Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

9/11-7 years ago,where were you??

Go down 
+9
jessks75
dz724
nobodysbusiness
slickjay12
suzyj
The Other One
lisav
onecall
wilkykav2
13 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2008-03-26

9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Empty
PostSubject: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:21 am

Just curious and thought it would be interesting where you were and what you were doing.

I was sleeping at a friends house(in Phoenix) in a coma from partying for days on end and my friend Jamie came in and told me to turn on the TV I had to see this.I was still half asleep and wasn't sure what I was seeing for a minute.Then I was scared. affraid
Back to top Go down
onecall
Rookie
Rookie
onecall

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:29 am

at the health dept in Stockton for a kids check up- heard the nurses talking and saying "see- this is no accident" (at that time we only watched nick jr at my house and I had no idea) after we were done, went home and took over the tv. started crying. Hubby was in Nebraska on contract labor for Cargill. I called till I got him and told him to turn on the tv....he didnt get what was going on until they started closing highways all around where he was. (Bush flew into Omaha (?) that day for security) everything there was closed, including state parks, etc. He was working on a factory that was right next to a nuclear facility. He was ticked because he couldnt go hunting, I still to this day wonder if he understands the true impact this had. They didnt get their checks that week due to the fact that there were no planes flying. That was fun, calling everywhere and the bank to explain that I had mailed all these things out but that we were on hold because of what was going on. Everyone was really decent about it thank god. Friends started showing up at the house and we all just sat and watched.

( i love this kinda thing- the whole where were you when?)
Back to top Go down
lisav
Rookie
Rookie
lisav

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 am

I was on my sofa in the living, still in Las Vegas, my youngest was just about out the door for school, he sat down with me, we held hands and both cried. I will never, ever forget watching the second plane hitting the towers on live tv.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:48 am

I was taking my kids to school when the first report came on the 7am news that a "small plane" had crashed into the WTC. We lived in Russell at the time, but my kids were still attending Wilson. By the time I got back home, it was pretty clear what was going on.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:07 am

I was at the animal shelter in Salina, submitting my sister's paperwork, proving that the dog she adopted, she had neutered. KSAL was talking about the same "small plane" T.O.O. referred to. We all know how accurate that information was. When I got home, I had my husband turn the TV on just in time to see the second plane hit the south tower.

Of course, we were glued to the TV after that, just like the rest of the country.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 am

I was home sick and my mother called me after the 2nd plane hit. I got up turned on the TV and watchedthe replays of the events . I remember a Airbus crash that happened with in 3 months I think and automatically thinking the terrorist had struck again
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 am

Was at home - just getting up for the day - watched the 2nd plane hit. My son and I watched the coverage all day long, in disbelief.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I was at my college boyfriend's house, watched the whole thing with him all day.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:28 pm

I was taking my kids to school, seen some coverage on the school TV, didnt think anything about it. Then when I got to work they had the TV on there and I thought it was in a different country. Then I paid attention when my boss told me what was going on. I got my kids after school and went home and taped all that I seen. I knew this was going to be for the history books. I cried with family and friends. Everyones lives have been changed because of this!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 pm

As I watched McCain and Obama go the the World Trade site I was thinking along with the news reporters why after 7 years is there no memorial on this site? I know they have talked about building a Freedom Tower but what is the hold up. I say build the twin towers just like they were before.

Last edited by slickjay12 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 pm

I was working at a heavy equipment dealership in Colorado, installing a rebuilt front axle in a backhoe. Didn't realize just how big an event this was until later that day.
Back to top Go down
onecall
Rookie
Rookie
onecall

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 pm

anyone watching 102 minutes on the history channel?
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:52 pm

we just flipped over to it. Its creepy to watch it all again.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:31 pm

We also watched Nick Jr. in the mornings. After I dropped my son off at school, I came back home, flipped on the news and found saw it. That day at work was surreal. Nobody called. Few came in. Those who did sat with us for what seemed like days watching the coverage.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:51 pm

onecall wrote:
anyone watching 102 minutes on the history channel?
I just caught the end,wow.I'm gonna record it ,it's on again at midnight.I had goosebumps and wanted to cry Sad
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:37 pm

nitromaxx98 wrote:
That day at work was surreal. Nobody called. Few came in. Those who did sat with us for what seemed like days watching the coverage.

I had a 1pm appointment with my doctor at KU Med Center in Kansas City that day. It ended up being closer to 4:00 because all of the doctors and nurses were standing in the waiting room with the patients, watching the coverage.

When we left there, Oz wanted to go to Victoria's Secret. We went to Crown Center and it was closed at 5 in the afternoon. There wasn't much traffic, either.

While we were driving home, my son called me ans said that there were huge lines at teh gas stations in Hays and they were charging $7.00 a gallon. We had just filled in KC for just over a buck a gallon. Carla Stovall later corrected that price gouging incident.

The whole day was just strange.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 pm

The Other One wrote:

That it was.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 pm

The Other One wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
That day at work was surreal. Nobody called. Few came in. Those who did sat with us for what seemed like days watching the coverage.

I had a 1pm appointment with my doctor at KU Med Center in Kansas City that day. It ended up being closer to 4:00 because all of the doctors and nurses were standing in the waiting room with the patients, watching the coverage.

When we left there, Oz wanted to go to Victoria's Secret. We went to Crown Center and it was closed at 5 in the afternoon. There wasn't much traffic, either.

While we were driving home, my son called me ans said that there were huge lines at teh gas stations in Hays and they were charging $7.00 a gallon. We had just filled in KC for just over a buck a gallon. Carla Stovall later corrected that price gouging incident.

Ah the good ole' days of 1 dollar gas Sad
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 pm

A bunch of us sat in the lunchroom at work and watched it on the big screen. So sad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
letsallskate
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 134

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:07 pm

I was sitting at my computer when the news popped up. Not so exciting...
However, two days before hand I had been flying over the twin towers on my way home from a trip to new york.

ON that note:
In June of 2001, I was in New York for another vacation. My family visited the towers and spent some time at the top. As we were leaving my son decided to spend money at the gift store at the top of the world.Smile The lady who worked was very very patient with my 9 year old as he tried out every toy and every gizmo they had. He finally bought a red bouncy ball with the towers printed on it. When you bounce the ball it lights up. The lady was exceptional in how she helped my son. She said that she had been working in that gift shop for years (she was post retirement) as it gave her a chance to get out and see people.

Every year I stop and wonder about her. I hope she hadn't come to work yet.
I am looking at the ball right now, on my desk.
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:41 am

Aw, Skate, I remember your story from the old 67601 site, that is so sweet and scary at the same time.

There was a postcard quite a while back on postsecret.com that said something along the lines of..."Everyone that knew me before 9-11, does not know me now..." I really wonder about that person's other secrets. But I knew from that post, that person ran from their former life. 9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? 530931
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
onecall
Rookie
Rookie
onecall

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 7:19 pm

I am sooooooooooooooooo hooked on that site!!! if ever they are anywhere near here- I am so going!
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 8:19 pm

it is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9/11-7 years ago,where were you??   9/11-7 years ago,where were you?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9/11-7 years ago,where were you??
Page 1 of 1