Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Halloween

Go down 
+5
Blackie Kuhn
SciFi
suzyj
luv2cook
Ratzilla
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 pm

Had 146 kids here. Busiest Halloween night I ever had. Hate to see it over.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:28 pm

Shocked Dude where do you live??? Outside of family we had..................................

one. Sad this year sucked.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:32 pm

In Ellis.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:34 pm

It was pretty bad in our tiny town, too L2C.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 11:37 pm

I only had 94 kids last year and 96 the year before. It really picked up this year.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm

I can't believe I just saw a woman whose van windows were soaped driving around with "ass ho" among other things still on her windows. Since she isn't known for such activities I'd have to guess she didn't give any candy out or was one of those single stick of gum types.

My eldest sister got a half an onion from some old crone in Plainville in the 50's so mom told the teenage boys and they got revenge.

There was an old man my dad told me about in Plainville who got his outhouse tipped over each year with him in it. So one year he got help to move it forward and disguised the hole to look like solid ground. When he headed for his nightly trip out there the boys ran up behind to push it over and they went right in the pit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:53 pm

That's nasty!
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
There was an old man my dad told me about in Plainville who got his outhouse tipped over each year with him in it. So one year he got help to move it forward and disguised the hole to look like solid ground. When he headed for his nightly trip out there the boys ran up behind to push it over and they went right in the pit. Very Happy
Hilarious! Serves the little miscreants right. We just had one visit. A buck in quarters and choice of a candy bar for each girl. RZ, That's an amazing number of visits! What did you give them?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 5:02 pm

I gave generous amounts of candy till it ran low, then I started giving a choice of quarters or candy, then finally just quarters. I was only prepared for about 100 with the candy supply, but I give more than one thing too. I buy the various mixture bags, some different chocolate bars, smarties etc., and each kid gets at least 1/2 a dozen things. Luckily I had a jar full of quarters.

I remember places in Hays getting a single stick of gum or a penny when I was a kid so I make sure they know they got something when they come to my house. Now if I got a dime back in the 60's I thought I did well cause that still bought a full size candy bar or bottle of pop.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:56 pm

At least you're not one of the cheapos that put a handful of popcorn in the bag. I always hated that. I would have been happy with half an onion.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 am

Plain popcorn huh? Sounds like an idea my mom would have had back in the 60's when she was shopping the dented can and day old bread aisles in the stores. LOL She wasn't too bad at Halloween though. She gave out things like suckers, mini boxes of raisins, and candy corn. I think I usually guided her on the treat selection as much as possible.

I have been giving out about $50 worth of candy each year and having just barely enough, but I guess I'll need to up it to $75 if the weather looks good. So I guess I average 50 cents per kid.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Someone told me that out on Thunderbird they were giving out crayons and other small toys. woooo? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm

In years past I mixed plastic spiders, bats, bugs, and stuff into the candy and the kids liked that.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 pm

I have to admit I didn't do candy this year. But mainly because I have a little one who can't have nuts yet and I was afraid that if he got into the candy dish he'd get sick. We would have done candy otherwise- and will next year when we know if he can have nuts or not.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Somebody here was handing out those little single serve tea and kool-aide packets you add to a bottle of water. My 9 year old thought that was pretty cool, the 12 yr old, not so much. lol
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:42 am

dz724 wrote:
I have to admit I didn't do candy this year. But mainly because I have a little one who can't have nuts yet and I was afraid that if he got into the candy dish he'd get sick. We would have done candy otherwise- and will next year when we know if he can have nuts or not.

How unfair!! Just because he can't have nuts yet why does that mean he can't have candy? So does that mean girls can never have candy? Shocked

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:50 am

Someone in Lawrence was handing out Nobel Peace Prizes with the candy. The kids didn't do anything to earn them, either. Very realistic.

I'm not kidding.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:27 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
dz724 wrote:

How unfair!! Just because he can't have nuts yet why does that mean he can't have candy? So does that mean girls can never have candy? Shocked Very Happy
Our neighbors across the street, her kids the only visitors we had, has a girl who is allergic to peanuts. Their mom went through all of her candy and brought us over what was in her stash which contained peanuts, or were made on the same equipment as peanut bearing candy. She had plenty left over.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I was making a joke SciFi. Guess it got missed.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 am

The Other One wrote:
Someone in Lawrence was handing out Nobel Peace Prizes with the candy. The kids didn't do anything to earn them, either. Very realistic.

I'm not kidding.

I told this story at work today. It was a great way to tell who voted democrat and who voted republican, cause republican voters laughed and democrats made faces at me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Ratzilla wrote:

I told this story at work today. It was a great way to tell who voted democrat and who voted republican, cause republican voters laughed and democrats made faces at me. Very Happy
[justify]

Yeah, the Dems at work didn't find the humor in it. I wish I would have thought of that for, you know the 0 kids we had stop by our house. Oh yeah, we weren't home. :-)

My niece was most excited about the microwavable popcorn she got. Surprisingly, she was the only Hannah Montana we saw.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 12:31 am

The roomie and I decided not stick around here for the trick or treaters so we ventured into Olathe to his brothers house. I was shocked when we left the house here and I bet we seen close to 100 kids in just this development we live in.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 am

Oz wrote:
My niece was most excited about the microwavable popcorn she got. Surprisingly, she was the only Hannah Montana we saw.

A good substitute for candy is pop or fruit drinks. Lugging a big bag of treats works up a thirst. I had one girl I know specifically ask for pop. I think I saw a Hanna, and lots of other celebrities, but surprisingly no politicians and one of my best treats of the night was I never saw a single kid made up as Michael Jackson. One Elvis, but no Jacko. Halloween 862468
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2009 9:22 am

Ratzilla wrote:
dz724 wrote:

How unfair!! Just because he can't have nuts yet why does that mean he can't have candy? So does that mean girls can never have candy? Shocked

Very Happy

He did get candy... just not until after he trick or treated for it. The problem is that all the candy we like has nuts, so what we would have bought would have been risky. I can't speak for all girls- so I'll leave that alone Wink
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
I was making a joke SciFi. Guess it got missed.
Oh, sorry. It won't be the last time I miss something, I guarantee you!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:51 pm

The key word behind my attempt at humor was when dz said "I have a little one who can't have nuts yet. We would have done candy otherwise- and will next year when we know if he can have nuts or not." Get it?

No problem though. Lately alot of jokes here go unnoticed. Smile
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The key word behind my attempt at humor was when dz said "I have a little one who can't have nuts yet. We would have done candy otherwise- and will next year when we know if he can have nuts or not." Get it?

No problem though. Lately alot of jokes here go unnoticed. Smile

you're right ratz I did miss that, I forget thAt not everyone reads what I say the way it sounds in my head when I'm typing it. Geez--- being that it was regarding my one year old, it did not occur to me that anyone would read. Into it with gutter thoughts! Thanks for the reminder about forum posts Wink Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 8:38 pm

It just struck me funny when I read it because of how you worded it. But hey, I work with a bunch of men all day. It's like on Bevis and Butthead. You said nuts.. Uh huh huh. Uh huh huh huh. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halloween Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halloween   Halloween Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halloween
Page 1 of 1