black in Ellis for trash and green for yard waste. The trees on Vine were just stupid. You're supposed to watch the road while driving and on Vine that's highly recommended.

I'm curious, Ratz. What do they charge you for the polycarts for trash and are the yard waste cans extra?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:33 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Justoo wrote:
He's still on.

EP don't watch PBS.

Untrue. I watched the recent two-hour show that amazingly was very negative about Jimmy Carter's failed presidency. Also watched a little of the state wrestling coverage and some of the state football coverage back in the fall. However, Barney, Big Bird and Bob Villa can't hold my interest for even a second.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:34 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:

I'm curious, Ratz. What do they charge you for the polycarts for trash and are the yard waste cans extra?

They charge for the polycarts? In Topeka, they didn't charge unless you lost one.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:37 am

How many city commission positions are being filled?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 am

Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:

Sanitation charge is $21 a month and I think cart rental is in that at $1 each for the first 2. Additional carts are available but I think extra may be higher prices.

EP are you sure a cart charge wasn't included on the Topeka sanitation? My bill doesn't specifically list a cart rental fee but I know there is one.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:38 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:

I know, I'm not Ratz, but so you know it's kinda standard practice....
When we lived in Salina, household trash poly carts were $12/month, yard waste carts were $8. In the lovely town of Hoyt, Nitro, household polys are $11/month and everyone has a burn pile in their backyard for yard waste. Wanna come over for a wienie roast? 'Bout time to set ours ablaze...

Last edited by suzyr on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Yeah, to clarify, that's trash fee... before polys Salina was 8.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:

Sanitation charge is $21 a month and I think cart rental is in that at $1 each for the first 2. Additional carts are available but I think extra may be higher prices.

EP are you sure a cart charge wasn't included on the Topeka sanitation? My bill doesn't specifically list a cart rental fee but I know there is one.

Hays was $12.20 before polycarts and included one metal can per water meter. Went to $15.20 per address three years before carts were put in place. Since where I live has always been two apartments, sanitation went from $12.20 a month to $30.40. Could not get two cans before but can now.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 pm

We don't pay anything for our carts. We have to pay per bag for any extra garbage that does not fit in our trash cart, along with our monthly garbage fee (we pay thru the homeowners association.) However, our recycling is unlimited (paper, cardboard, plastic and aluminum) for free. We have to take our glass to special containers placed around town. Yardwaste is unlimited in the paper bags.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

dz724 wrote:
We don't pay anything for our carts. We have to pay per bag for any extra garbage that does not fit in our trash cart, along with our monthly garbage fee (we pay thru the homeowners association.) However, our recycling is unlimited (paper, cardboard, plastic and aluminum) for free. We have to take our glass to special containers placed around town. Yardwaste is unlimited in the paper bags.

Aren't paper bags bad for the environment? All the rest of that sounds very PC.

Do you have the same "free" pickup of major items that Topeka has? That being you leave it out by the curb and it disappears by morning. I'm not kidding. We left an air mattress with an hole in it that was well beyond repair by the curb and it was gone before the trash was picked up.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:34 am

Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:20 am

The Other One wrote:
dz724 wrote:

Aren't paper bags bad for the environment? All the rest of that sounds very PC.

Do you have the same "free" pickup of major items that Topeka has? That being you leave it out by the curb and it disappears by morning. I'm not kidding. We left an air mattress with an hole in it that was well beyond repair by the curb and it was gone before the trash was picked up.

I've never done the research but we were asked by the city of Shawnee to put our yard waste in paperbags. I figure it makes more sense, just in the biodegradable Swansea. Yardwaste and paper will break down faster than yardwaste in plastic garbage bags. We have 3-4 of the large item pick up days per year when people "shop" the night before the trash trucks come. Sometimes you'll see the same truck making rounds for several loads. A very nice couple took an outdated light fixture we took out of our dining room to put into their "Lakehouse".
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 10:17 am

Hey there's been some fine antiques put out for trash before. An old woman asked me once to throw away an old piece of furniture for her. It was a very ornate Eastlake style commode done in oak with solid brass fixtures and burl walnut inlays, high back beveled mirror in an equally nice frame all with a variegated marble top and backsplash. And it didn't even need refinishing. Similar to this, but even more ornate and had the mirror too.

http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive4/mjgaasinc/22572/0190_1_lg.jpg

I told her it was valuable and she should take it to an antique shop. She said she didn't need money and had no plans to go to an antique shop. I told her I'd take it then and she actually felt guilty for me hauling away her old junk. Wish I knew 100 old ladies like her.

Unfortunately she didn't need my help to throw away a large number of tintype pictures and they were already gone. No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Election - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election   Election - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Election
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2