Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Felton next year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
doodlevw
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Number of posts : 54
Age : 41
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 am

Are there any parents out there that are thinking of sending their kid/kids to Felton next year? I have almost thought about it just so there isn't the shock of all the kids hitting the school at once. Kids going from Kennedy to Felton are in for a wake up call I think as far as kids and size. I hate that I have to think about my kid going to Felton at all, but life is life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1242
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:11 pm

doodlevw wrote:
I hate that I have to think about my kid going to Felton at all, but life is life.
What's wrong with Felton?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Three out of four of my kids went to Felten. My youngest daughter went to Felten, then to Hays High, and I guess she is education deprived. She just graduated with a 4.0 GPA and 34 ACT score. She was a Governor's Scholar, Board of Regents State Scholar, KU Scholar and National Honor Society member. She is enrolled on scholarship at a private university in the Northeast, where she will be majoring in Marine Biology.

But I'm sure she'd be done with college and have a PhD by now if she went to Kennedy and TMP.

The point is that the kid will get as much out of the school as he or she expects to get out of it. If you, as a parent, set a negative tone about Felten, then you can expect negative results.

In fact, I didn't see much difference in the quailty of education between Felten and Kennedy. If the class sizes are bigger, the kids will adjust. Kids adapt to change a lot better than adults do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 1936
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't see anywhere in doodle's post where it said anything about quality of education being better or worse at either school. I think the concern was about changing due to class size/building/teacher/location differences. Middle school is a very formative time and can be difficult for the kids to change in mid-stream. They already have friends/routines etc and now that all gets turned upside down on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I don't see anywhere in doodle's post where it said anything about quality of education being better or worse at either school. I think the concern was about changing due to class size/building/teacher/location differences. Middle school is a very formative time and can be difficult for the kids to change in mid-stream. They already have friends/routines etc and now that all gets turned upside down on them.

I wasn't challenging her on that point. With the quality of education being equal, it comes down to the individual student. And like I said, kids will adapt much better than adults would unless the parents put negative ideas in their heads about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 1936
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I am a bit bothered by the vote that was made to close Kennedy when you take into consideration all the public comments at the forum on Monday nite. Not one person spoke in favor of closing yet that is just what the board did all based only on what Roth wanted and not what the people of the community wanted. I think in the long run it will prove to be a bad mistake. Like Schwartz said at the vote, there has been no planning go into any of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
doodlevw
Newbie
Newbie
avatar

Number of posts : 54
Age : 41
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
I don't see anywhere in doodle's post where it said anything about quality of education being better or worse at either school. I think the concern was about changing due to class size/building/teacher/location differences. Middle school is a very formative time and can be difficult for the kids to change in mid-stream. They already have friends/routines etc and now that all gets turned upside down on them.

Thank you for understanding what I was saying. I am not saying there are better teachers at Kennedy or anything like that. They both have their good and bad points. My thing is size of the school. We have so many grade schools and what sense does it make to have only 1 middle school and 2 high schools?? My son is a very good student, honor roll etc, and will do just fine at Felton with classes and teachers. He has several friends that go there, but he isn't very outgoing (sad to say) That is going to be a huge change for him even though he will have friends. So my thinking was send him when maybe 25 or so kids might switch next year to ease the transition or wait until ALL of Kennedy goes over.

No matter what Kennedy will always be my favorite middle school in Hays for many reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 am

Changing schools can be a problem. I went to Lincoln my last year of grade school and it was uncomfortable as hell in the beginning. Kids do adjust, but it's not much different than adults once you get to that age. I adjusted to things very quickly when I was 5 or 6, but by the age of 11 or 12 you tend to think alot more about what's happening to you.

Kind of like my cats when they were kittens would go from one new experience to the next with curiosity, but by the time they are older they are thinking this isn't my territory, whose is it, and what dangers are there here. Kids from Kennedy will have to deal with more than just a longer walk to school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Changing schools can be a problem. I went to Lincoln my last year of grade school and it was uncomfortable as hell in the beginning. Kids do adjust, but it's not much different than adults once you get to that age. I adjusted to things very quickly when I was 5 or 6, but by the age of 11 or 12 you tend to think alot more about what's happening to you.

