Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

HDN closing press in Hays?

Go down 
+16
nitromaxx98
nobodysbusiness
publisher
wilkykav2
steinem
Ratzilla
dz724
jessks75
lyric
The Other One
plowboy
Justoo
LukeTHr
Degeneration X
SlumberGirl
luv2cook
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

HDN closing press in Hays? Empty
PostSubject: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I keep hearing about this. Its been said that in the very near future the Hays Daily News will be printed in Salina. We will be getting our papers around an hour to an hour and a half later than usual. Anyone else heard this? I wonder why they are doing this. I mean how much money can they save by hauling them down here everyday, not to mention poutting the guys who run the press here out of work?
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Yes, this is what is going to happen. Sounds pretty strange to me too...
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:41 pm

Not only does this affect the Hays Daily but i know they also print other area papers around here too.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 am

I was told that by an insider there. They are printing it in Salina and they will be cutting about 25 jobs. Will have to remember that when they want to sell advertising...
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 6:20 am

They already charge more than the Wichita paper.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:13 am

I wonder if we will receive more up to the date local news when the paper is printed in Salina? How will this effect the online version of the paper?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:47 am

Salina won't do our reporting, only the printing. So local news will be no better. If the staff cuts go deeper than just the printing crew, then coverage might get worse. Hope not.
Shouldn't affect the online edition, but we will see.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 am

plowboy wrote:
up to the date local news

There's such a thing in Hays?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:25 am

Right here?
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

Hell you want to get local news just go down to the local doughnut shop and listen to all the old chermins talk. They always seem to have the local gossip going on.
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:51 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I was told that by an insider there. They are printing it in Salina and they will be cutting about 25 jobs. Will have to remember that when they want to sell advertising...

I'm sorry but your inside source, if there is one, doesn't know what he or she is talking about. Yes they will print in Salina but they only cut seven jobs, not twenty-five and my inside source is much better then yours. Don't give facts unless you know they are correct.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 3:07 pm

I will have to talk to my source the next time I run into them.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 pm

lyric wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:

I'm sorry but your inside source, if there is one, doesn't know what he or she is talking about. Yes they will print in Salina but they only cut seven jobs, not twenty-five and my inside source is much better then yours. Don't give facts unless you know they are correct.

Hmmmm, the person that told me about this works there and said it was only the 4 guys running the press that were losing their jobs. Seems all of us are are going to have to wait for an "official" announcement.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Until then....

HDN closing press in Hays? 08012009221741190
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Im loving all the "my source" "your source"!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 pm

The online version of the HDN is the same as the printed version except in PDF format.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm

Justoo wrote:
Until then....

HDN closing press in Hays? 08012009221741190

Laughing Aint that the truth!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:27 pm

lyric wrote:
LukeTHr wrote:
I was told that by an insider there.

my inside source is much better then yours.

Back to top Go down
steinem
Rookie
Rookie
steinem

Number of posts : 150

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:57 pm

The Other One wrote:
plowboy wrote:
up to the date local news

There's such a thing in Hays?

Touche' .... Now for that bottle of champaigne. A toast to Pat Lowry. Karma bites you in the butt buddy.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 am

My source will beat up your source!!!!!
Back to top Go down
lyric

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 am

I don't know if LukeTHr has a dog but if he does I'm SURE my dog is better then his. Doesn't every dog owner feel this way? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
publisher

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 am

One of the differences between blogs such as this and newspapers is that newspapers rely on official and authoritative sources for the information they present. All you have to do is ask. Kudos go to "lyric" for having better contacts. "LukeTHr" is off the mark. We will be laying off four full-time and three part-time employees when our printing operations are moved to Salina. It has nothing to do with my "karma." It's a business decision — pure and simple. And it was not made lightly; these are good people who will be incredible additions to the various companies they will be joining soon.
Delivery time will not be affected during the week, although it will come later on Sunday mornings in order to get in all of Saturday night's sports scores, etc. The Web site, which if "dz724" would actually look at, is much more robust in content than the printed version. The online version will not be affected in any way by this move.
For the official news release, check out Friday's paper.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the official info Publisher!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 pm

publisher wrote:
One of the differences between blogs such as this and newspapers is that newspapers rely on official and authoritative sources for the information they present.

And if newspapers quit misquoting those official and authoritative sources they'd be alot better than net boards. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Does this mean I won't get the "Extra" anymore? Sad
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
publisher wrote:
One of the differences between blogs such as this and newspapers is that newspapers rely on official and authoritative sources for the information they present.

And if newspapers quit misquoting those official and authoritative sources they'd be alot better than net boards. Very Happy

I was gonna point out to the publisher that this in fact is not a blog but message board but figured the irony would be lost on him.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

lyric wrote:
I don't know if LukeTHr has a dog but if he does I'm SURE my dog is better then his. Doesn't every dog owner feel this way? Very Happy

I have a dog that is danged smart... He is an escape artist extraordinaire... there are times he puts Houdini to shame
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 5:28 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Does this mean I won't get the "Extra" anymore? Sad

Back to Charmin.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 am

The HDN still sucks, I use it to wrap fish and train puppies.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:05 am

How could the cost of fuel for a roundtrip to Salina six days a week, the cost of upkeep for the truck(s), salary for a driver and whatever is charged to outsource the printing be less expensive? And if cap 'n' tax is passed, the price of the fuel will increase significantly.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:13 am

luv2cook wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

I was gonna point out to the publisher that this in fact is not a blog but message board but figured the irony would be lost on him.

