Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall

Go down 
+4
The Other One
dz724
Ratzilla
robert
8 posters
AuthorMessage
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Empty
PostSubject: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:43 am

Yeah, where's the alcohol related jobs, and the hookers? Those things have been in constant demand since biblical times.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 am

I teach, and neither of my "fields" are on this list... I always thought an elementary sped teacher would be pretty secure. There is all kind of teachers, admin, and sped listed but not elem. sped. I guess it has to do with the fact that there are more elem teachers than other kinds of teachers.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 pm

dz724 wrote:
I teach, and neither of my "fields" are on this list... I always thought an elementary sped teacher would be pretty secure. There is all kind of teachers, admin, and sped listed but not elem. sped. I guess it has to do with the fact that there are more elem teachers than other kinds of teachers.

Would it have anything to do with history, which tells us that state governments are most likely to slash elementary special ed funding first in their budget cutting moves?
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 pm

I don't think that teachers in general have faired very well over the past couple years- especially compared with other gov't jobs. The much-touted "teacher shortage" is long gone... it's now a glut.

Diesel mechanics, on the other hand, are doing pretty well. There were some lay-offs early on as companies panicked... under-achievers were not safe for a while there (don't ya' wish we could say that same for under-achieving teachers?). But between cost-cutting and companies who have no choice but to fix their old junk, we've had a damn profitable year. Hell, I've been getting overtime lately.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Hell Bighead, the price of even newer used vehicles nowdays is rediculous. No damn way I'd pay more for a new pickup or SUV than my house cost. Teachers have had some struggles in different areas. Medicine, and medical supply will always be around to some degree, as will cops, EMT's and fire services.

I sold antiques/collectibles for awhile, but when the antique malls came in it got real competitive and when thousands of collectors decided to buy at local auctions and sell on ebay type auctions it was time to go back to a regular job.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:14 pm

New vehicles are so expensive because the UAW is exempt,...in general
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Bighead wrote:
I don't think that teachers in general have faired very well over the past couple years- especially compared with other gov't jobs. The much-touted "teacher shortage" is long gone... it's now a glut.

wonder what'll happen with the teachers recruited from overseas a few years ago. they still here?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm

The Other One wrote:
dz724 wrote:

Would it have anything to do with history, which tells us that state governments are most likely to slash elementary special ed funding first in their budget cutting moves?

it might; another part of it is that they keep lowering standards for teachers, which allows more to teach with less required of them.

although...

Outlook & Growth
This career is expected to grow 12 percent—about as fast as average—through 2016. This growth will create 479,000 additional teacher positions, more than all but a few occupations.

http://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/elementary-and-middle-school-public-school-teacher
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 pm

robert wrote:

it might; another part of it is that they keep lowering standards for teachers, which allows more to teach with less required of them.

although...

Outlook & Growth
This career is expected to grow 12 percent—about as fast as average—through 2016. This growth will create 479,000 additional teacher positions, more than all but a few occupations.

[url=http://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/elementary-and-middle-school-public-school-teacher
http://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/elementary-and-middle-school-public-school-teacher[/quote[/url]]

The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Confused I guess I was not aware that they had lowered the standards for teachers. I had to get my degree, do several hours of "learning" while student teaching and as an intern, apply for a certificate, take many tests, and get fingerprinted in order to become a teacher. Not to mention the extra work that went into my masters degree/ licensing for special education. Plus, they are constantly expecting us to do more with less. Ever heard of NCLB? Race to the Top? Both are programs that expect us to make adequate progress with students (which every teacher I've ever met wants to do anyway, this is just how they make us show it) while they continue to take millions out of the Education budget.

However, I'm glad to know that there is projected growth, because I fear there will be many a teacher without work in the coming years until we dig out of/ somehow resolve this state deficit problem.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Teachers can boost their earnings by, among other things, coaching sports or extracurricular activities, getting a master’s degree or national certification, or teaching summer school.

these things done to boost earnings are not necessarily required of all.

http://www.geteducated.com/career-center/detail/elementary-and-middle-school-public-school-teacher
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I've done all but the national certification, which I plan on looking into at some point in my career. It would enhance my earnings, but school districts still have to have the funding to make that worth my while. Many districts are freezing their salary schedule to the extent that people who are completing masters degrees aren't getting higher salaries. So I'll wait. In addition, my complaint isn't with earnings- my masters degree has helped my family's well being dramatically (especially because my husband's job was obviously not recession proof). My comments are in regards to finding that my particular field isn't "recession proof", (which I do believe) as well as learning that it is easier than ever to become a teacher (which I do not believe). However, you seem to be changing the subject.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:18 pm

"However, you seem to be changing the subject."