Kind of like my cats when they were kittens would go from one new experience to the next with curiosity, but by the time they are older they are thinking this isn't my territory, whose is it, and what dangers are there here. Kids from Kennedy will have to deal with more than just a longer walk to school.

Because of the line of work that my dad was in, we moved constantly. As a result, I went to four different high schools in four years. Maybe it was because at that age I could make a basket from the bench (too bad the ABA was the only place they had three-point shots back then), but I always felt comfortable and accepted right away. Guess it depends on the individual, but I do know that my parents' positive attitude and encouragement made it a whole lot easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:33 pm

School was always easiest for those interested in, and good in sports. Those of us who were just there because the government ordered us to go and had no socialist, er I mean social skills, found it more difficult to blend in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
School was always easiest for those interested in, and good in sports. Those of us who were just there because the government ordered us to go and had no socialist, er I mean social skills, found it more difficult to blend in.

We moved from Maine to Missouri between my sophomore and junior years. My only complaint in school was that the level of progress was a lot different. In math and history classes especially, they were teaching juniors the things that I had learned as a freshman in Maine. It sometimes led to boredom, but it helped with the chicks when a guy could help them with their homework instead of vice-versa. And you're probably right about the sports, especially with the females. I doubt I would have been dating a cheerleader who was also the principal's daughter if I wasn't the captain of the basketball team.

I think the hillbillies found the downeast accent fascinating, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Okay, so back to the topic at hand. I looked up some cities in Kansas with similar size high schools to see if any of those had two public middle schools. Here are the results:

Great Bend - 702 HS students - 1 middle school
Pittsburg - 548 HS students - 1 middle school
McPherson - 567 HS students - 1 middle school
Arkansas City - 561 HS students - 1 middle school
Valley Center - 557 HS students - 1 middle school
Hays - 599 HS students - 2 middle schools
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 am

The Other One wrote:
Okay, so back to the topic at hand. I looked up some cities in Kansas with similar size high schools to see if any of those had two public middle schools. Here are the results:

Great Bend - 702 HS students - 1 middle school
Pittsburg - 548 HS students - 1 middle school
McPherson - 567 HS students - 1 middle school
Arkansas City - 561 HS students - 1 middle school
Valley Center - 557 HS students - 1 middle school
Hays - 599 HS students - 2 middle schools

But you have to take into account that Hays has 2 high schools, let's say another 250 kids at TMP, less freshman (not in the above numbers) and borders, so about another 140 more kids needs to be added to your number...that puts at 740 and the top of that list. So I wonder what the magical line is where there should be 2 middle schools?

How many elementary schools do these other towns have? Hays has 6 elementary schools now funneling into 1 middle school. Looking at the 2010-2011 enrollments (that I got from HRC for something completely different), there will be about 200 5th graders, broken down as follows:

Roosevelt = 60 5th grade kids
Lincoln = 22
O'Loughlen = 48
Washington = 18
Wilson = 52
Holy Family doesn't count as they have 6th grade.

So you are going to take a kid who is used to at most 60 other kids in their grade and multiplying it by almost 4.

Also interesting point, is that Felten is listed at 440 enrollment and Kennedy at 250, so almost 700 kids in one middle school. I wonder what the enrollment is in those 1 middle school towns above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 am

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Okay, so back to the topic at hand. I looked up some cities in Kansas with similar size high schools to see if any of those had two public middle schools. Here are the results:

Great Bend - 702 HS students - 1 middle school
Pittsburg - 548 HS students - 1 middle school
McPherson - 567 HS students - 1 middle school
Arkansas City - 561 HS students - 1 middle school
Valley Center - 557 HS students - 1 middle school
Hays - 599 HS students - 2 middle schools

But you have to take into account that Hays has 2 high schools, let's say another 250 kids at TMP, less freshman (not in the above numbers) and borders, so about another 140 more kids needs to be added to your number...that puts at 740 and the top of that list. So I wonder what the magical line is where there should be 2 middle schools?

How many elementary schools do these other towns have? Hays has 6 elementary schools now funneling into 1 middle school. Looking at the 2010-2011 enrollments (that I got from HRC for something completely different), there will be about 200 5th graders, broken down as follows:

Roosevelt = 60 5th grade kids
Lincoln = 22
O'Loughlen = 48
Washington = 18
Wilson = 52
Holy Family doesn't count as they have 6th grade.

