Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Wish I could see a video

Go down 
+5
Blackie Kuhn
nobodysbusiness
nitromaxx98
Bighead
SciFi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Wish I could see a video Empty
PostSubject: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:13 pm

I think the cop should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. But nobody asked me.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Bighead wrote:
I think the cop should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon. But nobody asked me.

Why?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Because he assaulted a kid with a deadly weapon. And that's against the law- for some people.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:32 pm

How is a taser a deadly weapon?
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm

the dumbass shouldnt have run out on the field at a professional baseball game.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Let me guess, bighead, he has the right to be a dumbass. but therefore doesn't he also deserve to suffer the consequences thereof?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm

People have died from tasers on multiple occasions.

Maybe the cop should've just shot him. He had it coming.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:40 pm

People have died for centuries due to means outside their control. This guy was in control, broke the law, and paid the price. He did not die.

Had one of the ballplayers hit a line drive and beaned a fan, should he also be charged with assault?
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 1:03 am

I thought it was a bit harsh for committing a harmless shenannigan. No
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:38 am

I'm leaning in Bigheads direction on this. Sure the guy interrupted the game, But if he was not armed and/or threatening to do harm to others there was no need to use a taser or a gun.

Some retraining of law enforcement is in order all across America.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 8:21 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
I thought it was a bit harsh for committing a harmless shenannigan. No

I agree.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 9:11 am

Justoo wrote:
I'm leaning in Bigheads direction on this. Sure the guy interrupted the game, But if he was not armed and/or threatening to do harm to others there was no need to use a taser or a gun.

Some retraining of law enforcement is in order all across America.

Should he have been left alone and allowed to continue?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Justoo wrote:
I'm leaning in Bigheads direction on this. Sure the guy interrupted the game, But if he was not armed and/or threatening to do harm to others there was no need to use a taser or a gun. Some retraining of law enforcement is in order all across America.

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Should he have been left alone and allowed to continue?
Sure he should have, Nitro. The guy was obviously no threat to anybody. How could stadium security be so reckless as to assume anything else? After all, he was simply one of the thousands of fans in the stands who made the choice to get out of his seat, jump down to the field, run around the field, flee from security, and interrupt a professional baseball game. Where's the tolerance? Where's the innocent-until-proven-guilty? Oh, the humanity.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 5:43 pm

I also side with Bighead here. Where's the sense of humor nowdays? He wasn't a terrorist, or some guy gone postal. But law enforcement too often sees everyone that way in modern times.

Remember when streakers were showing up at games and public events all over the place? We could use more of that humor again.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

They only had to have enough patience to allow sufficient security persons to gather around him. By then he might have even tired himself out running around like a headless chicken.

On rare occasion tasers have a deadly effect. Such risk should be used only in situations where harm to others is likely. Next thing you know they will be using them on gray haired old ladies.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 6:58 pm

So, an unknown person with unknown intentions who may or may not be carrying a weapon breaks the law by running onto a field during a public sporting event and refuses to stop. The correct response by security is "let's see what he does. Maybe he'll get tired"?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Justoo wrote:
They only had to have enough patience to allow sufficient security persons to gather around him. By then he might have even tired himself out running around like a headless chicken.

On rare occasion tasers have a deadly effect. Such risk should be used only in situations where harm to others is likely. Next thing you know they will be using them on gray haired old ladies.

Already been done. Anybody want a link?

And don't forget about the six year old a while back.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:54 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
So, an unknown person with unknown intentions who may or may not be carrying a weapon breaks the law by running onto a field during a public sporting event and refuses to stop. The correct response by security is "let's see what he does. Maybe he'll get tired"?

Two incidents involving these "people with unknown intentions" come to mind:

1. Monica Seles, professional tennis player

wikipedia wrote:
Seles was the top women's player heading into 1993, having won the French Open three consecutive years and both the US Open and Australian Open in consecutive years. In January 1993, Seles defeated Graf in the final of the Australian Open, which to date was her third win in four Grand Slam finals with Graf.

However on April 30 during a quarterfinal match with Magdalena Maleeva in Hamburg in which Seles was leading 6–4, 4–3, Günter Parche, an obsessed fan of Steffi Graf, ran from the middle of the crowd to the edge of the court during a break between games and stabbed Seles with a boning knife between her shoulder blades, to a depth of 1.5 cm (.59 inches). Parche admitted that he stabbed Seles to help Graf regain the No.1 ranking. She was quickly rushed to a hospital. Although her physical injuries took only a few weeks to heal, she did not return to competitive tennis for more than two years.

