Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Home Brew Club of Hays

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
okobojicat

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Home Brew Club of Hays Empty
PostSubject: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

We're starting a home brew club in Hays. If you make your own beer or wine, or if you are thinking about it, we would love to have you. We're meeting at Gella's on November 13 at 1pm. First meeting will be to see how many people we have interested and to describe the process for those uninitiated in the love of making your own beer.

if you have any questions, email me at matt99stevens@yahoo.com
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Don't brew beer myself, but a friend of mine does. I'll let him know.

Free State Brewery produces a pale ale under the name "Copperhead Ale". A tasty beer for certain, but it has a pronounced bitter hoppiness. That shouldn't be in a pale ale.

I sampled a Dark IPA the other evening that expressed overtones of ripened cherries and undertones of hazelnut. It was sweet for an IPA but enjoyable.

Sampling a Breckenridge "Small Batch 471" at this time. A cloudy golden brew seems to have a good balance of malt and hops. Just enough malt to compliment the bitterness with hint honey detectable after a bit. At 9.2% it should warm you well on a cool fall evening.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 pm

471 is good stuff, but slightly pricey compared to others. I like the hops being bold myself so might try the Copperhead. For the money I like Sierra Nevada brews. They don't skimp on the hops, but they are well balanced. Their Barleywine is about the same ABV as 471 but darker and full of bold tastes, and it only comes out once a year in our area for less than a month.

There's some more expensive double IPA's and barleywines available locally, but they're from around $6 to as much as $12 for one 22 ounce bottle and that makes me hesitant to try them. But I think I've had every other IPA available in the county if it was in a 4 or 6 pack. One beer I miss that stores used to carry was Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner, which would better be described as a hop heavy double IPA. I guess it didn't sell fast enough because of the price. Us Chermins can be tight asses.

I'd like to try home brewing, but I got a feeling it'd be time consuming and sometimes that'd be a problem for me.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Us Chermins can be tight asses.
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 am

Ever try anything from here?

Home Brew Club of Hays Intercourse%20beer

Yeah, it's a real brewery.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 am

Haven't seen it on the shelves locally.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Nope. There's a ton of microbreweries that havn't made it here yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home Brew Club of Hays   Home Brew Club of Hays Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Brew Club of Hays
Page 1 of 1