So you are going to take a kid who is used to at most 60 other kids in their grade and multiplying it by almost 4.

Also interesting point, is that Felten is listed at 440 enrollment and Kennedy at 250, so almost 700 kids in one middle school. I wonder what the enrollment is in those 1 middle school towns above.

At least three others on the list also feed two high schools, one of which is religious affiliated: Pittsburg has Colgan High, McPherson has Elyria Christian and Ark City has Arkansas City Christian Academy.

You also have to remember the reason for this move: money. The school district is paying the Catholic church damn near $300,000 per year in rent for the Kennedy building. Perhaps if the Catholic parents want to keep their little darlings insulated from the reprobates at Felten they should just have a Catholic middle school and pay for it themselves. They already have a building. All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer


Number of posts : 919
Location : Shawnee, KS
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Hd news article

Seems as though the catholic schools are working on a 7-8 grade program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

The Other One wrote:
All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

At least TMP has the nutz to have the drug dogs come out to their school...Hays High is too scared to find out what everyone else already knows. I've heard Officer Brian Dawson, the former resource officer at Hays High, talk about the drugs in Hays and how they are definitely in the High School. Plus I have a recent relative graduate there and he saw "stuff" going around there also. I applaud TMP for acting swiftly once the student teacher was identified, they didn't try to hide or sweep anything under the rug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

The Other One wrote:
At least three others on the list also feed two high schools, one of which is religious affiliated: Pittsburg has Colgan High, McPherson has Elyria Christian and Ark City has Arkansas City Christian Academy.

Per the KSHSAA classifications, for grades 10th thru 12th:

TMP = 187
Colgan = 107
Elyria = 44
Arkansas City Christian = not listed

So Hays and TMP combined are still larger than all those other towns that were listed (but to be fair, TMP does need to be adjusted for borders, I'd say 25% but don't know the exact %).

Hays High & TMP = 739 (599 + 187 - 47)
Great Bend = 702
Pittsburg & Colgan = 655 (548 + 107)
McPherson & Elyria = 611 (567 + 44)
Arkansas City & ACCA = 561 (561+?)
Valley Center = 557

My point, I don't know if you can compare a town with almost 100 or more less students, so I'd definitely cross off Valley Center, Arkansas City, McPherson, and probably Pittsburgh from your argument that they are similar size and with only 1 middle school.

Newton might be the only one that I can find to compare and it looks like they have 3 middle schools, but might not really work with how close they are to Wichita area. They also have Newton Christian High School, but it looks to have a pretty small number of students, but can't verify and got tired of looking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:08 pm

The Other One wrote:


You also have to remember the reason for this move: money. The school district is paying the Catholic church damn near $300,000 per year in rent for the Kennedy building. Perhaps if the Catholic parents want to keep their little darlings insulated from the reprobates at Felten they should just have a Catholic middle school and pay for it themselves. They already have a building. All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

You know what? I am really AMAZED that your child managed to graduate with all the accolades you posted above when he/she has such a narrow minded bigoted parent. Heres a news flash for you dumbass, its not just the Catholic parents that have the issue, there were many parents at that meeting that aren't Catholic, they were there because they are sick of being railroaded by the school board and they want/need to have smaller class sizes for their children's special needs.

Secondly could you we please stop beating the dead horse about the teacher that sold weed at TMP, fact of the matter is BOTH SCHOOL have drugs in them, BOTH OF THEM! Accept it and DEAL with it. Im tired of people acting like TMP is some crappy private school that doesnt have any programs that rival or heaven forbid are better than Hays High when its DEFINITELY not the case.

Want proof, go pull out the newspapers that listed the scholarships offered for Hays High and TMP's graduating classes this year. By far and away there were more scholarships offered to schools OTHER than FHSU to the TMP kids. I wonder why that is if TMP is such a shit school huh? Not to mention, their grading scale is a hell of alot tougher than Hays Highs. Nor do they have a bazillion electives offered.

