Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka

Go down 
+3
Ratzilla
slickjay12
suzyj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438
Registration date : 2008-03-25

House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Empty
PostSubject: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:15 am

http://cjonline.com/legislature/2011-02-08/house-committee-approves-closure-kni
This is just wrong. So many of the clients at KNI are in need of total care. When they get moved to community based programs, there's little to no over-sight of the employees, to ensure they're receiving the level of care they need to survive, let alone thrive. KNI is where the severely disabled individuals have been placed when their families can no longer take care of them. The families thought their child/sibling would receive the proper care needed if placed there. With the closure, these individuals will be put into homes in the poorest neighborhoods, and be "cared for" by an understaffed, under (or un) educated, minimum wage earning, soon-to-be-burned-out group of individuals. I'm not saying that all the caretakers are like that, but it's an overwhelming responsibility that most simply can not handle. I fear for the clients.

Last edited by suzyr on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OK, Zeke... you're right. :))
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 4:26 am

Welcome to the Brokeback Kansas We are so fucked
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 am

Very strange considering that it's the republicans who complained about the elderly being cast out and given a death sentence and other loss of services by Obamacare.

How bout we cut out Brownback's salary and make sure no subsidies are paid to his farmland? He's estimated to be worth a few million and can easily live several years if he'd sell all his stocks out.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 am

You guys are getting all worked up about a proposal that has passed a committee in the House. It still has to pass the full House, then pass in the Senate, before it goes to Brownback for his signature. The Kansas Senate is much more moderate than the House. Look for this to be voted down.

And Ratzo, I agree that no subsidies should be paid to Brownback for farmland. Neither should subsidies be paid to anyone for not producing. However, you must remember that farm subsidies are a federal program, not state. Cutting them would do nothing for the state's budget.

And cut out his salary? Maybe we should cut out all salaries for all elected officials and declare them slaves, thereby not allowing them to resign. Good idea, Ratzo. There's a small problem called the 14th Amendment, though.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

First off, this cut was one of Brownback's ideas, so I'd say he's first in line to slam on it. And there's a problem in that the elected officials cater to their special interests rather than the general public that they are sworn to serve EP. But I guess you don't much care if they interfere with "our" 14th amendment rights and use "our" tax dollars to pay for 1000 stupid ways to pacify their friends.

And I offer my deepest apologies that republicans can't blame this on Obama. I know it must be painful.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
First off, this cut was one of Brownback's ideas, so I'd say he's first in line to slam on it. And there's a problem in that the elected officials cater to their special interests rather than the general public that they are sworn to serve EP. But I guess you don't much care if they interfere with "our" 14th amendment rights and use "our" tax dollars to pay for 1000 stupid ways to pacify their friends.

And I offer my deepest apologies that republicans can't blame this on Obama. I know it must be painful.

You failed to address the point that this is NOT a law yet and that it stands a pretty good chance of failing in the Senate.

Do you know what the 14th Amendment says?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:47 am

Yes I know what the 14th says. And it doesn't say it's different for governors than the rest of us. And the point never was whether it will fail or sail. The point you completely choose to overlook is that it's Brownback who wanted it to begin with.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Yes I know what the 14th says. And it doesn't say it's different for governors than the rest of us. And the point never was whether it will fail or sail. The point you completely choose to overlook is that it's Brownback who wanted it to begin with.

I don't care where the idea originated. If it doesn't pass the legislature, it won't be the law. My point was that you should all quit acting like it's a done deal, ready for Brownback's signature. In fact, if you're that passionately against it, find a group that's working to stop it and help them.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 am

suzyr wrote:
http://cjonline.com/legislature/2011-02-08/house-committee-approves-closure-kni
This is just wrong. So many of the clients at KNI are in need of total care. When they get moved to community based programs, there's little to no over-sight of the employees, to ensure they're receiving the level of care they need to survive, let alone thrive. KNI is where the severely disabled individuals have been placed when their families can no longer take care of them. The families thought their child/sibling would receive the proper care needed if placed there. With the closure, these individuals will be put into homes in the poorest neighborhoods, and be "cared for" by an understaffed, under (or un) educated, minimum wage earning, soon-to-be-burned-out group of individuals. I'm not saying that all the caretakers are like that, but it's an overwhelming responsibility that most simply can not handle. I fear for the clients.

Suzy, you are making some inaccurate assumptions.
There is considerable more oversight than you think. Aside from management, the state has certain requirements that must be met and they do have people that monitor the homes. Most community based programs are affiliated with CARF and must meet their requirements to be accredited.
At least in Hays there are no homes in the poorest of neighborhoods. All of the homes are north of the tracks. Some homes are located in the newest subdivisions and one home is located on Country Club Drive. Hardly the poor part of town.
Assuming that the higher wage paid by the state attracts a better educated staff is inaccurate as is the assumption that state wages prevents "burnout".
Sleep well Suzy. They will be better cared for than you think.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

I don't care where the idea originated. If it doesn't pass the legislature, it won't be the law. My point was that you should all quit acting like it's a done deal, ready for Brownback's signature. In fact, if you're that passionately against it, find a group that's working to stop it and help them.

Yes you do care and that is why we are debating the subject. I don't expect anyone to be tossed into a cage or lose care. But if this had been the idea of a leftist democrat you'd be having a hissy fit over what a jackass he was to pick on the disabled. I just think more appropriate places for cuts could be made.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Yes you do care and that is why we are debating the subject. I don't expect anyone to be tossed into a cage or lose care. But if this had been the idea of a leftist democrat you'd be having a hissy fit over what a jackass he was to pick on the disabled. I just think more appropriate places for cuts could be made.

