Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?

Go down 
+7
Ratzilla
Degeneration X
luv2cook
firemanswife
nobodysbusiness
suzyj
CelticDragon
11 posters
AuthorMessage
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Empty
PostSubject: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am

Since my child is at a peanut and tree nut free school, I must come up with classroom snacks that are the same. They even recommend that you don't get anything that says on the package that it may be processed at a place with those ingredients. This eliminates a LOT of things that you don't think of being on the list, like chocolate chips. I really don't want to go the sugary sweet way and make brownies or cake, but I do want something the kids will eat well(which probably lets out veggie platters) and be moderately healthy. I've thought of a trail mix type thing with different kinds of cereal, raisins and craisins; but after that I'm a little stumped. It has to be something that would keep well until snack time, so cutting up apples wouldn't work unless I were to buy the individual bags from McDonalds, and that gets a little pricey for an entire class. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am

Rice crispy treats, little boxes of raisins, bag of big pretzel sticks (should be enough in a bag for a whole class), animal crackers... that's all I can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:38 am

yogos rollers, pre packaged 100% fruit snacks
Back to top Go down
firemanswife
Rookie
Rookie
firemanswife

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm trying to think of something to add here, lol

Frozen Grapes..........(my kids love those things)

I make a kids mix for the kids which includes, 3 different types of ceral, raisins, and either m&ms or gummie bears. They love it.
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Grapes pose a choking hazard for young children. Blueberry bagels are a great snack for kids, as is chex mix.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

How about some hash brownies. Not only will the children like them but they will be totally relaxed after the brownie experience.
Back to top Go down
firemanswife
Rookie
Rookie
firemanswife

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm

luv2cook wrote:
Grapes pose a choking hazard for young children. Blueberry bagels are a great snack for kids, as is chex mix.

I know this!! They can be cut into half or into quarters!!!
Back to top Go down
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:27 pm

luv2cook wrote:

On the Chex mix, it's okay as long as you make it yourself. If you buy it, it says on the package that even the stuff without nuts is produced at a factory on equipment that may come in contact with nuts. I actually had a HUGE bag of it left over from a reception and that's one of the first things I grabbed to see if it would work.
Back to top Go down
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 pm

firemanswife wrote:
I'm trying to think of something to add here, lol

Frozen Grapes..........(my kids love those things)

I make a kids mix for the kids which includes, 3 different types of ceral, raisins, and either m&ms or gummie bears. They love it.

Yeah, I was going to use M&Ms too, but they have the warning about being produced on equipment that may come into contact with nuts!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Degeneration X wrote:
How about some hash brownies. Not only will the children like them but they will be totally relaxed after the brownie experience.

I was thinking jello shots.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:08 pm

CelticDragon wrote:
Yeah, I was going to use M&Ms too, but they have the warning about being produced on equipment that may come into contact with nuts!

Could be. Jeffrey Dahmer worked in a candy factory.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Zitter on a cracker,maybe a little cheese on the side is a good healthy snack.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 pm

calf fries...
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
calf fries...
LOL!!! lol! Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? 629896 lol! lol! lol! Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? 629896 afro afro afro afro geek jocolor santa cyclops tongue Evil or Very Mad Neutral Neutral Shocked Smile Crying or Very sad Sleep
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Degeneration X wrote:
How about the kid(s) who have a peanut allergy just not have a snack, thereby not garroting the rest of the class into their restrictions? That, or bring a special snack for the kid(s) with the allergy.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 2:02 pm

SciFi wrote:
Degeneration X wrote:
How about the kid(s) who have a peanut allergy just not have a snack, thereby not garroting the rest of the class into their restrictions? That, or bring a special snack for the kid(s) with the allergy.

That wouldn't work because some kids' sensitivity is so severe that even being in the same room, could trigger an allergic reaction. I agree, though... it does suck for the others.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 3:18 pm

suzyr wrote:
SciFi wrote:
Degeneration X wrote:

That wouldn't work because some kids' sensitivity is so severe that even being in the same room, could trigger an allergic reaction. I agree, though... it does suck for the others.
Well, I didn't know that the allergy could be that sensitive, but it makes sense. I guess it isn't too much to ask. Snacktime is a privilege, not a right. They don't have to have them. Admittedly, I sure do like snacks. When I was in grade school we always had "milk time." When it was my turn, I'd go down to the basement (two of us maybe) of Lincoln School and load up a cart of milk for the class. No other snacks. I miss Mr. Knoll. He was a good man.
Back to top Go down
CelticDragon
Rookie
Rookie
CelticDragon

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 3:39 pm

They have kids who if they happen to touch a spot on a surface where a nut has been will go into shock. Nut allergies can be really really nasty.

I think they've found that kids concentrate and learn better on a full tummy, hence the need for snacks. We never got them when I was in school, either.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 3:06 am

When I was in school there were 5 things that made paying attention difficult. A growling stomach, being sick, having to pee, cute girls, and worst of all was going too long without a cigarette. But of course if the subject of study sucked nothing would help.

When my niece was in sports she liked beef jerky. It didn't weigh her down, yet it satisfied. For small kids graham crackers and pudding cups are good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?   Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Healthy, peanut and tree nut free snacks?
Page 1 of 1