For the record, my daughter goes to Hays High because its a better fit for her and thats what I based my choice on, not some bunch of anit-TMP crapola so many people like to float around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:08 pm

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

At least TMP has the nutz to have the drug dogs come out to their school...Hays High is too scared to find out what everyone else already knows. I've heard Officer Brian Dawson, the former resource officer at Hays High, talk about the drugs in Hays and how they are definitely in the High School. Plus I have a recent relative graduate there and he saw "stuff" going around there also. I applaud TMP for acting swiftly once the student teacher was identified, they didn't try to hide or sweep anything under the rug.

Breaking News: There are drugs at both schools. There are also drugs at 99% of schools in the country. If the government would quit wasting time and resources on pursuing adult marijuana users, maybe they'd have enough to actually do something effective about underage drug use. Just a thought.

TMP is also private property, and the owners, in this case the church, can do what they want. In a public school, the administration risks a Fourth Amendment lawsuit against them. In that sense, you're comparing apples to oranges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:24 pm

luv2cook wrote:
The Other One wrote:


You also have to remember the reason for this move: money. The school district is paying the Catholic church damn near $300,000 per year in rent for the Kennedy building. Perhaps if the Catholic parents want to keep their little darlings insulated from the reprobates at Felten they should just have a Catholic middle school and pay for it themselves. They already have a building. All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

You know what? I am really AMAZED that your child managed to graduate with all the accolades you posted above when he/she has such a narrow minded bigoted parent. Heres a news flash for you dumbass, its not just the Catholic parents that have the issue, there were many parents at that meeting that aren't Catholic, they were there because they are sick of being railroaded by the school board and they want/need to have smaller class sizes for their children's special needs.

Secondly could you we please stop beating the dead horse about the teacher that sold weed at TMP, fact of the matter is BOTH SCHOOL have drugs in them, BOTH OF THEM! Accept it and DEAL with it. Im tired of people acting like TMP is some crappy private school that doesnt have any programs that rival or heaven forbid are better than Hays High when its DEFINITELY not the case.

Want proof, go pull out the newspapers that listed the scholarships offered for Hays High and TMP's graduating classes this year. By far and away there were more scholarships offered to schools OTHER than FHSU to the TMP kids. I wonder why that is if TMP is such a shit school huh? Not to mention, their grading scale is a hell of alot tougher than Hays Highs. Nor do they have a bazillion electives offered.

For the record, my daughter goes to Hays High because its a better fit for her and thats what I based my choice on, not some bunch of anit-TMP crapola so many people like to float around.

Now you're turning everything around. But that's not surprising, considering your lack of literacy. I never said that TMP is any better or worse than Hays High. I don't know where you got that, except from an assumption. I have, however, talked to many people in Hays who sent their kids to TMP because, in their opinion, Hays High was just like Ridgemont High (from the movie).

And for the record, if you can't understand the way Dillon's gas station operates and you get upset about a perceived temporary hold on your account, you probably couldn't afford to send your kid to TMP. They do charge to go there, you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm

The Other One wrote:
lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

At least TMP has the nutz to have the drug dogs come out to their school...Hays High is too scared to find out what everyone else already knows. I've heard Officer Brian Dawson, the former resource officer at Hays High, talk about the drugs in Hays and how they are definitely in the High School. Plus I have a recent relative graduate there and he saw "stuff" going around there also. I applaud TMP for acting swiftly once the student teacher was identified, they didn't try to hide or sweep anything under the rug.

Breaking News: There are drugs at both schools. There are also drugs at 99% of schools in the country. If the government would quit wasting time and resources on pursuing adult marijuana users, maybe they'd have enough to actually do something effective about underage drug use. Just a thought.

TMP is also private property, and the owners, in this case the church, can do what they want. In a public school, the administration risks a Fourth Amendment lawsuit against them. In that sense, you're comparing apples to oranges.





Keep trying to hide behind that...I'm pretty sure that, yes minor students have the basic bill of rights safeguards, but schools and law enforcement have flexibility in these instances when it comes to the safe guards of the entire school population, especially if there are violations of other laws... but they do have to keep it within reasonable limits. But then again, they have an armed uniformed police officer in the building most of the time. Plus I think the courts have ruled that drug dogs can be used at anytime as long as all vehicles/property are inspected by the dogs. If the dog finds something, then it is reasonable suspicion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:44 pm

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
At least three others on the list also feed two high schools, one of which is religious affiliated: Pittsburg has Colgan High, McPherson has Elyria Christian and Ark City has Arkansas City Christian Academy.

