Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Takeover of our cell phones ????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Samwitty
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Samwitty

Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Takeover of our cell phones ???? Empty
PostSubject: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Emergency broadcasting system takeover of our cell phones?

In the news, the federal government has approved a plan to use your cell phone as part of a nation-wide emergency alert system. The idea is that in case of a national emergency such as a terrorist attack, a local emergency such as a tornado or hurricane, or even personal crimes such as child kidnappings, text messages would be sent to cell phones to notify the public.

Mobile phones are becoming more and more widespread and most people carry theirs with them everywhere. That opens up a unique opportunity for conveying important information - but some folks don't want unsolicited messages, especially from government agencies, even if the intent is noble. There is supposed to be a way to opt-out and there's no charge for the messages. Still, it does seem more like an invasion of privacy than broadcasting those messages on TV and radio. Will we have to deal with "This is a test. This is only a test" messages on a regular basis?
Good idea or bad? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.biteme.com
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 4:30 pm

I would have to say I am not in favor of it. I bought my phone for my use. I do not like phone solicitations and I don't like this idea. I have enough other technology that I use to keep me informed of whats going on already.
Back to top Go down
letsallskate
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 134

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Samwitty wrote:
Emergency broadcasting system takeover of our cell phones?
There is supposed to be a way to opt-out and there's no charge for the messages. Still, it does seem more like an invasion of privacy than broadcasting those messages on TV and radio. scratch

I think you said everything you need to say right here. IT isn't mandatory (or at least it looks as though it wouldn't be) and there is no charge. IF you are the type of person who wants to know right now when some child in another part of the state was kidnapped, then you can find out. Personally, I would opt in for the weather alerts. I already do that now with my cell phone.

And I don't really see it as an "invasion of privacy." I think people throw that phrase around too often. Just being told something that you didn't choose initially to be told about doesn't consititute invasion of your privacy, no more so than an annoying billboard on the roadside.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 6:51 pm

I read about some type of an emergency notification testing at FHSU the other day. I know it mentioned cell phones either being used or considered to be used in the future. I do know they sent e-mails out as part of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 8:06 pm

at fhsu they made it manditory for it's employees to provide a contact number for this notification. a month before the test took place they sent a note out to all department heads with the names of individuals who did not give the required information out and made them give it. on another note i did sign up for the amber alert notification.....don't remeber the web site but i wish it gave a person the choice of an area to be covered instead of just a choice of 5 towns or cities
Back to top Go down
letsallskate
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 134

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm

zeke wrote:
at fhsu they made it manditory for it's employees to provide a contact number for this notification. a month before the test took place they sent a note out to all department heads with the names of individuals who did not give the required information out and made them give it. on another note i did sign up for the amber alert notification.....don't remeber the web site but i wish it gave a person the choice of an area to be covered instead of just a choice of 5 towns or cities
It is mandatory where I work as well. And that makes sense. Especially with the problems on campuses these days. Again, I don't think this is an invasion of privacy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Takeover of our cell phones ????   Takeover of our cell phones ???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Takeover of our cell phones ????
Page 1 of 1