Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Opinions, Please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:11 am

There is a Ted Nugent concert showing on HDNet right now. While I love Uncle Ted's music, it occurred to me that he is getting really old. 62, infact. That made me wonder why most of the classic rock 'n' roll acts that have been together forever are all-male or mostly male. The Rolling Stones, CSNY, Willie Nelson, Eric Clapton, Nugent, many more... hell, if you believe the commercials, even KC and the Sunshine Band are still together, although I would never in a million years classify them as rock 'n' roll. Is it because the guys never grow up? Perhaps they forsook any other education and this is all they know? Do they need the money to finance their drug habits? Are the female acts just that bad? Do the women stop performing when they get married and have kids? Thoughts? Theories?
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 am

Loretta Lynn still performs, so does dolly.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:45 am

zeke wrote:
Loretta Lynn still performs, so does dolly.

And they have had how many rock 'n' roll songs?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Women rockers are kinda like what former Colorado Congresswoman Pat Schroeder said was her reason that she was retiring. She said "Men age, women rot." A matter of perspective of course, but her comment explains your question in a round about manner.

A whole lot of male rock stars never were celebrated for their sex appeal, but rather their ability to play guitar or other talents. The typical female rock star is usually billed partly on sex appeal no matter how much she might not want to be. Not too many men want to pay to see 65 or 70 year old women shaking their stuff on stage. And the female rocker is very dependant on the teener girl fan base which also goes sour as they age. Male rock bands more often appeal to a wider age range in their audience.

As long as the male bands can play that's all that matters because alot of those guys were already butt ugly when they were young. And you gotta admit in Keith Richards case it's interesting to see a guy still playing that everyone thought would be dead 20 years ago.

Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Tina Turner is an exception.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:21 pm

I thought of Tina. She never did much for me, but she did hold herself together. Stevie Nicks stayed around a long time too without losing it. I'm sure we could think of some others too.

By the way EP, you're right. KC and the Sunshine Band are not a rock band. Maybe they are to 12 year old girls and men who like to dress like one, but not otherwise.

Oh and hey zeke, country gals don't matter if they're not too cute and gettin long in the tooth. Minnie Pearl proved that. For some reason looking and sounding like Granny Clampett is a plus in country. But I gotta wonder how close to the floor Dolly is nowdays without a bra. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opinions, Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opinions, Please   Opinions, Please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions, Please
Page 1 of 1