Per the KSHSAA classifications, for grades 10th thru 12th:

TMP = 187
Colgan = 107
Elyria = 44
Arkansas City Christian = not listed

So Hays and TMP combined are still larger than all those other towns that were listed (but to be fair, TMP does need to be adjusted for borders, I'd say 25% but don't know the exact %).

Hays High & TMP = 739 (599 + 187 - 47)
Great Bend = 702
Pittsburg & Colgan = 655 (548 + 107)
McPherson & Elyria = 611 (567 + 44)
Arkansas City & ACCA = 561 (561+?)
Valley Center = 557

My point, I don't know if you can compare a town with almost 100 or more less students, so I'd definitely cross off Valley Center, Arkansas City, McPherson, and probably Pittsburgh from your argument that they are similar size and with only 1 middle school.

Newton might be the only one that I can find to compare and it looks like they have 3 middle schools, but might not really work with how close they are to Wichita area. They also have Newton Christian High School, but it looks to have a pretty small number of students, but can't verify and got tired of looking.


All of the schools listed are 5A schools. That's the closest you're going to get to compare. I picked ouy cities in the school classification and excluded those that are 5A because there are several high schools in the town, such as the Topeka schools and the Blue Valley schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:49 pm

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
All they need is a student teacher to sell weed in the parking lot.

At least TMP has the nutz to have the drug dogs come out to their school...Hays High is too scared to find out what everyone else already knows. I've heard Officer Brian Dawson, the former resource officer at Hays High, talk about the drugs in Hays and how they are definitely in the High School. Plus I have a recent relative graduate there and he saw "stuff" going around there also. I applaud TMP for acting swiftly once the student teacher was identified, they didn't try to hide or sweep anything under the rug.

Breaking News: There are drugs at both schools. There are also drugs at 99% of schools in the country. If the government would quit wasting time and resources on pursuing adult marijuana users, maybe they'd have enough to actually do something effective about underage drug use. Just a thought.

TMP is also private property, and the owners, in this case the church, can do what they want. In a public school, the administration risks a Fourth Amendment lawsuit against them. In that sense, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Keep trying to hide behind that...I'm pretty sure that, yes minor students have the basic bill of rights safeguards, but schools and law enforcement have flexibility in these instances when it comes to the safe guards of the entire school population, especially if there are violations of other laws... but they do have to keep it within reasonable limits. But then again, they have an armed uniformed police officer in the building most of the time. Plus I think the courts have ruled that drug dogs can be used at anytime as long as all vehicles/property are inspected by the dogs. If the dog finds something, then it is reasonable suspicion.

Sometimes it's not a question of whether they'd win or not, it's a question of whether it's worth the expense to defend themselves against a lawsuit.

And if you don't agree that the country as a whole is wasting resources on the prosecution of adult marijuana users, you must be willing to throw time and money away on a losing cause.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:17 pm

The Other One wrote:

Now you're turning everything around. But that's not surprising, considering your lack of literacy. I never said that TMP is any better or worse than Hays High. I don't know where you got that, except from an assumption. I have, however, talked to many people in Hays who sent their kids to TMP because, in their opinion, Hays High was just like Ridgemont High (from the movie).

And for the record, if you can't understand the way Dillon's gas station operates and you get upset about a perceived temporary hold on your account, you probably couldn't afford to send your kid to TMP. They do charge to go there, you know.

Oh my god, are you this dense?? First of all its not a "perceived temporary hold" it is a hold. And Dillons is the one who informed me about the hold, so what, now they are lying?

Secondly, who are you to make any kind assumption about what I can or can not afford? My child went to Holy Family, I paid the tuition, in full mind you. I could have sent her to TMP, in fact I catch grief about the fact that I sent her to Hays High on a weekly basis from my family because she is literally the first member of my family living in Hays, from my own grandmother ( went to Girls Catholic High) on down to her children (all of my uncles and my father-went to St. Joe's Military Academy) , and their children (myself and my sisters and brother - Marian High and TMP) and their children's children (my nieces and nephews - TMP) that didn't attend TMP. Not to mention the family members that have worked out there. So please dont assume you know shit about my finances or how I choose to educate my child.

