Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years

Go down 
+4
wilkykav2
Ratzilla
LukeTHr
The Other One
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Empty
PostSubject: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Drug Gang Hangs Beheaded Man From Overpass

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico — A beheaded man was hung from an overpass Thursday, a gruesome display even for this northern border city long used to drug-related violence.

Shortly after the grisly sighting about 5 a.m., police found the victim's head in a black bag in a nearby plaza, said state police spokesman Alejandro Pariente.

Pariente said the body was wearing black jeans, a red T-shirt and white sneakers, and was handcuffed. A banner apparently directed at rival drug-gang members was hung next to the corpse.

The victim's father identified the 23-year-old man.

Elsewhere, masked men gunned down two police officers in a convenience store in Chihuahua City, the capital of Chihuahua state, where Juarez is located, said Eduardo Esparza, spokesman for the state attorney general's office. After the killing Wednesday evening, assailants left a toy pig next to the bodies. Two shoppers also were wounded.

On Tuesday, a man wearing a pig mask was found hung in a residence in Ciudad Juarez. Near the body was a message threatening to do the same to others. Police believe the message was from drug gangs.

Drug violence has been escalating across Mexico and cartels have turned to increasingly gruesome methods to send a message to their rivals and police. Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas, has registered one of the highest murder rates in the country, with more than 1,000 people killed so far this year.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,448508,00.html
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 pm

but we don't have any border problems...........

I think as soon as we get out of Iraq, we need to post our troops on our southern border with lotsa ammo and night vision and anything that moves up from the south, shoot it where it stands.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Garden City already looks like Juarez.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 10:38 pm

At least we'd have good AND real mexican food lol!
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 11:28 pm

we have too much mexican food the way it is now. Give me good old fashioned german cooking anyday.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:17 am

wilkykav2 wrote:
At least we'd have good AND real mexican food lol!

Is it real, or is it Tex-Mex?

Mexico wants the world to know what food is authentic
By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MEXICO CITY -- Worried by the global proliferation of deep fat-fried chimichangas, fajitas, margaritas and fried ice cream, the Mexican government is recruiting U.S. and Canadian restaurateurs to set the world straight on what is real Mexican food.

So proud is Mexico of its cuisine that the government has lobbied UNESCO to declare Mexican food a "cultural patrimony of humanity." The government also recently flew in 50 Mexican restaurant owners from the U.S. and Canada to teach them what's authentic and what's not.

"Mexican food gives prestige to the country, promotes its image," says Carlos Gonzalez, executive director of the government's Institute for Mexicans Living Abroad, which organized the forum for the chefs and restaurateurs. "What we want is for these restaurants to promote Mexican culture through their food."

Officials, however, have their work cut out for them. Mexican food often is misunderstood.

For example, the California-based Chevys restaurant chain, which has locations in 15 U.S. states, offers "Classic Fresh Mex Combos" such as chimichangas -- beef or chicken deep-fried in flour tortillas. The El Torito chain, also based in California, offers deep-fried ice cream on its "autentico" menu.

On a larger scale, Taco Bell's vision of Mexico is something entirely alien south of the border. When the fast-food chain tried to establish a presence in Mexico City in the 1990s, consumers were so perplexed by the "burritos" that a leading newspaper helpfully included a definition.

"A lot of so-called Mexican restaurants just decorate their walls with bright sombreros and hire a mariachi and think that makes them authentic," says Rosa Maria Barajas, owner of Rosa's Plane Food at the airport in Calexico, Calif. She has banned cheddar cheese from her restaurant.

"I only use authentic Mexican cheeses like Cotija or fresh, white cheese, but none of those weird cheeses," she says, adding that she strives to serve traditional Mexican food made with fresh ingredients, including homemade flour and corn tortillas and beans and rice made from scratch.

Barajas was among the 50 restaurant owners the government flew to Mexico City to hear culinary historians lecture on the importance of the nation's food and sample traditional dishes such as grasshoppers and prickly pear jam, all from Oaxaca state in southern Mexico.

