Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Hace Kansas

Go down 
+9
firemanswife
BigCreek
LukeTHr
suzyj
Justoo
Samwitty
SlumberGirl
luv2cook
nobodysbusiness
13 posters
AuthorMessage
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:14 pm

At one time I had received an email that talked about "How to talk Hace, America"

I can't find it to save my life, and I want Buff to read it. Does anyone happen to have a copy of it?

(Hope you understand what Im talkin about, was kind of a joke email thingy...)
Back to top Go down
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
luv2cook

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Oh when you find it please post it here. Ive not seen that. Smile
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:17 pm

nobodysbusiness wrote:
At one time I had received an email that talked about "How to talk Hace, America"

I can't find it to save my life, and I want Buff to read it. Does anyone happen to have a copy of it?

(Hope you understand what Im talkin about, was kind of a joke email thingy...)

I was the one that always posted it on the new forum sites when they would return, I looked for hours this weekend and I still can't find it. I know it's in this house somewhere!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Samwitty
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Samwitty

Number of posts : 873

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I remember seeing that also. Will have to do some looking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biteme.com
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Its hilarious - I'm hopin justoo has it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm

I even searched the computer thinking surely I was smart enough to copy and paste instead of typing it out each time. lol apparently not.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 pm

Sorry, not here. Hace Kansas 128512
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Subject: Hace, Kansas, lingo

This was written by John Schlageck of Kansas Farm Bureau.

While most people in our state speak the same language, there's still a couple of counties in north-central Kansas where the King's English is spoken in a unique manner---heck let's call a spade a spade. It's a totally different language.

After spending four years at Fort Hay State University, listening to my Uncle Alex, who grew up on a farm northeast of Hays and visiting with farmers and ranchers who continue to live in and call this part of our state home, I've decided to write about their language---so rich and unique to Kansas.

And please don't think I'm making fun of these people who share this strong Volga German heritage. Just look at my last name. I'm one of them.

Sit back and read 'cause here's how the story gosse (goes). Whoa boyce (the fellas), I'm getting ahead of myself.

In case you haven't visited, Hace (Hays) is a small city in the north-central region of Kansas. A Cow'ndy (county) is a small district within a state and Hace is located in Ellis Cow'ndy. And Wine (Vine) is a major street in Hace.

Tounce (towns) are even smaller cities and there are several tounce in Ellis Cow'ndy. Muncher (Munjor), Chinchin (Schoenchen) and Cat'rin (Cathrine) are some of these small tounce. Chirman (German) has long been the unofficial language spoken in Hace. Grimpa, (your father's father) talks Chirman to the boyce.

My Uncle Alex was forever axding (inquiring) me, "How much money do you make?" He also axed me dis and dat (this and that) and do you have one of deese, two of dose and tree of dem (these, those and them)?

Farmers around Hace generally kept cattle in red barns built with bords. Borts are pieces of lumber like dem 2 X 4 borts. The livestock in the barns were usually couse (cows). You might even find a cult inside the barn. A cult is a young horse. These farmers sometimes feed their cult by trowing (to toss) them a bale of hay.

Hace farmers haul their livestock to market in a pigup (small truck). And dey put the livestock in de back-a-duh (back of the) pigup.

When these folks go to tounce for church on Sunday they drife (drive) their carse. These automobiles include the following types: Fort, Pony'ac and Olce.

Until a few years ago no one would be seen dead driving a leedle (little) forn (foreign) car made in Japan.

Every few years these farmers are blessed with rain and the roads become wet and slippery. That's when they opt to drife their Cheap. A Cheap is a 4wheel drife vehicle. Drife dat Cheap down dat @#$&**# wet wrote (road) right now and don't get him stuck.

Nearly all inanimate objects are referred to in the male pronoun.

When they finish Sunday worship services, and with color in their language like that, they certainly need religion--just kidding--some of the folks of Hace like to eat at one particular chigan (domestic fowl) house.

There they have frite (cooked in grease) chigan ant frice (and French fried potatoes). They also like to eat bret (bread) ant chelly (fruit preserves). I can still remember my Uncle Alex telling me at the dinner table when I was a boy of five, "Eat dis bret ant chelly sandwich what I figs'd (fixed) for you."

