Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Only Idiots smoke

Go down 
+5
Blackie Kuhn
slickjay12
Ratzilla
The Other One
robert
9 posters
AuthorMessage
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 am

Intelligence comes second only to smoking as a predictor of heart disease, scientists said on Wednesday, suggesting public health campaigns may need to be designed for people with lower IQs if they are to work.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/health_stories/low_IQ_predictor_heart/2010/02/10/312837.html

look at the reach they had to make to get these "conclusive" results...

lol!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 4:59 pm

The article fails to mention that people with lower IQs typically have lower incomes. These are the people who routinely consume mass produced foods that are basically empty calories that contribute to obesity and are full of chemicals that trigger alergic reactions.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 5:08 pm

But I agree with the premise in the thread title:

Only Idiots smoke Obama_smoking
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

There's also a new study saying that simple tobacco smoke residue on surfaces can mix with other chemicals and is causing cancer, especially in children. These two studies both rely on hopes that the public is dumb enough to believe them.

Smokers, like any other drug or alcohol abuser can be from any social or intelligence level. Mostly what I see when I read either of these "theories" is that stupid elitists are still preying on the fears of real idiots by continuing to scream Burn the witch!!.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 pm

The Other One wrote:
But I agree with the premise in the thread title:

Only Idiots smoke 2800338615_9b351d9ddd
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 am

The difference in the pictures is that one is pre-surgeon general's report on smoking, back in the days when doctors used to do cigarette commercials talking about the health benefits of smoking. The picture of Reagan is also a magazine ad. He was being paid for it. Doesn't mean he ever actually smoked them. He may have, but I don't know and don't care. In 2010, anyone who smokes cigarettes is either a moron or has a death wish. And anyone who believes that they aren't harmful to your health is difinitely a moron.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 12:48 am

The Other One wrote:
The difference in the pictures is that one is pre-surgeon general's report on smoking, back in the days when doctors used to do cigarette commercials talking about the health benefits of smoking. The picture of Reagan is also a magazine ad. He was being paid for it. Doesn't mean he ever actually smoked them. He may have, but I don't know and don't care. In 2010, anyone who smokes cigarettes is either a moron or has a death wish. And anyone who believes that they aren't harmful to your health is difinitely a moron.

I agree for the life of me I can't figure out anybody does it anymore
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:06 am

The Other One wrote:
In 2010, anyone who smokes cigarettes is either a moron or has a death wish.

Maybe you aren't aware of it, but it's common for persons of genius level intelligence to have a self destructive nature. Robert Oppenheimer was a nuclear physicist of true genius proportions. He is credited with being largely responsible for creating the atomic bomb which no doubt saved many thousands of US soldiers and others from dying in drawn out war with Japan. He was also a lifelong chainsmoker who died of throat cancer.

So since it's 2010 I must assume you self proclaimed intelligent people have quit drinking, eating fat, you wear sunscreen and never go out in the noon sun, and have regular colon exams.

After all, alcoholism, obesity, melanoma, and colon cancer are also avoidable deaths. But I'm sure only us morons would even think of having more than two beers while barbecuing in the summer sun.

Oh, by the way. They've known smoking caused cancer and other health problems since back in the 1800's. Oppenheimer knew it was unhealthy. They have known alcohol and being too fat caused health problems just as long, so be sure to call all the drinkers and fat guys idiots too, you self righteous asshole.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 am

slickjay12 wrote:
I agree for the life of me I can't figure out anybody does it anymore

It's called addiction. I gave up the heavy drinking when I realized it was harming my health, but I havn't been able to beat the smokes. They have always been there day and night for the last 37 years. My dad smoked heavy for 40 years until one day he just felt the time was right and he quit.

My grandad died of lung cancer. My sister and an uncle died of emphysema. They weren't weak or stupid. One of my cousins was a successful antique dealer in California who is now battling emphysema. I know the parents of other forum members who died, or are ill from smoking but they weren't, or aren't idiots either. For some it's just that hard to quit.