Parche was charged following the incident but was not jailed because he was found to be psychologically abnormal and was instead sentenced to two years' probation and psychological treatment.

2. Tom Gamboa, former Kansas City Royals first base coach

During a 2002 game in Chicago, Gamboa was attacked and beaten by a drunken father/son duo who ran onto the field. The "father" gave the following explanation in his apology to Gamboa: "We were on drugs when we got to the park, then we drank beer throughout the game, and then we made a decision to get attention so when we got on the field, you were the closest one to us and your back was turned, so you were an easy target." This jackass was given probation, and after four violations, the judge continued to give him probation because "we have to understand that he is fighting a drug and alcohol problem."

In this case, not only would the cops have been justified in tazing these two clowns, they would have been justified in tazing the judge, too.

There are signs clearly posted at all professional sports events warning of the consequences to unauthorized people for going onto the field/court/ice. This idiot chose to ignore the warnings, then tried to elude the cops and Pinkertons who were attempting to get him off the field. Yes, Bignose, there have been incidents of people dying after being tazed. There are also incidents of people dying after drinking a glass of water, but generally a glass of water is only lethal to the Wicked Witch of the West. It's a risk that the idiot chose to expose himself to when he chose to ignore the rules.

To quote Charles Barkley on last night's NBA postgame show: "Hell, yeah! Taze his ass!"
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:09 am

We could ban all live spectator sports. Then you could pay $200 per game to watch it pay per view in your heavily guarded secret bunkers. That is of course if your state appointed psychologist doesn't think it's too emotionally disturbing for you to see contact sports. Smile

You know there's two ways to look at this. Yeah the guy is an idiot and I'd laugh at him if they tazed him till he drooled. But do we really want tazing on sight to be the automatic police action for anyone the authorities disagree with?

It's not so much what they did to him as it is the fact that the authorities have taken what was once considered as a way to take down madmen as the common solution to anyone they don't have the balls to physically take down. And I saw a photo of that guy. My calico cat has more balls than him.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:46 am

Ratzilla wrote:
It's not so much what they did to him as it is the fact that the authorities have taken what was once considered as a way to take down madmen as the common solution to anyone they don't have the balls to physically take down. And I saw a photo of that guy. My calico cat has more balls than him.
That really has little to do with it. But, why chase some young, fast, and probably drunk idiot all over the field when a Taser will negate that advantage, and the problem, so effectively? A belligerent, troublesome fan in the stands is one thing, but some dicksmack jumping onto the field and running around like a deranged fool is quite another. Not that it matters, but some of the players on the field found it humorously entertaining. Probably the look on the dumbshit's face as the needles sunk in and delivered their payload.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbwSwvUaRqc Kinda off topic but interesting
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Poor dog never had a chance. I wonder what breed it was?Pomeranian perhaps? maybe a sheltie? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:44 pm

SciFi wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
That really has little to do with it. But, why chase some young, fast, and probably drunk idiot all over the field when a Taser will negate that advantage, and the problem, so effectively? A belligerent, troublesome fan in the stands is one thing, but some dicksmack jumping onto the field and running around like a deranged fool is quite another. Not that it matters, but some of the players on the field found it humorously entertaining. Probably the look on the dumbshit's face as the needles sunk in and delivered their payload.

It has everything to do with it. This has happened over and over and nobody needed to resort to tasers before. As I said, I might find it funny to taser that idiot too. But if we ignore every use of tasers as being the easy way to do things it will only become more common. Someone disputes a traffic ticket, no problem. Taser diplomacy. Kid caught soaping windows on Halloween tries to run away, well we'll just buzz the little bastard. Report comes in of a group of protesters downtown, just zap em all and make things easy.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Yup. Tackling, water cannons, and bean bag rounds are a much better way to go.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 7:53 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Yup. Tackling, water cannons, and bean bag rounds are a much better way to go.