Sometimes after eating too much Sunday dinner, Hace residents had to take pilts (medication)--especially after too much beer. That's when they might have a het (part of the body above the neck) ache. Take dese pilts for dat het ache.

Sonofapitch' was an often spoken exclamation that tumbled liberally out of the mouths of members of the male sex in Hace. "Sonofapitch' its hot out here boyce."

Chunk (junk) is something almost everyone in Hace has at one time or another and it is better than trash. Haul dat chunk over by (to) da dump.

&*#%dam'mitahell (another exclamation). Wint (moving air currents) blowing heart (strong, powerful) can often be found in Hace.

Most residents keep their carse in a garot'ch (building). The word toged'her actually means just the opposite--apart.

&*#%tdam'mitahell dat wint blew so heart last night, my garot'ch all fell toged'her.

Now my all-time favorite story is about the veteran Hace farmer who tells about driving out to his pasture one morning to look at his couse. Here's how he told his friend about it: "I drove my pigup out in da grass. I drove down da hill by my windmill up da hill and over by da fence line, back down another hill, t'rough da creek and back up again. When I reached da top of da hill, dere de vere--GONE!

I'm out of here too.

Tanks for reading

In response to the piece written by a Farm Bureau rep about the Dutchy pronunciations of older residents around Hays (Hace, that is), Bob Parrish added the following: This guy forgot to mention Dotch and Plymit cars. Plymit had one model called a Furry.

-------------------
This latest edition left out a few elements which would only be recognizable to the original inhabitants, i.e. Vee gates? (what's happening?) Na ya ! (well of course!) Gella? (right?) and those which reference public local folks, " dose Weilert boyce got no weinel (floor covering) in dare store on Wine (Vine) street". The ditties approach local urban legends and morph as they go on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm

So has anyone ever heard this word? Boogstahooey. I am not sure if this would be the right spelling so I am just spelling like it sounds.... When I was a kid and my dad was heading out somewhere I would ask him where he was going to, he would reply "boogstahooey" Never did find out what that meant.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm

I've never heard that, but here are a couple of phrases we used to say, that I've not heard in any other town: Ah ver or ahm ver, meaning, "you're going to be in trouble when grown ups find out"... and fooey deifel (di'-ful), which meant, essentially, "awe crap", in our neighborhood, at least.
Back to top Go down
BigCreek

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Some of the greatest people I know speak in this manner. It truely is rich and unique. God bless the Volga Germans. Their hard work helped build Ellis County and make it the great place it is today
Back to top Go down
firemanswife
Rookie
Rookie
firemanswife

Number of posts : 176

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:01 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
So has anyone ever heard this word? Boogstahooey. I am not sure if this would be the right spelling so I am just spelling like it sounds.... When I was a kid and my dad was heading out somewhere I would ask him where he was going to, he would reply "boogstahooey" Never did find out what that meant.

I have a husband and a father in law that tell me that all the freaking time. lol
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:02 pm

yeah those were pretty well used around our families too suzy. another one was bazoof which mean "look out" hey dere buddy, you better bazoof.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 pm

My dad always called onery boys Schnickel Fritz. Never knew why. He used a few German words, but not the Hace speak.

True story.... An Ellis woman called the local Fire Chief and said " You gotta com ofer my grotch is on fire." He laughed out loud thinking she said her crotch was on fire, but soon realized maybe he misunderstood and asked her address. She said "You know, by da britch, now hurry for my grotch burns up." But the next problem was which "britch" she lived by.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks SuzyR for finding that! Too cool!

Ratzilla wrote:
My dad always called onery boys Schnickel Fritz.