I didn't say that I care one way or the other about the issue. What I said is that no matter where it came from, if it doesn't pass the legislature, it's dead. Period.

And you have no idea what I care about, so STFU.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:36 pm

The Other One wrote:
I didn't say that I care one way or the other about the issue. What I said is that no matter where it came from, if it doesn't pass the legislature, it's dead. Period.

You know damn well that if this was an Obama idea you'd be trashing him plenty. And you, Bighead Junior, always claim to know what I'm thinking when you don't have a clue. Why should you be the only one that's allowed to analyze someone's beliefs?
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:

You know damn well that if this was an Obama idea you'd be trashing him plenty. And you, Bighead Junior, always claim to know what I'm thinking when you don't have a clue. Why should you be the only one that's allowed to analyze someone's beliefs?

This would never be an Oblahblah idea. Its intent is to save money.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Justoo, my assumption is that these folks will be integrated into the Topeka community. Many of the homes rented by the HCBS providers here are in "low rent" parts of town. There's a reason they're "low rent". My point of view about this is about the Topeka workforce, not Hays.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 pm

suzy dear, a nation simply must have its priorities straight...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html

these "people" if we can call them that... must suffer because BP needs more money... and so doesnt raytheon, ge ...etc ad nauseum
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

The Other One wrote:
This would never be an Oblahblah idea. Its intent is to save money.

Obama didn't think multi-millionaires needed tens, or hundreds of thousands in tax cuts. That might save the rest of us some money.

Oh My Gosh I forgot!!!! Those guys need tax breaks far worse than a minimum wage employee.

Bad Ratzilla.... Bad Bad Ratzilla.... (Slaps own hand for even talking about taking a crust of bread from the mouths of starving millionaires) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

seems more like one of them "compromises with republicans" we keep hearing about given what they want to offer for budget cuts....

Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

robert wrote:
suzy dear, a nation simply must have its priorities straight...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/business/04bptax.html

these "people" if we can call them that... must suffer because BP needs more money... and so doesnt raytheon, ge ...etc ad nauseum

If we can't call them people then perhaps those that can't lack compassion for their fellow humans and are themselves subhuman. I hope you find a way to heal soon. A lack of compassion for others can be devastating to the human condition.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 pm

I kinda think robert was being sarcastic. At least I hope so.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 pm

I hope you are right. Perhaps he will let us know.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
I kinda think robert was being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

Yes, he was.

Been a long day. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Yep, I can relate to a long day. It went pretty quick for me, but I was tired before it started.
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

why don't you give the full name first then you can use the acranym the rest of the way not everyone knows what KNI and since it is not explained i lost interest so KNI can go .......
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 pm

zeke wrote:
why don't you give the full name first then you can use the acranym the rest of the way not everyone knows what KNI and since it is not explained i lost interest so KNI can go .......

Dude, it was in the atricle that she linked to her comments. At least do a little reading before losing complete interest. It's not like it was one of bobby's blah-blah-blah links.
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm

excuse me.........been on brain overload lately
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 am

Hey Suzy, too bad your new thread title has to include the words Kansas Neurological Institute.
"House committee approves closure of Topeka" sounds a lot more useful. People in Hays used to call Liberal the armpit of Kansas. If the state was a human body, Topeka would be the anus.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 am

Sorry EP, a girl from Garden City already told me she lived in the asshole of the state, and that she was having trouble finding anyone she could talk about it to in english. But since politics led to the creation of SW Kansas maybe Topeka is the colon.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:32 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Sorry EP, a girl from Garden City already told me she lived in the asshole of the state, and that she was having trouble finding anyone she could talk about it to in english. But since politics led to the creation of SW Kansas maybe Topeka is the colon.

Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, Great Bend, Topeka....they're all becoming third world cities.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 am

Once again, we agree.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:04 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Once again, we agree.

Don't let that get out.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 am

The Other One wrote:
Hey Suzy, too bad your new thread title has to include the words Kansas Neurological Institute.
"House committee approves closure of Topeka" sounds a lot more useful. People in Hays used to call Liberal the armpit of Kansas. If the state was a human body, Topeka would be the anus.

House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka 293689

There are good things about Topeka. I'll have to get back to ya after I wrack my brain trying to find something.
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 pm

actually kansas isn't all that bad. yes it could be better, but it could be a whole lot worse then it is.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 pm

zeke wrote:
actually kansas isn't all that bad. yes it could be better, but it could be a whole lot worse then it is.

You obviously have never lived in Topeka.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 6:22 pm

the only good thing about Topeka is Heartland Park Dragstrip
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 pm

They have a Buffalo Wild Wings, too, slick. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 pm

It is a beautiful home on an equally beautiful piece of property with public access walking trails. Quite nice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 3:35 pm

The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, Great Bend, Topeka....they're all becoming third world cities.

thank gawd for the republican go capitalism job creation machine! kansans helping kansas!

cheers
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:12 pm

robert wrote:
The Other One wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:

thank gawd for the republican go capitalism job creation machine! kansans helping kansas!

cheers

House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Ronald_reagan_says_shut_up_hippie_postcard-p239446056921551434qibm_400
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka   House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

House committee approves closure of Kansas Neurological Institute, Topeka
Page 1 of 1