Every smoker will admit it's a stupid habit, but so is hitting McDonalds if you weigh 300 pounds. So is trying to tan like a Mexican if you have blond hair and blue eyes. It doesn't mean you have to insult them all.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 am

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:
In 2010, anyone who smokes cigarettes is either a moron or has a death wish.

Maybe you aren't aware of it, but it's common for persons of genius level intelligence to have a self destructive nature. Robert Oppenheimer was a nuclear physicist of true genius proportions. He is credited with being largely responsible for creating the atomic bomb which no doubt saved many thousands of US soldiers and others from dying in drawn out war with Japan. He was also a lifelong chainsmoker who died of throat cancer.

So since it's 2010 I must assume you self proclaimed intelligent people have quit drinking, eating fat, you wear sunscreen and never go out in the noon sun, and have regular colon exams.

After all, alcoholism, obesity, melanoma, and colon cancer are also avoidable deaths. But I'm sure only us morons would even think of having more than two beers while barbecuing in the summer sun.

Oh, by the way. They've known smoking caused cancer and other health problems since back in the 1800's. Oppenheimer knew it was unhealthy. They have known alcohol and being too fat caused health problems just as long, so be sure to call all the drinkers and fat guys idiots too, you self righteous asshole.

There are conflicting studies in reference to alcohol and fat. Some say light to moderate alcohol consumption is beneficial. Some say that fat intake is inconsequential if you eliminate carbohydrates (Atkins). But there is no scientific study that I am aware of that says smoking cigarettes will do anything except destroy your health as well as your wallet.

That being said, I would categorically oppose legislation that would make smoking illegal. However, I am also categorically opposed to smokers receiving any public benefits to treat health problems caused by smoking. If you smoke, develop cancer and don't have insurance, too bad. Same thing goes for health problems caused by excessive drinking. Also, if you're pregnant and you smoke or drink, you should be held criminally liable if your child is born with health problems as a result.

As I stated before, there is an established link between consumption of processed foods and obesity. There are people think they can't afford to eat healthy, but if they were taught about what they are doing to themselves, they would see that they really can't afford to not eat healthy.

As for geniuses being self destructive, no argument there.

And by the way, I am not a self-righteous asshole, I am a pompous asshole.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 am

I wonder if that swelled head didn't frack up that neck of yours Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 am

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
I wonder if that swelled head didn't frack up that neck of yours Very Happy

Congenital arthritis. It could be worse. It could actually be in my genitals.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:08 am

We agree that anyone with bad habits should be responsible for their own downfall. And alcohol tends to help prevent heart and circulatory problems, but the amounts that help the heart are often tough on liver, stomach, and other organs. So it has good and bad points.

As far as the cigarette having no benefit, it's no different than that drink after a days work, or that chocolate to a person who's way too overweight. It gives the user a sense of well being.

An odd thing as to the addictive power of a cigarette is how an emphysema patient on oxygen will call for help saying he can't breathe only to have medics arrive to find out they are feeling ok because they just had a cigarette while they were waiting. That sir, is addiction too strong to understand unless it's yours.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:13 am

Ratzilla wrote:
An odd thing as to the addictive power of a cigarette is how an emphysema patient on oxygen will call for help saying he can't breathe only to have medics arrive to find out they are feeling ok because they just had a cigarette while they were waiting. That sir, is addiction too strong to understand unless it's yours.

My sister-in-law's brother died of emphysema. He smoked while hooked up to his oxygen tank. My brother wouldn't allow his kids to see their uncle for fear that a spark would take them with him.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 am

The Other One wrote:
My sister-in-law's brother died of emphysema. He smoked while hooked up to his oxygen tank. My brother wouldn't allow his kids to see their uncle for fear that a spark would take them with him.