And for the record Bozo, I have a college degree therefore your literacy comment is as ignorant as your pre-conceived notions about everything else regarding me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm

The Other One wrote:


Sometimes it's not a question of whether they'd win or not, it's a question of whether it's worth the expense to defend themselves against a lawsuit.

And if you don't agree that the country as a whole is wasting resources on the prosecution of adult marijuana users, you must be willing to throw time and money away on a losing cause.

We aren't talking about Adults, now we can argue if they would be tried as adults...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:18 pm

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:


Sometimes it's not a question of whether they'd win or not, it's a question of whether it's worth the expense to defend themselves against a lawsuit.

And if you don't agree that the country as a whole is wasting resources on the prosecution of adult marijuana users, you must be willing to throw time and money away on a losing cause.

We aren't talking about Adults, now we can argue if they would be tried as adults...

No, we're talking about the waste of resources.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:20 pm

luv2cook wrote:
The Other One wrote:

Now you're turning everything around. But that's not surprising, considering your lack of literacy. I never said that TMP is any better or worse than Hays High. I don't know where you got that, except from an assumption. I have, however, talked to many people in Hays who sent their kids to TMP because, in their opinion, Hays High was just like Ridgemont High (from the movie).

And for the record, if you can't understand the way Dillon's gas station operates and you get upset about a perceived temporary hold on your account, you probably couldn't afford to send your kid to TMP. They do charge to go there, you know.

Oh my god, are you this dense?? First of all its not a "perceived temporary hold" it is a hold. And Dillons is the one who informed me about the hold, so what, now they are lying?

Secondly, who are you to make any kind assumption about what I can or can not afford? My child went to Holy Family, I paid the tuition, in full mind you. I could have sent her to TMP, in fact I catch grief about the fact that I sent her to Hays High on a weekly basis from my family because she is literally the first member of my family living in Hays, from my own grandmother ( went to Girls Catholic High) on down to her children (all of my uncles and my father-went to St. Joe's Military Academy) , and their children (myself and my sisters and brother - Marian High and TMP) and their children's children (my nieces and nephews - TMP) that didn't attend TMP. Not to mention the family members that have worked out there. So please dont assume you know shit about my finances or how I choose to educate my child.

And for the record Bozo, I have a college degree therefore your literacy comment is as ignorant as your pre-conceived notions about everything else regarding me.

Perhaps Dillon's doesn't trust you.

And there are a lot of idiots walking around with college degrees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1337
Age : 40
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote="luv2cook"]
The Other One wrote:

And for the record Bozo

Hey lets not get Bozo involved in this, what did Bozo do to get put in the middle of this.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Ellis PD has even searched cars for cigarettes. One kid got in trouble even though the smokes found were their parents. And as for HHS or Felton, When Felton was HJH they did search lockers when they had reason. I was told once that if I did not willingly produce a knife I was seen with that they would search my locker. And I knew another girl busted with weed in her locker. Yes, that was the 70's, but even though HHS and HJH had, and have drug reputations it doesn't mean it's overlooked when they have reliable witnesses.

And on a side note, some of the biggest drug users I've known attended Catlick school. Some of the easiest girls did too. But being from the Hays school system myself I can guarantee that HHS has always had alot bigger drug culture than TMP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

The Other One wrote:


Perhaps Dillon's doesn't trust you.

And there are a lot of idiots walking around with college degrees.

This would be funny if it were just me, since the time Ive made that post, Ive run across many others. It depends on the bank your card is drawn on. Its not a personal thing.

You on the other hand are no longer worth me wasting time with, you've proven yourself to be biased, ignorant and uninformed. Have a great day over there in your little part of the world. I can only hope your child learns tolerance on the east coast because it's obviously not taught at home.

Ratz, do you think that might be because of the sheer ratio of kids though as far as more at HHS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 pm

That's a possibility L2, but at least when I was in school the majority of drug use was among the HHS kids. Now alcohol, especially beer, has always been greatly appreciated by both the heathens occupying HHS and the good TMP Catlicks here in Alice Cowndy.

As far as modern times go I really can't say how the schools compare in those categories, but just the differences in structure and strict upbringing I've seen in alot of TMP parents verses the more lax attitudes of alot of HHS parents makes me think it more likely in HHS.