how so? your job is not recession proof in response from a lowering of standards. one report i read said they had lowered the required grade point average of teachers accepted into the pool in order to increase the pool by 10% to ease the stress caused by the teacher shortage. In that same article it points out that private schools have no state enforced requirements placed on their teachers and after a satisfactory completion of a one year probationary period they may become "licensed" teachers. at that point they can actually laterally transfer into the system at large. I can get a BA at some cheesy online religious college fairly simply, receive licensing to teach and then teach in all kinds of subjects that i may only have a precursory knowledge of simply by using the loopholes enacted to allow positions to be filled by underqualified applicants in favor of the more urgent need of having a teacher. The teachers organizations by and large support these policies, how it plays out in real life is altogether different. hard to recession proof a job they will seemingly let anyone do.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:20 pm

i mean no insult by that either. its just that your "industry" representatives are enacting policies that aren't protective of your occupation.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
You can be an assistant teacher with an associates degree in Early Childhood Education Technology. To be a lead teacher, you will need to have an associates degree but you will have to take continuing education towards your bachelors degree. The lead teacher jobs are very difficult to obtain unless you have a Batchelors ( Laughing ) in Eary Childhoold Education, Marriage and Family Studies, or a teaching certificate for Elementary Education. The lead teacher jobs pay alot more than private preschools so they can afford to look for the highly skilled professionals to fill the available positions. By the way, the CDA diploma isn't worth very much these days since there are so many "diploma mills" out there practically selling these degrees to anyone who can afford them. While you are in school, make sure you have terrific grades in English (heh heh), Psychology, and Oral Communications (Speech) and any other academics. The center directors at the quality programs are definately ( Laughing ) going to look at those grades on your transcripts.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsnYiguTLxZF2DG89WLNw9zKxQt.;_ylv=3?qid=20080627071840AA96bs2

he/she seems to be an "insider"

Source(s):
Working on my Masters Degree in Marriage and Family Studies. I also have an AA in Early Childhood Education Technology.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 pm

robert wrote:
i mean no insult by that either. its just that your "industry" representatives are enacting policies that aren't protective of your occupation.

So what bobby is saying is that you need to go back to school and learn to be a diesel mechanic.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm

The Other One wrote:
robert wrote:

So what bobby is saying is that you need to go back to school and learn to be a diesel mechanic.

actually, if i loved teaching i would fight it out with the union people and get them to stop putting membership rolls ahead of a good quality union providing for the members it has.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Well this is going to turn out to be lengthy...
robert wrote:

No insult was taken, I just did not feel that you backed up your comment about lowering standards. until now that is Wink
robert wrote:
your job is not recession proof in response from a lowering of standards. one report i read said they had lowered the required grade point average of teachers accepted into the pool in order to increase the pool by 10% to ease the stress caused by the teacher shortage. In that same article it points out that private schools have no state enforced requirements placed on their teachers and after a satisfactory completion of a one year probationary period they may become "licensed" teachers. at that point they can actually laterally transfer into the system at large. I can get a BA at some cheesy online religious college fairly simply, receive licensing to teach and then teach in all kinds of subjects that i may only have a precursory knowledge of simply by using the loopholes enacted to allow positions to be filled by underqualified applicants in favor of the more urgent need of having a teacher. The teachers organizations by and large support these policies, how it plays out in real life is altogether different. hard to recession proof a job they will seemingly let anyone do.

I disagree with this on many levels, they may have reduced the entrance GPA, but I’d venture to say that other majors have done the same when faced with a shortage. Many employers still look at GPA, and if it does not meet standards, they will not interview you let alone hire you. I have never read anything by the state of KS department of education that says that you can get licensed to teach in KS by serving one year “probation” as you call it, in a private school. I just finished my relicensure process, and I did not read anything about it in the MANY forms I completed. In addition, from what I understand, it is quite difficult to reenter the public education field after going to a private sector even if you are licensed through a normal route (college, student teaching, tests etc.). I am an active member of KNEA, and I do not believe that KNEA as an organization supports those policies, but I intend to look into it. Yes they look at how to get more young people into teaching and ultimately to join KNEA, as we are only as strong as our members, but in my eyes as an insider, I feel as though it is the lawmakers that are making teaching a difficult career to sustain, whereas KNEA is doing their best to protect us.

robert wrote:
You can be an assistant teacher with an associates degree in Early Childhood Education Technology. To be a lead teacher, you will need to have an associates degree but you will have to take continuing education towards your bachelors degree. The lead teacher jobs are very difficult to obtain unless you have a Batchelors ( ) in Eary Childhoold Education, Marriage and Family Studies, or a teaching certificate for Elementary Education. The lead teacher jobs pay alot more than private preschools so they can afford to look for the highly skilled professionals to fill the available positions. By the way, the CDA diploma isn't worth very much these days since there are so many "diploma mills" out there practically selling these degrees to anyone who can afford them. While you are in school, make sure you have terrific grades in English (heh heh), Psychology, and Oral Communications (Speech) and any other academics. The center directors at the quality programs are definately ( ) going to look at those grades on your transcripts.

It is not fair to compare Early Childhood to the rest of the education system as it is not mandated in the same means; therefore, unless you are providing special education or related services to children with special needs, the qualifications can be different. I don’t think that wherever you got this particular article from is worthwhile, but that is my opinion, and I don’t expect you to agree with me on that.

