Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Tank Battery fire near Codell

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Tank Battery fire near Codell Empty
PostSubject: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:31 am

Don't know the whole story but Rooks county fire department worked a tank battery fire. Burned up a couple fire trucks and sent 4 firemen to Plainville Hospital and one on to Wichita with burns. The other 4 were released at Plainville.

I remember when I was in Jr High there was a tank battery fire East of Ellis. I will always being about 1/2 mile away and it being to hot there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Edit; always remember being 1/2 mile away from the fire and it was still very Hot.

Thanks Just Too... Ryan Cellmar is getting a skin graft on his hand today in Wichita.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Tank battery fires are tricky. Especially steel tanks. Not sure what they had up there.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 11:46 pm

nice reply at the other place rat. I know the Voss guy that replied there and I think you both nailed the situation perfectly
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:03 am

I can't believe that one idiot who called the fire crews stupid and said "What could go wrong at a tank battery fire?" A whole lot of things can go wrong. What a jerk.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 am

fiberglass, I heard. Think the tank was full of oil. I guess the fire men rolled up on the fire and the fluid over flowed the safety dike and ran under the pump truck and the bulk water truck and others...and that caught fire. I should read that article.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 1:54 am

Hess will replace it for a small fee~lol
Glad everyone is okay of course!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 2:17 am

alg8tr wrote:
fiberglass, I heard. Think the tank was full of oil. I guess the fire men rolled up on the fire and the fluid over flowed the safety dike and ran under the pump truck and the bulk water truck and others...and that caught fire. I should read that article.

Fiberglass tanks tend to melt rather than explode but if full of oil a sudden failure of the tank could overflow a pit fast, especially if the pit was already partway full. Kinda tough to call without being there, but if the tank failed suddenly as they were setting up it might be hard to get out of the way. Tanks are never just sitting there nice and easy after a lightning hit. It's hard to say what took place without more info.

Once in Ellis Co. a steel tank failed just as trucks were pulling in. The catwalk flew over the top of a truck and part of the tank landed several hundred yards away.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 5:32 am

Guess I was lucky. All pf the tank fires I worked were babysitting jobs more or less.
Never experienced a failure.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:46 am

That was over by Ellis where the tank blew as the trucks approached. Another South of Ellis vented while crews were on scene shooting flame 20 foot or more and it roared like a jet engine.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 pm

It was an old Berexco "Westusing" lease North of Codell Kansas, just South of our Howitt LSE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank Battery fire near Codell   Tank Battery fire near Codell Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank Battery fire near Codell
Page 1 of 1