Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 How long is this bullshit gonna last?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 986
Age : 80
Location : Hays,rural Ellis County
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

The mess on Vine street. Anyone hear when it's gonna be done and over with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CountryGirl
Rookie
Rookie
avatar

Number of posts : 238
Location : Hays
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm

heard it'll take 5 wks to do the southbound lanes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 pm

HDN story says July.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 pm

From personal observations, they are tearing up 12 inches of reinforced concrete and the leftovers are being dumped behind the VFW next to the scaffold storage for the A1 bankruptcy by sunflower bank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luv2cook
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:29 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
HDN story says July.

Which really means August 1st.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

luv2cook wrote:
nitromaxx98 wrote:
HDN story says July.

Which really means August 1st.

That's really not too bad. How long was Kellogg in Wichita torn up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 986
Age : 80
Location : Hays,rural Ellis County
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Some portion of Kellog was torn up for years.Now they're talking about more work on the west side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Nice to see they outsourced to a Salina company too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 am

I didn't see where Vine was in need of repair compared to other streets. Maybe they just wanted more trees in the center so visitors could feel all warm and fuzzy while they admire nature and ignore other drivers and it required complete removal and re-lay to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am

Ratzilla wrote:
I didn't see where Vine was in need of repair compared to other streets. Maybe they just wanted more trees in the center so visitors could feel all warm and fuzzy while they admire nature and ignore other drivers and it required complete removal and re-lay to do it.


Hays City Commission notes wrote:
In 2004, Vine Street from 13th to 27th Street was milled and overlaid with 2
inches of asphalt. At that time, both the engineers and contractors involved in
the project agreed that the overlay was only a temporary repair job, and that the
next project would need to be a full pavement replacement. Since then, the mill
and overlay has already begun to fail and City crews have made several repairs.
The failure of the overlay is due to the deterioration of the concrete base below it.
The City has received KDOT Connecting Link funding to assist in funding
the cost of the pavement replacement. Smoky Hill Construction submitted the
lowest bid in the amount of $993,541 for reconstruction of Vine from 22nd to 27th
Street. The reconstruction of Vine Street from 13th to 22nd Street is budgeted for
2013.

I'm no expert, but the 12+ inch looks pretty damn solid to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Other One
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
I didn't see where Vine was in need of repair compared to other streets. Maybe they just wanted more trees in the center so visitors could feel all warm and fuzzy while they admire nature and ignore other drivers and it required complete removal and re-lay to do it.


Hays City Commission notes wrote:
In 2004, Vine Street from 13th to 27th Street was milled and overlaid with 2
inches of asphalt. At that time, both the engineers and contractors involved in
the project agreed that the overlay was only a temporary repair job, and that the
next project would need to be a full pavement replacement. Since then, the mill
and overlay has already begun to fail and City crews have made several repairs.
The failure of the overlay is due to the deterioration of the concrete base below it.
The City has received KDOT Connecting Link funding to assist in funding
the cost of the pavement replacement. Smoky Hill Construction submitted the
lowest bid in the amount of $993,541 for reconstruction of Vine from 22nd to 27th
Street. The reconstruction of Vine Street from 13th to 22nd Street is budgeted for
2013.

I'm no expert, but the 12+ inch looks pretty damn solid to me.

Sounds like they could have done it right in 2004, but they chose to do it at least twice. Just another example of wasted taxpayer money. Kind of surprised there were no federal funds involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
avatar

Number of posts : 986
Age : 80
Location : Hays,rural Ellis County
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:08 pm

So everything south of 13th will go neglected. I guess that's why down in the college area people are driving on concrete so hammered that the mesh is showing. I see this in a lot of places in that area. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 3515
Location : Here, Duh...
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
So everything south of 13th will go neglected.

Not forever, Blackie. They will have some kind of plan by 2016.

$48,000
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:51 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
So everything south of 13th will go neglected. I guess that's why down in the college area people are driving on concrete so hammered that the mesh is showing. I see this in a lot of places in that area. Mad

College area = geek afro and

Vine Street = Tourists and $$$$

You wouldn't want tourists to be terrorized by a crack in the pavement and run for Interstate before they've checked into their hotels would you? Besides, no one too important lives in Southwest Hays or they'd have put that low income housing somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 1936
Age : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Blackie Kuhn wrote:
So everything south of 13th will go neglected. I guess that's why down in the college area people are driving on concrete so hammered that the mesh is showing. I see this in a lot of places in that area. Mad

College area = geek afro and

Vine Street = Tourists and $$$$

You wouldn't want tourists to be terrorized by a crack in the pavement and run for Interstate before they've checked into their hotels would you? Besides, no one too important lives in Southwest Hays or they'd have put that low income housing somewhere else.

Tourists??? who is going to be able to afford travel, let alone take a vacation and actually go anywhere. We will all be too busy working just trying to survive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:02 am

Hace doesn't want to attract you and I to stay in their hotels Luke. They want to attract those who have money. Like my niece and her husband who was able to retire at 50 with no worries. Their travels in recent years include California, Maine, Hawaii, the Bahamas, and Europe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How long is this bullshit gonna last?   

Back to top Go down
 
How long is this bullshit gonna last?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Desperately need a donor on Long Island
» Looking to donate locally long term
» how long can BM be frozen for?
» One-time milk donation available on Long Island
» The Gentle Giant? Bullshit.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hays, Kansas :: Open Forum :: Local Discussions-
Jump to: