Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()

Go down 
+2
slickjay12
wilkykav2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Empty
PostSubject: Just for the hell of it(and I''m homesick again-it''s humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 10:52 pm

You know your from Arizona when...
1. You buy salsa by the gallon.
2. Your Christmas decorations include a half a yard of sand and l00 paper bags.
3. You think a red light is merely a suggestion.
4. All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after October but clear out come the end of April.
5. You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever.
6. Most of the restaurants in town have the first name "El" or "Los".
7. You think 60 tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.
8. You've signed so many petitions to recall governors that you can't remember the name of the incumbent.
9. You notice your car overheating before you drive it.
10. Your house is made of stucco and has a red clay tile roof.
11. You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing or being funny.
12. You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.
13. You see more irrigation water on the street than there is in the Salt River.
14. You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.
15. You can say 115 degrees without fainting.
16. Every other vehicle is a 4x4.
17. You can be in the snow, then drive for an hour and it will be over l00 degrees.
18. Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.
19. People break out coats when temperature drops below 70 degrees.
20. You discover, in July, it only takes two fingers to drive your car.
21. The pool can be warmer than you are.
22. You can make sun tea instantly.
23. You run your air conditioner in the middle of winter so you can use your fireplace.
24. Most homes have more firearms than people.
25. Kids will ask, "What's a mosquito?"
26. People who have black cars or black upholstery in their car are
automatically assumed to be from out-of-state or nuts.
27. You notice the best parking place is determined by shade not by distance.
28. The AC is on your list of best friends.
29. Monday Night Football starts at 7:00 instead of 6:00.
30. You realize that Valley Fever isn't a disco dance.
31. You can finish a Big Gulp in 10 minutes and go back for seconds.
32. The water from the cold water tap is the same temperature as the hot one.
33. You can (correctly) pronounce the words: "Saguaro," >"Ocotillo,""Tempe,""Gila Bend," "San Xavier," "Canyon de Chelly," "Mogollon Rim," "Cholla,"and "Ajo."
34. It's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is walking on the streets.
35. You experience third degree burns if you touch any metal part of your car.
36. You know better than to get into a car with leather seats if you're wearing shorts.
37. Announcements for Fourth of July events never end with "in case of rain......"
38. When someone asks how far you live from a location, it's always in terms of minutes, not miles.
39. Everyone's smiling and talking about the great weather on rainy days.
40. If you haven't worked for Motorola at some time, you must be a newcomer.
41. You have to explain to out-of-staters why there is no daylight savings time Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() 952780 Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() 952780 Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() 952780
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:13 pm

I am also sticky from coming in from outside. I would welcome some Arizona weather right now

also I can also correct pronounce all names in #33
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Hays is both the hottest and the coldest place I've ever lived. -20 wind chill in the winter and 115 degrees in the summer. Wichita weather is surprisingly mild and humid by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:52 pm

1000 or so foot lower in elevation and towards the gulf makes a huge difference between Hays and Wichita.

Some things about Arizona sound great, other things sound like a bad Ellis County drought year in July. I worked at Cross MFG back around 1980 and it hit 116 in Hays one day. I had evening shift 3:00 to 11:00. It was hotter in the building than a thermometer by the milling machines could measure and it went up to 132. I popped salt tabs like candy and guzzled water by the quart.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

Arizona Diary

May 15th: Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. Mountains and deserts blended together. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th: Really heating up. Got to 108 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car, work in an air-conditioned office. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 30th: Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th: The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's a dry heat. Getting used to it is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th: Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed two days of work; what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 25th: Dry heat, my butt. Hot is hot! The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the A/C repairman charged $250 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th: Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. $1,600 in damn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

August 4th: 115 degrees! Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $1,200 and gets the temperature down to about 90. I hate this freaking state.

August 8th: If another wise ass cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his freakin' throat out. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and no deodorant works well enough!

August 10th: The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and Sunny. It's been too hot to sleep for two damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this barren damn desert? $1,700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the freakin' pool. Even a cactus can't live in this heat.

August 14th: Welcome to Hell! Temperature got to 120 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the goddamn windshield out of the BMW. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,600 house payment to bail me out of jail.

August 30th: Worst day of the damn summer. I'm not leaving the house. The freaking monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell. The BMW is now floating somewhere in Mexico with its new $500 windshield. nobody told me about staying out of the washes during a "flash flood" warning. That does it. We're moving back to California and buying a house next to the freeway for some peace and quiet. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:02 am

Why #16? No snow, no rain?

Lol @ rest. But #16 I dont get.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:15 am

Probably to get outta town and go to the lakes or up north where it's cooler would be my guess Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:35 am

At least around here they build ROADS to all our lakes. There are also northbound roads out there.

Did you know....that most of the water that Colorado is supposed to let flow down the Arkansas River into Kansas gets diverted by pipeline and sold to AZ?
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:37 am

mikecc wrote:
Why #16? No snow, no rain?

Lol @ rest. But #16 I dont get.

Maybe for driving around in the mountains?

It's a beautiful place, but I'd never live there. During one visit, it was mentioned on the news that a baby learning to walk, tripped and fell onto the hot pavement, got 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:04 am

mikecc wrote:
At least around here they build ROADS to all our lakes. There are also northbound roads out there.

Did you know....that most of the water that Colorado is supposed to let flow down the Arkansas River into Kansas gets diverted by pipeline and sold to AZ?

Did you know Arizona has the most boats out of all the states??
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 11:29 am

Arizona: Where you don't need a BBQ grill just place your meat on the pavement
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:45 pm

Quote :
just place your meat on the pavement

In Kansas we call that "passed out"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 2:19 pm

In Kansas we call it lewd.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()   Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:() Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just for the hell of it(and I'm homesick again-it's humid:()
Page 1 of 1