Then again, sometimes the toughest parents breed the most rebellious kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I quit toking when I found out I was gonna be a Dad. Even small schools have drug problems. Would rather see them make cuts over raising rates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 am

Ratzilla wrote:
I was told once that if I did not willingly produce a knife I was seen with that they would search my locker.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:59 am

Ratzilla wrote:
As far as modern times go I really can't say how the schools compare in those categories, but just the differences in structure and strict upbringing I've seen in alot of TMP parents verses the more lax attitudes of alot of HHS parents makes me think it more likely in HHS.

I don't have anything against people sending their kids to TMP. In fact, I would defend their right to send their kids there against those who oppose all religious based schools. However, your accessment of HHS parents as lax is completely off base.

My oldest daughter attended Topeka High for the second semester of her sophomore year. I had always been used to waiting in line to see the teachers at Wilson, Felten, Kennedy and Hays High. I was expecting the same at THS. When I arrived, I was shocked to discover that I was the only parent in the building, and the teachers were surprised that anyone showed up. Her German teacher told me that I was the first parent in two years to show up in her classroom. That's a whole lot of parents who couldn't care less about their kids.

Bottom line is that this conversation got way off the subject. Whether your kid(s) go to public or private schools in Hays, you're lucky to be in a town with such an excellent school system. The basis for closing Kennedy, and possibly Washington, is economic. It may not be due to the financial indesretions of the school board or of anyone in the local administration, but the way the state has made local schools dependent on state funding is hitting home. Hays is one of the few places in the nation that has been largely unaffected by the national economy. But the funding for schools is going to be cut. The state and teh country just don't have the money to continue. It may not be your fault, but you're going to have to deal with it. The more you encourage and support your kids, the better chance they will have to succeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 am

That's a ripoff of an old National Lampoon mag cover.



There was another version in cartoon form. And that one was objected to by animal rights activists so the new cover had an ugly girl with the same title of "If you don't buy this magazine we'll shoot this dog". I'm a proud owner of a copy of that one. LOL.

Hays unaffected by national economy? I was told 10 years ago that other areas were paying double for my same job, but I can't relocate for numerous reasons. Ellis County kids will mostly defect once they graduate. Unless thier daddies can provide them with more wealth by staying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 am

luv2cook wrote:
The Other One wrote:


Perhaps Dillon's doesn't trust you.

And there are a lot of idiots walking around with college degrees.

This would be funny if it were just me, since the time Ive made that post, Ive run across many others. It depends on the bank your card is drawn on. Its not a personal thing.

You on the other hand are no longer worth me wasting time with, you've proven yourself to be biased, ignorant and uninformed. Have a great day over there in your little part of the world. I can only hope your child learns tolerance on the east coast because it's obviously not taught at home.

Ratz, do you think that might be because of the sheer ratio of kids though as far as more at HHS?

So what you're saying is what everyone else has been saying since your first post in the other thread. Your bank sucks.

As for tolerance, my kids are taught to be tolerant of things that people are born with, such as skin color, national origin, etc. I have no obligation, nor do I teach them, to be tolerant of stupidity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:25 am

Ratzilla wrote:
That's a ripoff of an old National Lampoon mag cover.



There was another version in cartoon form. And that one was objected to by animal rights activists so the new cover had an ugly girl with the same title of "If you don't buy this magazine we'll shoot this dog". I'm a proud owner of a copy of that one. LOL.

Hays unaffected by national economy? I was told 10 years ago that other areas were paying double for my same job, but I can't relocate for numerous reasons. Ellis County kids will mostly defect once they graduate. Unless thier daddies can provide them with more wealth by staying.

This is one of the funniest ever:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilchefed
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 282
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 am

The Other One wrote:
Bottom line is that this conversation got way off the subject. Whether your kid(s) go to public or private schools in Hays, you're lucky to be in a town with such an excellent school system. The basis for closing Kennedy, and possibly Washington, is economic. It may not be due to the financial indesretions of the school board or of anyone in the local administration, but the way the state has made local schools dependent on state funding is hitting home. Hays is one of the few places in the nation that has been largely unaffected by the national economy. But the funding for schools is going to be cut. The state and teh country just don't have the money to continue. It may not be your fault, but you're going to have to deal with it. The more you encourage and support your kids, the better chance they will have to succeed.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
That's a possibility L2, but at least when I was in school the majority of drug use was among the HHS kids. Now alcohol, especially beer, has always been greatly appreciated by both the heathens occupying HHS and the good TMP Catlicks here in Alice Cowndy.

