Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Octoberfest Question

Go down 
+10
Ratzilla
slider
suzyj
lilchefed
Blackie Kuhn
wilkykav2
nitromaxx98
LukeTHr
Justoo
scott
14 posters
AuthorMessage
scott

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Octoberfest Question Empty
PostSubject: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

Does anyone know how many Kegs of beer are consumed at the park on Friday?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 am

Not yet.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:32 pm

hundreds
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Zero. The kegs are not consumed, only the contents within.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Octoberfest Question 185511
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 am

I would bet that's a well kept secret due to giving out profit projections to the competing beer distributors.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
I would bet that's a well kept secret due to giving out profit projections to the competing beer distributors.

Why, this is a nice chunk of change for the beer distributors, but if they are holding their entire year on this one day, then they have issues. This is probably not a big mark on their income statements. I'll be working with the Chamber at the Coors Light booth and see if I can get some info from them. But really, wouldn't you want to get your number out there so that you can brag about it, I would assume the number isn't that small.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I don't think they will sell as much as last year. sunny
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 am

Well, I was unsuccesful in getting the number of kegs. All the coors guys were told not to let it out as they don't want the newspaper/media to know. Which I think is dumb. I did get to look at a picture on a guys cell of all the kegs stacked up. We tried to keep track during the day, but they go through so many it is hard. We did do a little high-low with the guy and it seems to be in the 250 area. I think that was all beer booths combined.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Of course, they card all the drinkers. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

They carded you when you got your armband, no armband no beer. Believe me there were more undercover cops than ever down there looking for those armbands. Saw about a half a dozen people being carted off by the pd for the lack of that little band in the 90 minutes I was there, and I left at 1:30 when the rain hit. They were also hitting up legal aged drinkers for having beer outside of the designated areas as well.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Yeah, they use the armbands. Don't know if anyone has started faking them yet. I heard there was extra LEO support in town too. And I've listened to them enforcing the boundry even for legal adults in the past. For the College Octslobberfest and Homecoming are the biggest party events of the year.

And while they may have public safety in mind it is also the biggest cash cow PD has. I'd be interested to know what the dollar amount of tickets, court costs, and other collateral expenses paid out to lawyers, med services, etc. will total.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:41 pm

I worked the Coors Light booth and I didn't really look for armbands. There were a couple of people I told they should go get a band, but I served them anyway. There were some who never went and got bands, but I kept serving them. Probably shouldn't have. One guy I worked with looked across the booth and saw someone he knew was under age, but didn't go and stop it.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:07 pm

lilchefed wrote:
There were some who never went and got bands, but I kept serving them. Probably shouldn't have. .

Gee ya think?
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 pm

My arm band was under my sweatshirt sleeves all day. It's quite obvious that I am over 21 though. I didn't see anyone hauled off. I seen a lot of funny stuff though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am

luv2cook wrote:
lilchefed wrote:
There were some who never went and got bands, but I kept serving them. Probably shouldn't have. .

Gee ya think?

Because I believed them to be of age.

But like SlumberGirl said, I couldn't see most armbands due to long sleeves and with long lines, I wasn't going to stop and ask to see it.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am

lilchefed wrote:
luv2cook wrote:
lilchefed wrote:

Gee ya think?

But like SlumberGirl said, I couldn't see most armbands due to long sleeves and with long lines, I wasn't going to stop and ask to see it.

I don't believe that would be an arguable defense in Court for selling to a Minor.
I guess this is simply a case of chalk it up to making the almighty dollar instead of doing something you are required to do by State and Federal law.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:11 am

slider wrote:
I don't believe that would be an arguable defense in Court for selling to a Minor.
I guess this is simply a case of chalk it up to making the almighty dollar instead of doing something you are required to do by State and Federal law.

I agree, it wouldn't hold up in court, don't think it would go that far though.

As for the almighty dollar, the beer booths were going to sell out no mater what. So it wasn't about making the almighty dollar, as for every person that could have been turned away, there was someone else to make the purchase. If it was about the almighty dollar, they would have tapped new kegs after 5 p.m. In fact, we had one run out and it was like 5:02 and they decided not to start a new keg. Coors then ran out of all their beer by 5:30.

I still don't think I sold to anyone underage. I might have, but I believe they were all of age. I did sell to people that didn't have bands though, but that doesn't mean they are under age.

Oh, and if you ask for and are given a fake ID and you accept the fake ID, you are still guilty of selling to a minor, even if you thought the ID was real.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:05 pm

I have to agree...If you didn't sell it to them then they would have easily had someone else buy it for them. When there's a will there's a way when it comes to underage drinking.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:34 pm

lilchefed wrote:
luv2cook wrote:
lilchefed wrote:

Gee ya think?

My apologies, you didnt explain that part in your original statement and I was wondering why you'd serve them.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm

lilchefed wrote:
slider wrote:

I agree, it wouldn't hold up in court, don't think it would go that far though.

As for the almighty dollar, the beer booths were going to sell out no mater what. So it wasn't about making the almighty dollar, as for every person that could have been turned away, there was someone else to make the purchase. If it was about the almighty dollar, they would have tapped new kegs after 5 p.m. In fact, we had one run out and it was like 5:02 and they decided not to start a new keg. Coors then ran out of all their beer by 5:30.

I still don't think I sold to anyone underage. I might have, but I believe they were all of age. I did sell to people that didn't have bands though, but that doesn't mean they are under age.

Oh, and if you ask for and are given a fake ID and you accept the fake ID, you are still guilty of selling to a minor, even if you thought the ID was real.

The nice little lady from the Volga-German Society in the opening Ceremonies announced that no kegs were to be tapped after 5:30.

If they, FHSU and the Volga-German Society have set it up that only people that have armbands are to be sold beer, then you better had adhered to those rules. Ignorance is no excuse, you should have checked each and every person and if they didn't have an armband, they should have been told to go and get one before they could be served regardless if they were 21 or 91 period. Believing someone is of age is not an acceptable excuse, hell I got carded at three local liquor stores and I'm 52. It is part of serving or selling alcohol. I was flattered that someone thought I might be underage trying to buy liquor, especially since my ugly old crippled butt sure doesn't look 21!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:14 pm

slider wrote:
If they, FHSU and the Volga-German Society have set it up that only people that have armbands are to be sold beer, then you better had adhered to those rules. Ignorance is no excuse, you should have checked each and every person and if they didn't have an armband, they should have been told to go and get one before they could be served regardless if they were 21 or 91 period. Believing someone is of age is not an acceptable excuse, hell I got carded at three local liquor stores and I'm 52. It is part of serving or selling alcohol. I was flattered that someone thought I might be underage trying to buy liquor, especially since my ugly old crippled butt sure doesn't look 21!

lol! slider preaching morals... lol!

Thanks for the laugh! It was a long weekend.
Back to top Go down
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
lilchefed

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Did the little old lady that announced the 5:30 cut off drink any beer out of that first keg that was tapped? Did she have a armband on? I know the mayor was part of the procedures and he didn't have an armband on (but I didn't see him drink though, as I wasn't paying attention). I'm sure there were Oktoberfest officials who had a beer and didn't have an armband on, but that is wrong for me to assume.

There are some rules that are just dumb, I'm not going to card a 91 year old person. I'm not saying I'm ignorant of the rules and looking for an excuse, just saying that I didn't follow it.

I wonder why the coors guys cut off at 5 then, they thought or was saying the cut off was 5.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:36 pm

slider wrote:
hell I got carded at three local liquor stores and I'm 52. It is part of serving or selling alcohol. I was flattered that someone thought I might be underage trying to buy liquor, especially since my ugly old crippled butt sure doesn't look 21![/i][/b]

I'd wager they were just messing with you. I havn't been carded anywhere since I was 27.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:09 am

I got carded at a convenience store in Ellsworth......dumb old b****
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
I got carded at a convenience store in Ellsworth......dumb old b****

I got carded at the Kansas Coliseum a few years ago, and I think I was the oldest person there (Oz was 24 at the time). They probably thought I was a UC.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:03 am

With the fines for the person selling it and the fines to the Owner as well, many Liquor Stores are asking for ID more and more. Same goes for selling Cigarettes as well.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 pm

I look at it this way the people who do the carding are just doing their job. They also get fined plus the place of business gets fined for selling to a minor. If I was in their position and someone like me would walk in and put a 6 pack of natty light on the counter sure I would card them.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 am

I look just a little over 21
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:21 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
slider wrote:

Not preaching Morality, if I was it would have been about that evil Planned Parenthood giving Birth Control to Underage Girls without Parental Consent! Octoberfest Question 58289

Just stating that nobody is above the law of the State and the rules of "Octo-beer-fest" down there.

The law requires you to check ID's for alcohol sales, and claiming "they looked 21" is at best simply ignorant and stupid for anyone serving alcohol period.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 pm

slider wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
slider wrote:

Not preaching Morality, if I was it would have been about that evil Planned Parenthood giving Birth Control to Underage Girls without Parental Consent! Octoberfest Question 58289

Just stating that nobody is above the law of the State and the rules of "Octo-beer-fest" down there.

The law requires you to check ID's for alcohol sales, and claiming "they looked 21" is at best simply ignorant and stupid for anyone serving alcohol period.

Come on, Nitro. How dare you imply that slider has morals.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Hell I didn't think morals existed in Ellis County.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Octoberfest Question   Octoberfest Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Octoberfest Question
Page 1 of 1