Oxygen isn't flammable. It and other oxidizing agents only feed flames. So yeah, if he lit the kid on fire and shot the oxygen at them it might be bad. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 am

Ratzilla wrote:
The Other One wrote:

Oxygen isn't flammable. It and other oxidizing agents only feed flames. So yeah, if he lit the kid on fire and shot the oxygen at them it might be bad. Smile

Guess he didn't know that. But better safe than sorry with his kids.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 am

It's a common misconception that oxygen is flammable. Hollywood is largely to blame for that.
Back to top Go down
Rog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 485

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 am

The Other One wrote:

May be junk science like "global warming"; after all, there are studies that say no relation to risk at all.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 am

Rog wrote:
The Other One wrote:

May be junk science like "global warming"; after all, there are studies that say no relation to risk at all.

cheers
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 4:27 pm

lkjhuihiui
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm

smoking is a very hard habit to kick. I use to drink alot, 12 pack to a case a day plus a 5th of jim beam, that was easy to give up now i will just have maybe 10 beers........a year. talk to these AA people and they will say it does not matter how much you drink if even one drop hits your lips your an alcoholic. but smoking I have found is more of a habit that is built into ones daily lifes. I myself smoke and have quit and restarted several times. and through my personal experience a cig is realy craved upon 2 or 3 times a day the rest of the pack is just out of habit. I am not standing up for smoker or non smokers, I am just stating my personal facts. and that if a person has the right to open an alcoholic beverage or speak their mind, or listen to any type of music they have just as much right to light up and smoke. yes there will be people saying what if they smoke in say the mall and it anoys me.....I say big deal you may annoy people yourself but your more then welcome to be in the same area...point is if you don't like something going on in a certain enviroment don't go there. but don't be pushing your needs and wants off onto others. for example I don't like the bussiness practice of walmart....sooooo I don't do business with them....some people don't drink so it comes to no surprise if you don't see them in a liqour store or bar. some people don't like to swim so you won't see them at the pool and so on. I could go on but the way I see it too many people spend too much time worrieing about what others aree doing and not enough time on their own bussiness.
Back to top Go down
Cousin Eddie
Cousin Eddie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I used to only smoke at work but its been 7 years since I had a job and I still smoke.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 pm

I to would vote against a law making smoking illegal. But I would for vote a state wide public smoking ban
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 pm

zeke, I agree. I used to know a guy who constantly complained about cigarettes, yet he wore "Gallons" of the most nauseating musk crap. A room would stink like him even above the smoke. I have known many like him that wear horrid perfumes or colognes, yet we just gotta put up with it and they havn't been banned anywhere.

I agree with some smoking regs, like in a resturant, but not in a bar. Nobody goes to bars for their health. If there's going to be a statewide witch burning, er I mean smoking ban, then I want a witch to burn too. Outlaw stinking perfumes.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:26 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
I to would vote against a law making smoking illegal. But I would for vote a state wide public smoking ban
I wonder what a black market carton of cigarettes would cost?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
zeke, I used to know a guy who constantly complained about cigarettes, yet he wore "Gallons" of the most nauseating musk crap. A room would stink like him even above the smoke.
English Leather? LOL
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 am

hi
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 5:09 am

SciFi wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
zeke, I used to know a guy who constantly complained about cigarettes, yet he wore "Gallons" of the most nauseating musk crap. A room would stink like him even above the smoke.
English Leather? LOL

Not sure what the guy wore, but it literally made your stomach turn. He came in a place I worked and I had to open the doors for air after he left. It was a musk, and it was just overpowering. He was a farmboy so maybe he just had a liking for the smell of shit covered animals.

Another thing that bugs me are these women that will have plug ins, scented candles, potpourri's, etc going all over the house and then they run around with spray cans fumigating everything too. It can take your breath away walking into all that heavy smell, yet nobody worries about exposing their kids to that.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Only Idiots smoke RushLimbaughSmokingCigar
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:12 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:14 pm

At least for a time in business school, he chewed tobacco [22]. (Copenhagen, apparently.)

President Bush smokes "an occasional cigar" [4].

http://www.doctorzebra.com/prez/g43.htm
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Only Idiots smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only Idiots smoke   Only Idiots smoke Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Only Idiots smoke
Page 1 of 1