Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?

Go down 
+5
luv2cook
slickjay12
Justoo
suzyj
wilkykav2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2008-03-26

is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Empty
PostSubject: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:08 am

Like through the county or gov't??
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Empty
PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:14 am

How much are they, out there?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:06 am

I just bought one at Dillons for 35 or 39 cant remember,but I don't like it(I cant figure it out) Very Happy thought maybe the city or county may have a cheaper one
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 am

They go for about $29.00 out here. The local news stations have been programming them for people, at different locations in the city. Maybe if you took it to the TV station there, someone could show you how to work it.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Quote :
Maybe if you took it to the TV station there, someone could show you how to work it.

lol
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Is there no one working there anymore? confused
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:41 pm

It is staffed, but nobody "works".

You might be able to get better help at Dillons or where ever you bought it.

Pardon my lack of faith in local media. Although I give them more credit than the paper.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:17 pm

what kind of problems are you having wilky
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Actually you should be able to let the machine self tune itself into the right frequency I think.
Back to top Go down
slider
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
slider

Number of posts : 1289
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 7:25 pm

You need to program it for what counties you want it to cover. I used to have one that I had set up to start the warnings if weather was within the nine county box surrounding Ellis County. Call the Ellis County Emergency Management Office, they can give you the frequency to recieve the warnings for the Ellis County area.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

162.400mHz I think is the right freq
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Well thats kind of a bummer. Ours here at the house just scanned itself in. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 pm

The actual frequency you will need is 162.450, it may be channel 3 or C depeding on the radio brand you get. Walmart has some Midland units for 29.00. Bought one for a friend on saturday. To program it for the counties you want, the following website has the info you need

NOAA S.A.M.E for Kansas
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 am

Not knocking weather radios, but if you really want current local info an 800Mhz capable scanner tuned to local PD, SO, and fire depts would give you every detail of what a storm is doing. You'd hear what the weather service says, and what spotters see as it happens without delays.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 am

LukeTHr wrote:
The actual frequency you will need is 162.450, it may be channel 3 or C depeding on the radio brand you get. Walmart has some Midland units for 29.00. Bought one for a friend on saturday. To program it for the counties you want, the following website has the info you need

NOAA S.A.M.E for Kansas
this may help.............it's a oregon scientific w/ same
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 am

I don't like it-I'm returning it.I had 2 cobra rechargeable walkie talkies but I cant find 'em-they had NOAA on them scratch i may look into po-po scanners Very Happy

where do I get them Radio shack??how much?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 am

I use a weather rock. It was free and very accurate. No programming needed.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:50 am

I think this one would do the trick for what you need. However, Ellis county has gone to a digital system so if they make any changes to their system and take it full digital, it may not work down the road. I currently have an older analog scanner and a digital scanner and they both work with the current ellis county system

scanner link
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 pm

200.00 my ass!!!!Wow,I had no idea,are there cheaper adequate ones?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:

not if you want to hear the 800mHz that all of ellis county works on
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm

wow,I had no idea Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 pm

It's out of stock at the moment, but this one is 800Mhz capable at $129.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3070525

Or you could just join one of the emergency services and get an 800Mhz radio for free.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:07 pm

wilkykav2 wrote:

you could maybe get one from ebay, but with electronics that can be a chancy proposition. If you do look on ebay, the Radio Shack model Pro-95 is a great scanner. I have one and it still gets all the county stuff i need it to for weather watchers
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 pm

Yeah, make sure the seller has a damn good approval rating and offers a guarantee on defective goods if you do ebay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?   is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather  radio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is there any places that you can get a cheap or discounted weather radio?
Page 1 of 1