Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Busy day for Emergency Services

Go down 
+9
The Other One
plowboy
luv2cook
SlumberGirl
LukeTHr
bg0308
Ratzilla
Blackie Kuhn
CelticDragon
13 posters
AuthorMessage
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Busy day for Emergency Services Empty
PostSubject: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 11:19 am

I've had the windows open all morning and I'm hearing sirens every 15 minutes or so.... wow. Busy day!
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 pm

I haven't heard a thing. Where do you live? The south side of Chicago?
Back to top Go down
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 2:27 pm

North side of Hays. Between 8 and 10:30 I heard sirens almost constantly.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Not really that busy today. And don't forget, in Hays you might see 4 or 5 cop cars and every truck in the firehouse end up at a bag of burnt popcorn even if they know that's all it is. Nobody ever seems to call and say "Hey guys, no more help needed here". Seems to be an urge for massive overkill in that town.
Back to top Go down
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Not really that busy today. And don't forget, in Hays you might see 4 or 5 cop cars and every truck in the firehouse end up at a bag of burnt popcorn even if they know that's all it is. Nobody ever seems to call and say "Hey guys, no more help needed here". Seems to be an urge for massive overkill in that town.

A lot of times they do call in and tell them that no further assistance is needed or to downgrade from lights & sirens, but many times they don't and still respond.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:05 pm

A message to downgrade or disregard will happen when there's an EMS assist, but not often on a fire unless it's a County fire. Lately HFD tends to keep rolling units as long as someone is on scene.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:30 pm

today sounds like all kinds of stuff is happening with wrecks and fires
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:39 pm

There was an accident on Vine Street over the noon hour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Accidents have been about average. County Fire had a structure fire this AM.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:59 pm

yeah I heard the page and saw the trucks head out
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Concrete office/storage building. Fire was confined to the front office area.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Tonites HDN....strange odor in the area...2trucks respond...nothing found..isn't his a little overkill...a circle jerk would be more productive...i swear!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 1:34 am

Hays tends to have a strange odor in the air on many summer days.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:27 am

Once again 2 young lives lost by driving around out in the country. I wonder when these kids will learn its not safe.
Back to top Go down
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 am

I heard about that... It's too bad. A lot of kids will pass away from driving in the country. Most think they know how to drive on country roads but once they get friends in the vehicle they tend to start showing off and that's when people die.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 am

Both were juniors at Hays High, anyone hear how the third person is doing ?
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I heard the 3rd person was life-watched to Wichita, not sure how accurate that is.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:24 pm

luv2cook wrote:
I heard the 3rd person was life-watched to Wichita, not sure how accurate that is.

Facebook group..."In Loving Memory of Jordyn Katherine Claiborn"

Facebook group..."RIP Cody Younger"

You'll probably get more accurate and timely information from the kids on Facebook than you will from the HDN or the Wichita TV stations.

My daughter and Jordyn were good friends. She is devastated.

Those of you who believe in a higher power, please say a prayer for Rick, Mary and their other two kids. Those of you who don't believe in a higher power, please at least have a good thought for them.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:28 pm

That was actually how I found out about this, this morning. My daughter logged into her FB account and it was all over the place. And that rumor about the driver being Life-watched was just that, a rumor. They are in the Hays hospital. Say a prayer for ALL the families involved in this tragedy.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 6:19 pm

What a sad day for the Hays community!!! My heart goes out to the families!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Please also say a prayer for the Neal & Carolyn Younger family who lost a son.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:53 am

plowboy wrote:
Please also say a prayer for the Neal & Carolyn Younger family who lost a son.

Absolutely.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:17 am

If the vehicle was the one I was told, it was pretty high powered and had a lift kit, giving it a high center of gravity. Not a good combination. My son wanted to buy it but after test driving it, I refused to let him get it
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 5:38 am

I was told the girl killed was someone one of my nephews was dating. Sounds like another wreck South of Hays Saturday night may have involved kids again, but at least no fatalities.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:57 pm

At the present time there are like 30 thousand rumors floating around: if anyone was drinking, why they were clear the hell out there, etc etc. I think really no one knows for sure WHAT went down with the exception of the sole survivor and I feel for everyone who was involved in this and so thankful that my own child wasnt.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 3:39 pm

One of my nephews told his parents they weren't drinking two hours earlier when he last saw them. After that he has no idea. As far as why they were out there goes, driving randomly through the country was common when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
One of my nephews told his parents they weren't drinking two hours earlier when he last saw them. After that he has no idea. As far as why they were out there goes, driving randomly through the country was common when I was a kid.

What I have been told is that they were taking one of the boys home. And yes, they were in the top-heavy truck that people are talking about.
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:05 pm

HAYS — A 10-year-old Hays boy is in serious condition at a Wichita hospital following a two-vehicle crash south of Hays on Saturday night.

According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, the wreck happened at 9 p.m. Saturday, on U.S. Highway 183 about 2.5 miles south of Hays. The KHP said a 2003 Mercury Sable driven by Danny Higgins, 22, of Hays, turned south onto U.S. 183 from Butterfield Trail, in front of a 2003 Chevy pickup driven by Tonija Pohlman, 43, of Hays.

The pickup then struck the Sable in the rear. Colton Adams, 10, of Hays, was taken to Hays Medical Center, and later transferred to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, where he was in serious condition Sunday afternoon.

Pohlman also was injured and taken to Hays Medical Center; her condition was not available Sunday.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:12 pm

The Other One wrote:

What I have been told is that they were taking one of the boys home. .

I know where all three of the occupants live(d) and none of them live(d) remotely close to where that accident happened. Two live(d) in Hays and the other lived in Munjor. Most likely they were doing what the kids call "country cruisin". Really is pointless to speculate unless someone here has spoken with the survivor directly.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:27 am

is colton adams doodlevw's son???
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 am

Just checked out her myspace and Im 95% sure it is Doodlevw's son. Keep him in your prayers also.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 6:00 pm

yes you are right NB!!!!
They took him off the respirator today is what Ive heard!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:38 pm

anyone know the extent of his injuries?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:18 am

Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 am

Obituary from HDN - very well written

I didn't see an obituary for Cody. Perhaps because the HDN charges to put them in the paper anymore?
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 am

do they charge?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:44 am

nobodysbusiness wrote:
do they charge?

Don't know, but I've been told as much. But a lot of things heard in Hays turn out to be inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
CountryGirl

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 am

The Other One wrote:

I didn't see an obituary for Cody. Perhaps because the HDN charges to put them in the paper anymore?

Cody's obituary was in Sunday's paper also
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am

CountryGirl wrote:
The Other One wrote:

Cody's obituary was in Sunday's paper also

They must have omitted it from the online edition, then.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Cody's was on A6 on Sunday. Jordyn's on A7. I don't know that they charge for all obituaries. I have seen some that say "paid obituary" so I assumed you could upgrade to a better/ bigger obituary. They do charge for the family album things now (birth, wedding, anniversary announcements). Regardless- I know that no matter how bad my day was today (and it wasn't fun)- these families had a worse one. I've thought of them often in the past 4 days.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

jessks75 wrote:
yes you are right NB!!!!
They took him off the respirator today is what Ive heard!!!

Donation account established for boy injured in accident
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Busy day for Emergency Services   Busy day for Emergency Services Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Busy day for Emergency Services
Page 1 of 1