The Other One wrote:

Don’t think I haven’t considered it Smile
robert wrote:
actually, if i loved teaching i would fight it out with the union people and get them to stop putting membership rolls ahead of a good quality union providing for the members it has.

I do love teaching, and as I’ve mentioned I’m an active member in our Local teacher’s union as well as KNEA at the state level. I believe that KNEA does have educators’ needs and best interests at heart, however, they are not getting much help from the government’s elected officials, which is why I got involved.

I do have to say Robert that I’ve enjoyed the conversation on the topic, however, I don’t think your sources are adequately reflecting the state of education as a whole. I’m sure that some of what you are saying happens in parts of the country from time to time. I can’t say that I agree with it, and I do my best to make sure that the practices that I’m using with my students is “best practice”, and would like to think that most others in my field do the same. I know that is not the case. Personally, I take pride in the quality of education that I received from FHSU, and feel that I came out of both of my teacher education programs prepped for the classroom as much as anyone can be, so hopefully, my skill as a teacher will help ME to be recession proof as an elementary special ed teacher, even though my fields as a whole are not.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 am

"my skill as a teacher will help ME to be recession proof as an elementary special ed teacher, even though my fields as a whole are not."

and there ya go... nothing quite like being the best person for the job.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 am

in my reading travels i have come across some things you might like to read....

Teacher Licensing in U.S. Public Schools:
The Case for Simplicity and Flexibility

http://web.missouri.edu/~podgurskym/papers_presentations/wp/Podgursky_pje_paper_2.pdf

The state's teacher shortage has forced dozens of districts to hire more teachers from elsewhere. Local
school leaders have pressed the legislature to ease licensing requirements for those out-of-state
teachers.
But Easley said Thursday that the measure threatens to erode hard-won progress in the state's public
schools.
"This bill reduces the North Carolina teaching standards to the lowest in the nation," he said before
wielding his veto stamp in public for the first time. "It cheats our children out of a quality education and
dishonestly classifies unqualified teachers as highly qualified."
He said the bill also would limit the authority of the State Board of Education to certify teachers

http://www.nctq.org/nctq/research/1129040800176.pdf

Sixteen other states require teachers to pass the commercially available PRAXIS I, but each state chooses its own passing grade, and for years, Virginia's has been the highest in the nation. As a result, there have been yearly horror stories from beloved teachers who find themselves unlicensed when they could not pass the test after three years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/22/AR2005062202109.html

By James Carlson

THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Kansas teachers and superintendents on Tuesday asked the Kansas State Board of Education to relax the standards for out-of-state teachers to become licensed.

While some opponents of the proposed changes say they don't want to water down the certification process, others say the bureaucratic red tape inhibits hiring passionate teachers to fill high-need positions.

"It's not a matter of lowering standards," said Bill Wilson, superintendent of Unified School District 200 in Greeley County. "It's a matter of finding the best person for the job if we can find anyone."

Wilson called the current teacher shortages a "crisis." A recent opening in his district for a mathematics teacher elicited one applicant. The district hired that Colorado-certified teacher, but because of the strict requirements, the teacher will have to take eight more credit hours to become licensed in Kansas, Wilson said.

"In a metropolitan area, you have backups," he said. "In our rural area, if we can't find a Spanish teacher, we don't have Spanish."

The proposed changes would remove a requirement for out-of-state teachers, even those with years of experience, to have earned a 2.5 grade-point average in college. Teachers would still have to pass an exam in their subject before obtaining a license.

The new policy also would allow a licensed teacher with an endorsement in one science subject to teach another subject by passing the state's content exam.

The board is scheduled to vote on the requirements today.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20070613/ai_n19288742/
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Bad Tests, Good Outcomes: Using State Teacher Licensing Scores to Improve the Curriculum, Help Students Meet Their Professional Goals, and Keep Relationships Together

Educational psychologist Lloyd Bond has developed a schema for thinking about testing and how to help students. In his two-by-two diagram, there are four groups we need to account for. There is one group of students who are both have the skills to pass the test, as well as the skills to teach. Another group is not able to teach, but is able to pass the test. Members of the third group are able to teach, but not pass the test, and a final group is able to do neither. Departmental efforts need to focus on the third group—those who simply need help in test-taking skills or content holes. Advising efforts need to help those in the fourth group out of their programs and to identify areas they have talents in (for a truly excellent summary, see Bond, 2006).

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ht/42.1/olwell.html
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

robert wrote:

There is one group of students who are both have the skills to pass the test, as well as the skills to teach.

really?
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:21 pm

suzyr wrote:
robert wrote:

There is one group of students who are both, have the skills to pass the test, as well as the skills to teach.

really?
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:22 pm

suzyr wrote:
robert wrote:

There is one group of students who are both; have the skills to pass the test, as well as the skills to teach.

really?

or maybe...
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 pm

much better... who proofreads these things?
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:30 pm

microsoft word?
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks Robert, I'll look into those articles, and ask some questions around KNEA people... I'm all intrigued.
Back to top Go down
zeke
Rookie
Rookie
zeke

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 am

hi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall   The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 150 Best Recession-Proof Jobs Overall
Page 1 of 1