Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Who says farming doesn't pay?

Go down 
+3
my2cents
jessks75
plowboy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Who says farming doesn't pay? Empty
PostSubject: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

Number of posts : 2007
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 8:02 pm

wow one farmer made 26,000.00 Thats such a high income, Im sure they dont know what to do with all that money.....I hope they give to charity!!!! Who says farming doesn't pay? 929670 Who says farming doesn't pay? 987844 Who says farming doesn't pay? 185511
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jessks75
my2cents
Rookie
Rookie
my2cents

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 8:24 pm

This list really doesn't tell the whole story, not by a long shot. I am a small time wanna be farmer that did not even make the list. I don't know if that is good or bad??? I sure would like to get the checks these guys are getting but I sure don't want the headaches they have. I know how much it costs, let me see if I can start a list that those who don't farm can maybe see why that list doesn't really mean much.

The more acres the farmer has the more you pay in fuel, the more you pay for repairs to your machinery (very high priced machinery), the sheds to store the machinery, and the upkeep on them. Then there is all the ground preparation before and after a harvest and don't forget the fertilizer. Diesel fuel is $4.50 a gallon or more. Let's not forget about the hail insurance (among other types of insurance for your crops). The insurance on these machines, the tags and taxes on the grain trucks and trailers, you also need to buy the grain to plant the crops (if you couldn't save any back the year before). That reminded me of something else, if you save your grain from the year before then you have to have grain bins to store it in. If you have the elevator store it for you then you have a storage fee. I am POSITIVE that I have not listed even half of the what is costs to farm.

The more acres the farmer has the more subsidies. I know several on this list from what I can see, those who are getting over $10,000.00 have over 1500 acres planted.

Although they have absolutely no control over her, Mother Nature is their enemy. There is a constant worry on whether is there too much rain, not enough rain, is there rust in the wheat or worms in the corn, (and then you have to spray for these pestilence). Is it going to hail and take everything away, is the wind too strong during a rain storm and will it knock down all the feed for the cattle or all the corn, wheat... Most of these subsidies come from farmers who have put a claim against their insurance companies.

You DEFINATELY have to have a love of the land and love to watch what you planted be harvested. But if you did not get this land handed down from father to son then there is really no way to make a living farming. I have a full time job so that I can farm what little I have. Many farmers do have a full-time job in conjunction with trying to farm.

So, in response to your question, no, I don't believe that farming pays. You just have to love doing it.

I think you should be more upset about the subsidies that these same farmers are getting to have wind turbines placed in their acreage, these subsidies are free and clear money for them. Many of the farmers on the "list" are the same ones getting (wanting) turbines on their land at the expense of others.

Last edited by my2cents on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sentence out of order.)
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Those are small ones. I've heard of some big corporate farmers who got hundreds of thousands. Sam Donaldson was running a big trash series on the news about farm subsidies years ago. He was trashing farmers whose total income was 50K or less, saying that it was government waste to give money to men making 50K a year. Then when it was exposed that Donaldson owned a huge ranch and had collected over 200K in subsidies, his attitude changed claiming he deserved it.

So A farmer who makes 50K a year doesn't deserve a couple thousand in subsidies, but Sam Donaldson who's a millionaire and big highly paid TV news anchor deserved 200K. Uhhh yeah.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
plowboy
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 pm

Who said I was upset my2cents? I was just pointing out a fact which is public record. I think it's about time the Kansas farmer gets what he deserves for which he has worked so hard for. I am all for the person who has an oil well on their land just as the persons who invest in oil production. I also applaud you , who at the age of 88 works full time and farms on the side, you must be blessed with excellent health.
Back to top Go down
my2cents
Rookie
Rookie
my2cents

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks, but I have alot of help from family. I didn't notice it before but I am not 88, I'm 68. Thanks for pointing that out, I will have to change it.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Farmers are without a doubt most the most unsung members of your community. I thank you.
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 pm

I think you should be more upset about the subsidies that these same farmers are getting to have wind turbines placed in their acreage, these subsidies are free and clear money for them. Many of the farmers on the "list" are the same ones getting (wanting) turbines on their land at the expense of others.

heck no................give them their wind turbines, that way it more than makes up for having to feed all of our hungry asses!!!! Who says farming doesn't pay? 58289
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:13 pm

jessks75 wrote:

heck no................give them their wind turbines, that way it more than makes up for having to feed all of our hungry asses!!!! Who says farming doesn't pay? 58289

Seems to me that nobody had a problem cashing their tax refund check, which was a subsidy for being a tax payer, or did those that oppose the wind farm send theirs back? If you did, I'm sorry for offending you..
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 pm

WORD
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 pm

WORD??

WORD??

After all this time, all I get is WORD???

After all the child support I paid,

After all those trips to spend time,

Just messin, luv ya jess!!! Who says farming doesn't pay? 952780
Back to top Go down
jessks75
All Star
All Star
jessks75

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 12:09 am

shoot..............thats all you ever really wanted *snapps fingers*
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 6:45 am

The very first jackpot winner in Powerball, which was then called Lotto America, was a farmer from Iowa. Dennis Miller was doing Weekend Update on SNL at the time. He reported that when asked if he planned to retire with the $11,000,000 he had just won, the guy replied, "No, I think I'll just keep farming until it's gone."
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 2:41 pm

I wish I could get money from the government when I have a bad year. All I keep getting is more tax bills.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 2:07 am

LukeTHr wrote:
I wish I could get money from the government when I have a bad year. All I keep getting is more tax bills.

There's probably government handouts all of us could get if we knew the loopholes, or were a big enough organized group to have politicians brown nosing us. Lots of businesses lose big on occasion. The farmers and other corporations just have enough pull to make politicians slip them goodies. Alot of politicians are farmers too so they're bound to get compensated faster than most of us that have little in common with the politicians.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who says farming doesn't pay?   Who says farming doesn't pay? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who says farming doesn't pay?
Page 1 of 1