This is actually pretty funny. My dad always called me Snicklefritz. Later it changed to Snicks. Last summer, me and the hubby went out to a friend's house and I was driving them both back to Ellis. The hubby said something about my childhood nickname and the friend said that it meant onery boy. I will have to ask my dad where he came up with that name! Smile
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 pm

schnickelfritz n Also s(ch)nicklefritz, snicke(l)tyfritz, snigglefritz [Perh < Ger dial Schnickel, Schniggel little boy ' s penis + the common name Fritz] Cf hanswurst A mischievous little boy; a scamp—usu used endearingly; by ext, a sweetheart.[1872 Galaxy 14.105, No name, unless matched by deeds, can be despotic in the arena of business. If there be force and courage behind it, Ichabod Snicklefritz—certainly not a title to melt the muses . . would be esteemed and honored of his kind.] 1905 DN 3.65 eNE, Snicklefritz, snigglefritz. . . About the same as skeezicks. 1916 DN 4.281 NE, Snicketyfritz, snickeltyfritz. = snigglefritz. . . [DN Ed: The latter also in Ill.] 1967 DARE (Qu. AA3, Nicknames or affectionate names for a sweetheart) Inf CA4, Schnickelfritz. 1973 DARE File swPA (as of 1920s), Snickle-fritz. . . Endearing epithet for a child. 1975 Studies in Honor of Kasten 30 swIL, Schnicklefritz, snicklefritz [< Schnickele + Fritz]: term of endearment to small male children ( " little guy " ). 1983 DARE File ceWI, Snicklefritz . . usually a little rascal. 2000 DARE File seWI (as of c1950), When we visited my Uncle Valentine on his farm, he often greeted my brother with, " Ah, there ' s the little Schnickelfritz! " This was said affectionately, but reflected also his opinion that my brother was something of a scamp who frequently " got into things " . Ibid ceWI (as of c1955), When I was growing up in Oshkosh, people used to call a little kid a schnickelfritz as an endearment. Ibid Detroit MI (as of c1950), My father ' s term for a small child was schnickelfritz; his parents were from the German community in St. Louis. 2000 DARE File—Internet MN [Winona Post], Rediscovering Schnickelfritz . . Schnickelfritz was the moniker adopted by Freddie Fisher, a musician originally from Iowa. . . [H]is band [was] a forerunner of the Spike Jones type of entertainers. . . Schnickelfritz . . signed a contract for a movie in the late 1930s.
Source: Dictionary of American Regional English, Harvard University Press
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:41 am

Chirmin word for virgin = gutentite.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 pm

german word for bra = schtopemfromfloppin
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 pm

german for yes = nasureyabetcha
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
german for yes = nasureyabetcha

another variation on that would be nasureyabetchaderebuddy
Back to top Go down
Samwitty
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Samwitty

Number of posts : 873

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:08 pm

German for Constipation = Farfrompoopen

FLUSH FLUSH, DEATH TO THE SCHEISSE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.biteme.com
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:26 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
Thats funny, I would always reply when my dad would say "boogstahooey" I don't want to go to Catherine (visit my grandpa).
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Justoo, thank you for posting the information on snicklefritz. That was too cool! I prefer to think that he was thinking of your quote of: "Endearing epithet for a child"Very Happy

I called the parents tonight...dad just giggled when mom asked him why he chose that name for me. Then she tells me that my brother's nickname was "woolyburger" and my sister's was "stuff stuff." I think I prefer mine. cheers
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Mine was "BOO', NB was "Tiny Mite"....

oops.... cheers
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:05 pm

LOL shaddup!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:13 pm

"Tookers"?
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:18 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Mine was "BOO', NB was "Tiny Mite"....

oops.... cheers

I love nicknames! My maternal grandmother was notorious for re-naming her grandchildren. The only one I can remember that took was my cousin named Belinda (didn't know that was her name until I was in my 20's) nicknamed Cricket. Smile

The kicker is when my daughter was pregnant with her first child, we could never say what the baby's chosen name was correctly. (Parents can sometimes do nothing right!) We went up to the hospital to see the new baby girl and my hubby says, "This is a Maggie." Everyone pretty much calls her that. So....when my daughter was pregnant again, I told her this one is Mazy, regardless of what her name is. You can't leave one child out of the nicknames once it starts.

That's like going to a baby shower without bringing the big sis or brother a present too! bounce
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:41 pm

bump, sorry suzy, you posted it, not justoo. I do have a different version that I will have to find though.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Yay! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 am

See, told ya she did it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hace Kansas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hace Kansas   Hace Kansas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hace Kansas
Page 1 of 1