Traditional Mexican cuisine dates back 3,000 years to the Mayans, who based their diet on corn, beans and vegetables. Most Americans confuse Tex-Mex specialties such as chili, chimichangas, nachos and hard-shell tacos, often laden in processed cheese and sour cream, with real Mexican food. The same goes for Cal-Mex fusions, such as the burrito, which combines fresh vegetables, fish and even fruit-based salsas with rice and beans in a flour tortilla.

Few Mexicans have ever even seen or heard of such foods.

"Without a doubt, these foods have helped people in the U.S. and around the world pay attention to Mexico," says Fernando Olea, president of the United States Association of Mexican Restaurants Association and owner of Bert's La Taqueria and Pachanga Cantina and Restaurant, a traditional Mexican restaurant in New Mexico. "But what we want to promote is Mex-Mex food."

The problem for Mexican restaurateurs is that the American fusions have become too popular to avoid all together.

"It is important to promote our culture and educate people about real Mexican food, but we also need to be flexible and understand that a lot of people in the United States have yet to develop a taste for our food," says Jeanette Avila, who owns the El Rancho restaurant in southwest Detroit.

To keep her customers happy, Avila keeps two menus: one Tex-Mex, which includes the always-popular fajitas and margaritas, and a traditional menu that offers a dish of breaded pork feet dressed in egg and topped with ranchera sauce.

"We sell both menus pretty evenly and that has a lot to do with non-Latinos being more open to try traditional Mexican food," Avila said.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:24 am

I figured around here traditional Mexican cuisine just means their food stamps covered it.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 7:54 am

Ratzilla wrote:
I figured around here traditional Mexican cuisine just means their food stamps covered it.

Yeah. I saw them at Dillon's recently. I work for my grocery money and buy my steaks from the bargain bin. The almost outdated stuff that is nearly half price.
They went to the glass case and asked the attendent for some real thick choice ribeyes.

They were in the checkout line ahead of me. Vision card.

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670 This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670 This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:00 am

I guess if you want the best cuts you have to get in the welfare line.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:22 am

Justoo wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Yeah. I saw them at Dillon's recently. I work for my grocery money and buy my steaks from the bargain bin. The almost outdated stuff that is nearly half price.
They went to the glass case and asked the attendent for some real thick choice ribeyes.

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670 This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670 This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670

That used to piss me off, when I was in grocery. You'd have people come through the line with a yellow onion (that was when they were about 10¢ each), pay for it, get change, and go to the next check out and do it all again, just to get beer or cig money. This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 929670

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years 365653
What was the topic of the thread, again? sorry....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Justoo wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

I've noticed alot of high dollar items in the carts of non-english speaking food assistance card holders. I buy the cheapest brands of everything I can. But that's because I pay for it with my own money and understand how hard getting it was. Funny thing is that all the cheap stuff I buy is the stuff with the most Spanish cooking directions on it.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:32 pm

I might have to correct one point here. I'm noticing when reading my can labels that the Great Value and Surefine brand Coffee and Chili do not have any spanish on the labels, but Progresso soup and Folgers coffee does. Hmmm, might have to study this further.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 4:33 am

Ratzilla wrote:
I might have to correct one point here. I'm noticing when reading my can labels that the Great Value and Surefine brand Coffee and Chili do not have any spanish on the labels, but Progresso soup and Folgers coffee does. Hmmm, might have to study this further.

It's called marketing. Generic brands don't care. They sell based on lower prices. Major brands try to build customer loyalty by making them feel comfortable with the product.

JuMex strawberry nectar is delicious.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 am

Kinda what I figured, but still trying to figure why some cheap stuff is just covered with Spanish instructions while some isn't. Maybe just the particular choice of different brands. The Kroger stuff I have is loaded with it. I guess I was just surprised that WalMart's brand didn't have both languages.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Heck, yesterday the Mex were dressing a deer in their back yard. I use to field dress them then take the deer to a meat processor. I just heard about this, I wonder if it had the tag on its heel?....Otherwise, get use to the change, they are here. We also have a connection with Paraguay? Thats what it says on that sculpture they moved from Gross Memorial up to the museum nest to the dome on I-70. rendeer
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years   This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This Could Be Garden City in a Few Years
Page 1 of 1