For which one? Parking violations or soaping windows on Halloween?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Neither or both depending on the particular situation. I seem to recall an incident of a small town sheriff having to fire a 12ga. slug through the front of an out of control drivers vehicle who refused to stop. Having known the man, I'm sure, should he have had a car tazer as an option, he would have chosen the latter.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 3:02 am

Someone refusing to stop a vehicle isn't quite the same as a fan acting like an ass at a ball game. And knowing that sheriff also, as well as the incident you speak of, I think he'd tell you that. I watched that man in action and using force over diplomacy usually meant the suspect was becoming a threat.

Like me and you, he might think the idiot deserved a tasing and might get a chuckle out of it. But I can't picture him tasing someone who wasn't an obvious threat. Did this guy attack a player or official? Was he brandishing anything resembling a weapon or making threats?

I recall an incident where a police officer we both know pulled a gun on kids dumping trash cans on Halloween. He's a much better officer now, and he's always been a nice guy to me. But then he thought he was just enforcing the law. Just because you have power doesn't mean it must be used.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
I might find it funny to taser that idiot too.

Hit the ground like a sack of wet cement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6-jwh9xd0
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 1:31 am

Next time you display "youthful exhuberance , don't come cryin to anyone about the sudden paralyzing jolt of electricity you recieved Very Happy It's within department guidelines.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:41 am

I was just thinking about what would happen if I used a taser on teenagers running through my yard.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
Next time you display "youthful exhuberance , don't come cryin to anyone about the sudden paralyzing jolt of electricity you recieved Very Happy It's within department guidelines.
I could use a jolt of something, even electricity.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:53 am

Settlement Reached in Topeka Taser Death

I remember when this happened. It was a ridiculous lack of common sense on the part of the deputies who did the tazing. And there's a huge difference between this case and the one in Philadelphia.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 1:04 am

Just another example of putting a little power and control in the wrong hands.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:18 am

The Other One wrote:

I remember when this happened. It was a ridiculous lack of common sense on the part of the deputies who did the tazing. And there's a huge difference between this case and the one in Philadelphia.
I'm glad they reached a settlement and hope it's enough to ensure Shawnee County evaluates their training process and policies in regards to taser use. I didn't read this particular article, but in previous articles, witnesses stated the guy was in his vehicle, deputies had his keys already, so he wasn't going anywhere and they tased him anyway. I think they went too far, my husband thinks they were well within their rights because he refused to follow police orders. Wish I could see a video Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:35 am

suzyr wrote:
The Other One wrote:

I'm glad they reached a settlement and hope it's enough to ensure Shawnee County evaluates their training process and policies in regards to taser use. I didn't read this particular article, but in previous articles, witnesses stated the guy was in his vehicle, deputies had his keys already, so he wasn't going anywhere and they tased him anyway. I think they went too far, my husband thinks they were well within their rights because he refused to follow police orders. Wish I could see a video Icon_rolleyes

As I recall, he had health problems and may have been going through some kind of heart episode or seizure when this happened. He was sitting in his car, draped over the steering wheel and mostly unresponsive. Sounds like a good reason to shock him. The other workers said the he was acting strange at work, and some of them said that they told the security people that before they called the cops. It sounded like he needed an ambulance and he got a taser.

Topeka is full of morons with zero common sense. And I'm not just talking about the legislature. Sounds like the sheriff's department hired some of them.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:25 pm

I see these ballfield runners like a rabbit chased by a dog, or a drunk chased by cops. The faster you chase the more the adrenaline pumps so the faster they run. Quit chasing and they soon have no reason to run.

Cops who would zap a guy slumped over his steering wheel are just plain stupid.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
I see these ballfield runners like a rabbit chased by a dog, or a drunk chased by cops. The faster you chase the more the adrenaline pumps so the faster they run. Quit chasing and they soon have no reason to run.

Cops who would zap a guy slumped over his steering wheel are just plain stupid.

Back in the day, there were people like Morganna the Kissing Bandit, who would get on the field with her giants jugs bouncing around, run up to a player and kiss him, then be led off by security.

Wish I could see a video File:Morganna_the_kissing_bandit
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:05 am

The Other One wrote:
Back in the day, there were people like Morganna the Kissing Bandit, who would get on the field with her giants jugs bouncing around, run up to a player and kiss him, then be led off by security.

Wiki photo being fussy. Maybe try this way. Yeah, I'd forgot all about her. Bet it'd have caused a riot if she got tased.

Wish I could see a video Morganna_the_kissing_bandit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wish I could see a video   Wish I could see a video Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wish I could see a video
Page 1 of 1