Wait.... Are you an official and authoritative source on the difference between a blog and a message board? Smile
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 am

The Other One wrote:
How could the cost of fuel for a roundtrip to Salina six days a week, the cost of upkeep for the truck(s), salary for a driver and whatever is charged to outsource the printing be less expensive? And if cap 'n' tax is passed, the price of the fuel will increase significantly.

I imagine the HDN would be delivered to Hays in the same trucks that deliver the SalJournal to Hays. There would be no 6 day a week, round trip fuel expense incurred.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 8:25 am

suzyr wrote:
The Other One wrote:

I imagine the HDN would be delivered to Hays in the same trucks that deliver the SalJournal to Hays. There would be no 6 day a week, round trip fuel expense incurred.

But the Salina Urinal is a morning paper and the Hays Daily Snooze is an afternoon paper.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:09 am

publisher wrote:
The Web site, which if "dz724" would actually look at, is much more robust in content than the printed version.

Then why should we pay for a subscription? Might save a couple trees in the process.

publisher wrote:
The online version will not be affected in any way by this move.

Duh, really?

publisher wrote:
lol!
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

The Other One wrote:
suzyr wrote:
The Other One wrote:

But the Salina Urinal is a morning paper and the Hays Daily Snooze is an afternoon paper.

I forgot about that. I wonder how much it costs to operate the printing press, including electricity, paper and ink... then add in manpower. Surely, they've crunched the numbers to determine the financial benefit of moving publication to a location 100 miles away. I'd think fuel expenses alone would eat up whatever they save in not operating the press. I don't see how it makes sense, but that's just me.

BTW... what will they do if the SalJournal presses go down?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:35 pm

publisher wrote:
these are good people who will be incredible additions to the various companies they will be joining soon.

Translated: "Maybe this will help convince someone to hire them and keep my unemployment insurance premium down."
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:21 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
luv2cook wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Wait.... Are you an official and authoritative source on the difference between a blog and a message board? Smile

Why yes, yes I am. Razz

suzyr wrote:
The Other One wrote:

True enough, also the Salina Journal is a much better paper, maybe I should just switch to that. Hmmmmm Smile
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 pm

luv2cook wrote:
suzyr wrote:
The Other One wrote:

True enough, also the Salina Journal is a much better paper, maybe I should just switch to that. Hmmmmm Smile

The Other One wrote:
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes dear, I read your post. I chose not to comment on it. I lived in Salina for 6 years and I found their paper MUCH better than the Hays Daily News, no matter what time it was delivered.

Last edited by luv2cook on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 9:08 am

luv2cook wrote:
Yes dear, I read your post. I chose not to comment on it. I lived in Salina for 6 years and I found their paper more MUCH better than the Hays Daily News, no matter what time it was delivered.

Yeah, right. Whatever.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 10:13 am

Laughing Laughing

Sorry to burst your bubble. LOL! But thank you for quoting me. It allowed me to see the really bad grammar used in that sentence so I could go back and fix it.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:22 pm

It looks more much better since you fixed it L2C. Smile
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 4:24 pm

LMAO!!!!! you smartass
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 9:58 pm

How come no online version of the HDN Sunday edition?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 pm

plowboy wrote:
How come no online version of the HDN Sunday edition?

publisher wrote:
The online version will not be affected in any way by this move.

HDN closing press in Hays? 645905
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 10:42 pm

there was a police log and I think 4 stories-woop-de-doo!!!too bad you can't wipe your ass with the online version lol!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:
there was a police log and I think 4 stories-woop-de-doo!!!too bad you can't wipe your ass with the online version lol!

Maybe they got started updating the website and got laid off.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 11:40 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:
there was a police log

wilkykav2 wrote:
can't wipe your ass with the online version

lol! cheers
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:21 am

publisher wrote:
One of the differences between blogs such as this and newspapers is that newspapers rely on official and authoritative sources for the information they present. All you have to do is ask. Kudos go to "lyric" for having better contacts. "LukeTHr" is off the mark. We will be laying off four full-time and three part-time employees when our printing operations are moved to Salina. It has nothing to do with my "karma." It's a business decision — pure and simple. And it was not made lightly; these are good people who will be incredible additions to the various companies they will be joining soon.
Delivery time will not be affected during the week, although it will come later on Sunday mornings in order to get in all of Saturday night's sports scores, etc. The Web site, which if "dz724" would actually look at, is much more robust in content than the printed version. The online version will not be affected in any way by this move.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 6:22 am

Yeah, much more robust.. Mmmmmm hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HDN closing press in Hays?   HDN closing press in Hays? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HDN closing press in Hays?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next