Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Radical Speech

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:59 am

Thought Bignose and bobby might appreciate this:

nb, your hubby will like it. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 am

Quote :
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Nice sig line dumbass. It's misattributed... but that fits well with your brand of wishful thinking:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Quote :
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in english literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet. Some of these observations are made in response to a query at Google Answers.
The earliest known similar statements are:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Gary Strand, Usenet group sci.environment, 23 April 1990. [7]
Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
Marvin Simkin, "Individual Rights", Los Angeles Times, 12 January 1992:[8]
Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
James Bovard, Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty (1994), ISBN 0312123337, p. 333
Also cited as by Bovard in the Sacramento Bee (1994)
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Is that better, dear?

So I take it you liked the video.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Yes, that's better.

Didn't watch the video. Not interested.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Bighead wrote:
Didn't watch the video. Not interested.

Maybe this one would pique your interest.

Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I don't expect these videos to interest you. But for folks who are interested in (non-Beckian) historical context, these might be interesting.

Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:52 pm

That video was made prior to 1954. If you would bother to watch the Skelton video, he recites it that way, too.

John Wayne's explanation of the phrase "under God" is that it's an expression of religious freedom in this country. That would include you, as an atheist, whose god is yourself.

By the way, didn't the guy in your video win an Oscar for Best Actor last night?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Lately I've been saying 'under Allah'.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Bighead wrote:
Lately I've been saying 'under Allah'.

Practicing?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 pm

No- it's about religious freedom. I worship the FSM, and He is my version of Allah. Jehovah/Yahweh is your version of Allah. And that guy I bought a car from back in the fall by the name of Jihad (no shit... but he goes by 'Jay')- Allah is his version of Allah.

So in Allah we trust. It's all about Religious Freedomâ„¢.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm

The Other One wrote:
That video was made prior to 1954. If you would bother to watch the Skelton video, he recites it that way, too.

John Wayne's explanation of the phrase "under God" is that it's an expression of religious freedom in this country. That would include you, as an atheist, whose god is yourself.

By the way, didn't the guy in your video win an Oscar for Best Actor last night?

"Under God" was officially added after strong urging of The Knights Of Columbus. I doubt the Catholics wanted the Atheists to feel it pertained to them. And an Atheist does not see themself as a god anyway. Not sure how you got that idea unless you are only specifying Bighead. Ike and others liked it because it differentiated the US from the "Godless communists". It was accepted out of political crapola.

My parents and grandparents generations worked harder, made it through WWI, WWII, or both, The Great Depression, and The Dust Bowl, and were typically more resilient, responsible, and honest than modern generations. No one had to force them to recite religious lines in school to achieve it either.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:

"Under God" was officially added after strong urging of The Knights Of Columbus. I doubt the Catholics wanted the Atheists to feel it pertained to them. And an Atheist does not see themself as a god anyway. Not sure how you got that idea unless you are only specifying Bighead. Ike and others liked it because it differentiated the US from the "Godless communists". It was accepted out of political crapola.

My parents and grandparents generations worked harder, made it through WWI, WWII, or both, The Great Depression, and The Dust Bowl, and were typically more resilient, responsible, and honest than modern generations. No one had to force them to recite religious lines in school to achieve it either.

I actually posted it to tweak Bignose and bobby. I forgot about you. Can you ever forgive me? I don't actually care much about this. Nor do I care care what anyone else's religious beliefs are. But it's fun to see you guys get all worked up about it.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 am

i pledge allegiance; to the flag, of the United States of Zion.......
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 am

robert wrote:
i pledge allegiance; to the flag, of the United States of Zion.......

Radical Speech Police_recruit
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 am

EP, suppose someone in some distant future day, or in California or NYC next Friday, decides that since the majority of their residents practice Islam that everyone should pledge allegiance to Allah? And suppose they decide every Christian kid remaining there needs to recite allegiance to Allah every morning? I must assume that's nothing to get excited about.

By the way EP, you should care about these things. Because it may very well be the vile hatred caused by the Christian/Islam/Judaism trilogy that sparks WWIII and the end of things as we know them.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 5:43 am

Ratzilla wrote:
EP, suppose someone in some distant future day, or in California or NYC next Friday, decides that since the majority of their residents practice Islam that everyone should pledge allegiance to Allah? And suppose they decide every Christian kid remaining there needs to recite allegiance to Allah every morning? I must assume that's nothing to get excited about.

By the way EP, you should care about these things. Because it may very well be the vile hatred caused by the Christian/Islam/Judaism trilogy that sparks WWIII and the end of things as we know them.

Nah. It will be money and/or oil.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 am

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Nah. It will be money and/or oil.

Any number of things could spark WWIII, though religion may still be a deciding factor.

But you didn't answer the question. If the majority decides in a given locale, or nationally, that every school kid should pledge allegiance to Allah, is that ok by you? What if some future ruler decides that all citizens should pledge allegiance to the president? Please, no Obama jokes. Is that ok with you if Allah, or the president, is decided by "the important folk of the time" to be who every school kid will pledge allegiance to?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radical Speech Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radical Speech   Radical Speech Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radical Speech
Page 1 of 1