As far as modern times go I really can't say how the schools compare in those categories, but just the differences in structure and strict upbringing I've seen in alot of TMP parents verses the more lax attitudes of alot of HHS parents makes me think it more likely in HHS.

Then again, sometimes the toughest parents breed the most rebellious kids.

Thats so true, it like once they get out on their own all hell breaks loose. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer


Number of posts : 919
Location : Shawnee, KS
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:41 pm

lilchefed wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Bottom line is that this conversation got way off the subject. Whether your kid(s) go to public or private schools in Hays, you're lucky to be in a town with such an excellent school system. The basis for closing Kennedy, and possibly Washington, is economic. It may not be due to the financial indesretions of the school board or of anyone in the local administration, but the way the state has made local schools dependent on state funding is hitting home. Hays is one of the few places in the nation that has been largely unaffected by the national economy. But the funding for schools is going to be cut. The state and teh country just don't have the money to continue. It may not be your fault, but you're going to have to deal with it. The more you encourage and support your kids, the better chance they will have to succeed.



I agree as well.
People all over the state are dealing with the decisions that school boards are being forced to make. Until the state gets it's finances under control this particular problem isn't going away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 pm

The Other One wrote:
My oldest daughter attended Topeka High for the second semester of her sophomore year. I had always been used to waiting in line to see the teachers at Wilson, Felten, Kennedy and Hays High. I was expecting the same at THS. When I arrived, I was shocked to discover that I was the only parent in the building, and the teachers were surprised that anyone showed up. Her German teacher told me that I was the first parent in two years to show up in her classroom. That's a whole lot of parents who couldn't care less about their kids.

This was in reference to parent-teacher conferences, by the way. And we gave her the choice of going to Free State or Hays High the next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justoo
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3812
Age : 60
Location : Location, Location.
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 am

My parents never would have let me school at Free State. http://freestatebrewing.com/

_________________
I just don't cotton to all this. Too daggone many rules - Ernest T. Bass

Translation services available upon request.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 am

Justoo wrote:
My parents never would have let me school at Free State. http://freestatebrewing.com/

I didn't know the chemistry department had their own website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:34 am

They sell some of those brews in Hays now. Any personal reviews EP? Havn't seen the IPA here yet, but they sell the Ad Astra and Copperhead.

And for anyone who says beer is off topic, remember we are talking about Hays schools. Beer was discussed quite frequently when I attended school and Bud Man was more recognizable than the president to most of us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 1936
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 am

when I was in band in HS, two songs we played for pepband were "Roll out the barrel" & the Budweiser song "You've said it all" but then, back then we drank beer in the LEC parking lot and it was no big deal

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
when I was in band in HS, two songs we played for pepband were "Roll out the barrel" & the Budweiser song "You've said it all" but then, back then we drank beer in the LEC parking lot and it was no big deal

That was still during the Germany West phase of Ellis County history. We let too many outsiders in since then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1242
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 pm

LukeTHr wrote:
when I was in band in HS, two songs we played for pepband were "Roll out the barrel" & the Budweiser song "You've said it all" but then, back then we drank beer in the LEC parking lot and it was no big deal.

For us, it was "Get It On" and "Rubber Band Man."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:22 am

Coolest song I remember getting to do was "Dead Babies" at HJH. I think that was in 8th grade chorus. Come to think of it, that was the only song in chorus that was even remotely cool. We got to pick any song and I was shocked that even the girls were willing to go along with that one.

On the other hand, some of us were forbidden to do "My Dingaling" for a 6th grade talent show at Lincoln after a teacher heard the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Felton next year?   

Back to top Go down
 
Felton next year?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» 4-Year-Old British Girl From Nottingham Killed By Car On Daytona Beach, Florida
» 50-Year-Old Woman Charged With Abducting 4-Year-Old Boy
» 11 year-old girl shot for playing too close to a car
» the real reaction 4 year olds have when they are left alone!!!! ( warning upsetting )
» Man charged with killing 4 year-old for wetting his pants.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hays, Kansas :: Open Forum :: General Discussion-
Jump to: