Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Another Nice Guy

Go down 
+4
dz724
Cousin Eddie
robert
The Other One
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

KCTV wrote:
News flash about about Chiefs Coach Todd Haley - the man known for his confrontational style has a softer side.

Brian Mondaine says he saw it first-hand Saturday morning waiting at a Kansas City bus stop.

He says Coach Haley came up to him, said anyone waiting at a bus stop the day after Christmas deserves this - and handed him a stack of twenty-dollar bills.

Mondaine says he was touched by the gesture and wanted to thank Haley. Asked about it at his news conference, Haley said he is grateful for all he has and wants to do what he can to help others.

Mondaine says he'd love to do something in return - offering to spend time on the sidelines as a waterboy!
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 pm

lol... he gave away his welfare check....
Back to top Go down
Cousin Eddie
Cousin Eddie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Hot damn!!! I'm sending Bobbi Sue to hang out at bus stops in KC this weekend.
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Number of posts : 919
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 pm

I've been pretty impressed with Haley myself, and I am NOT a chiefs fan. But I'm probably closer to becoming one than I ever thought I would be.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 am

dz724 wrote:
I am NOT a chiefs fan. But I'm probably closer to becoming one than I ever thought I would be.

There's probably an antibiotic for that. Check with your doctor.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 am

dz724 wrote:
I've been pretty impressed with Haley myself, and I am NOT a chiefs fan. But I'm probably closer to becoming one than I ever thought I would be.

Seriously, this is not about him being the coach of the Chiefs. It's about him being a decent human being and voluntarily sharing what he has with those who don't have as much.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:46 am

KCTV wrote:
Mondaine says he'd love to do something in return - offering to spend time on the sidelines as a waterboy!

You have Mr Mondain. You have alot of sports fans talking about what a great guy the coach is. He'll likely profit 100 fold for it.

So why not give money to some bag lady who didn't even have money to ride a bus? Probably because she'd never talk to reporters. Smile
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 8:45 am

robert wrote:
lol... he gave away his welfare check....
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 9:29 am

Why so cynical?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:02 am

sick of welfare queens. pro sports is a big offender.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 am

Not everyone has a hidden agenda.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 10:53 am

suzyr wrote:

He's just used to his liberal friends.

Moderate...yeah, right. bobby's about as moderate as Bernie Sanders.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 11:26 am

what could be more conservatively moderate than not liking the subsidization of sports with tax dollars?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 pm

suzyr wrote:
Why so cynical?

suzyr wrote:

Would you say that if it were a liberal from Hollywood doing this, or would you automatically assume it was a publicity stunt?

I'm cynical for the reason I stated. The photo I saw of Mondain showed him wearing a Chiefs hat. He didn't hand a bunch of $20's to some bag lady who didn't know him or do it anonymously. I just got a feeling he knew the story would get out. Might have even orchestrated it.

What I find admirable is whoever is dropping $100 bills or Krugerrands in Salvation Army kettles without ever revealing their identity.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 8:37 pm

I don't care who it was, Ratz. How do you know he had a Chiefs hat on when he gave the guy the money? I didn't see any surveillance cameras documenting the deed. It doesn't matter to me, anyway. Somebody who has more, gave to someone who has less. Simple as that. So, maybe I'm naive... maybe I'd like to see a kind act as just that... a kind act. Sometimes, that's all it boils down to.

Have a good night, Ratz. No hidden agenda, just wishing you a safe New Year's eve.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 2:13 am

Might have just been a nice act. Great if it was. I'm just saying that if I were the coach and were really wanting to be charitable, it would be to someone truly needy with no money, not just one of my fans at a bus stop.

Happy New Year suzy Very Happy

I am really curious about one thing though. How does standing at a bus stop the day after Christmas translate to needing/deserving charity?
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Who knows.

You know, I wouldn't know that guy from Adam. He may have done something like this every year in other cities, but by recently becoming the head coach, he's recognizable. I don't know what he did with other teams - job wise - (frankly, I don't care as I think sports are a colossal waste of time), but in those lesser positions, Joe Blow on the street may not have known who he was, to say he gave him a wad of money.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 pm

suzyr wrote:
Who knows.

You know, I wouldn't know that guy from Adam. He may have done something like this every year in other cities, but by recently becoming the head coach, he's recognizable. I don't know what he did with other teams - job wise - (frankly, I don't care as I think sports are a colossal waste of time), but in those lesser positions, Joe Blow on the street may not have known who he was, to say he gave him a wad of money.

He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals before being hired by the Chiefs. And Ratzo, why would you assume that the guy was wearing a Chiefs hat when Haley stopped to give him the money? Obviously if he went to the media to say "thank you" publicly, they would dress him up for the photo op, especially the local media with a local team.

I remember about 20 years ago, a ten-year-old boy from Guymon, OK had his arm torn off in a farm accident while he was helping with harvest. He was taken to a hospital in Denver to reattach the arm. While he was there, John Elway went to visit him. He asked the boy who his favorite football player was, and the boy replied that it was Dan Marino. Elway got on the phone and told Marino about about it, and Marino hopped a plane to Denver and visited the kid himself. Would there be some hidden agenda in brightening a kid's day and possibly lifting his spirits enough to speed his recovery?

Ease up on the sports figure bashing. Most of them are great people.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:15 pm

I'll ease up on sports figure bashing if you quit "assuming" every democrat is evil incarnate. And I already said if it's real, it's great. That isn't exactly a bash. And I'm not bashing anyways, just thinking it odd that some guy waiting for a bus would seem so needy. I thought I saw a pic of Mondaine wearing a Chiefs hat, but can't find it now. So unless I see it again I'll forget that part.

I've already heard others wondering about this, not because he's a coach, but because it really seems odd. Here's a guy known for jackass behavior who's been told he needs to work on his image.

Then he hands a stack of $20's over to a man at a bus stop. Not a homeless man huddled in a cardboard box. Not a scrawny child in ragged clothing. Not a man whose car has broken down beside the road. He gives it to a burley man who looks more like one of his players who doesn't appear to miss dinner often. Then this man runs right to the media with the story. Just sounds fishy.

And comparing this incident to Marino making a visit to a kid in a hospital who'd nearly lost his arm AND told Elway that Marino was his favorite player is like a leap from here to the moon. Going to see sick kids has been done alot. Handing out cash to guys that look like one of your linebackers isn't typical.

I heard one sports reporter said maybe he was feeling guilty and handing back the fans ticket money. LOL
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:21 pm

The Other One wrote:
dz724 wrote:

Seriously, this is not about him being the coach of the Chiefs. It's about him being a decent human being and voluntarily sharing what he has with those who don't have as much.

I agree... I should have said that I've been pretty impressed with Haley all around. I do think he is a decent human being. I would almost go as far to say that he seems to be a real "stand up" guy. If I remember right his family uprooted and moved to KC almost immediately after he accepted the job so that they could get to know the people of KC and make it their home. I think that says something. In addition, I like the the way he presents himself in interviews and what not, however, most of what I know about him does have to do with the Chiefs, aside from this new story. That's why I stated it the way I did.
Ratz- I think he's passionate about what he does. Which would account for the behavior that may be less than desireable on the sidelines, but I guess coaches yelling at players doesn't seem like a stretch to me. I'm sure others will disagree, but to me he seems to be a genuine person. He is pretty honest about what is going on with the chiefs. IMO.

Happy New Year!
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to think, just making observations. Things seem odd here. Usually these things are found out from a third party. Like if Mondaine was telling his pals at the bar, or his co-workers about it and one of them shared the story. And like I say, Mondain is a husky well fed guy, he doesn't look like a hardship case to me.
Back to top Go down
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:34 pm

I might be skeptical if Bobby Knight did something like this, but not Todd Haley.

What difference does this guy's weight have to do with it? Does it matter if he's had to skip a few meals or if he has his dessert? Maybe Haley decided to give the money to the first person he saw, rather than circling the block looking for a kid dressed in rags during a blizzard or some scrawny person. Why not give to someone with a work ethic?

Maybe Mondaine's friends/co-workers encouraged him to go to the media to share his story to show that there are good people out there. There are too many depressing news stories out there...it's nice to hear something positive every now and then.

Besides, it's Kansas City. Most of the city's residents have something Chiefs-related in their possession. Shoot, if Haley gave me a wad of cash, I'd be on the news with my Chiefs canvas bag from Hyvee.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Oz wrote:
I might be skeptical if Bobby Knight did something like this, but not Todd Haley.

What difference does this guy's weight have to do with it? Does it matter if he's had to skip a few meals or if he has his dessert? Maybe Haley decided to give the money to the first person he saw, rather than circling the block looking for a kid dressed in rags during a blizzard or some scrawny person. Why not give to someone with a work ethic?

Maybe Mondaine's friends/co-workers encouraged him to go to the media to share his story to show that there are good people out there. There are too many depressing news stories out there...it's nice to hear something positive every now and then.

Besides, it's Kansas City. Most of the city's residents have something Chiefs-related in their possession. Shoot, if Haley gave me a wad of cash, I'd be on the news with my Chiefs canvas bag from Hyvee.

That would be funny to watch and see your hubby's reaction lol! affraid
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:47 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
Oz wrote:

I'd be beside her with my Broncos sweatshirt on.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm

The Other One wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:
Oz wrote:

I'd be beside her with my Broncos sweatshirt on.

I take comfort in after the ravens beat my Raiders they will knock the JACKASSES out of the playoffs!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:33 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
I take comfort in after the ravens beat my Raiders they will knock the JACKASSES out of the playoffs!!!!!!!!

nfl.com wrote:
CLINCHING SCENARIO: Broncos clinch playoff berth with DEN win + 1) NYJ loss + losses by BAL or PIT, OR 2) NYJ loss + HOU win, OR 3) BAL loss + PIT loss or HOU win. Broncos can clinch berth with DEN loss any combination of losses by 1) PIT + BAL + HOU + JAC, OR 2) PIT + BAL + HOU + NYJ, OR 3) PIT + BAL + JAC + NYJ, OR 4) PIT + HOU + JAC + NYJ, OR 5) MIA + NYJ + BAL + HOU + JAC.

Got all that?
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 pm

The Other One wrote:
slickjay12 wrote:

nfl.com wrote:
CLINCHING SCENARIO: Broncos clinch playoff berth with DEN win + 1) NYJ loss + losses by BAL or PIT, OR 2) NYJ loss + HOU win, OR 3) BAL loss + PIT loss or HOU win. Broncos can clinch berth with DEN loss any combination of losses by 1) PIT + BAL + HOU + JAC, OR 2) PIT + BAL + HOU + NYJ, OR 3) PIT + BAL + JAC + NYJ, OR 4) PIT + HOU + JAC + NYJ, OR 5) MIA + NYJ + BAL + HOU + JAC.

Got all that?

no but the one thing I am pretty sure of is the Ravens win the whole issue is only if the Ravens lose then the JACKASSES have a chance all be very very slim plus it all starts with the JACKASSES winning and thats not a given. On second thought I just remembered the Jackasses are playing the worst team in the league so they better win.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:58 pm

What they need to happen is for them to win, Cincinnati to win and either Miami or Houston to win.

I think we hijacked the thread, but it was turning into a stupid argument anyway.
Back to top Go down
Cousin Eddie
Cousin Eddie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 12:42 am

That whole thing about clinching made my head hurt. I need another beer.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 4:29 am

Oz wrote:

All of your what if's are possible too. If everyone quit whining that I'm insulting a sports figure you'd all see that I never said it couldn't be real, just that it seems funny to me. And that's not very nice of you to assume Bobby Knight couldn't do it too.

Point is, you think it'd be out of character for Knight to do it, but none of you think I have a right to my opinion because it's not yours. I really don't care . Happy New Year. Smile
Back to top Go down
dz724
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 10:34 pm

I don't remember anyone saying you didn't have the right to think the way you do, I for one was just offering reasons that I disagree. No disrespect intended.
Back to top Go down
Oz
Rookie
Rookie
Oz

Number of posts : 272

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 am

dz724 wrote:
I don't remember anyone saying you didn't have the right to think the way you do, I for one was just offering reasons that I disagree. No disrespect intended.

Me, too. Public discourse and all that jazz.

TheOtherOne wrote:
I think we hijacked the thread, but it was turning into a stupid argument anyway..

Yes, well, I just want to say: COLTS FOR THE WIN!
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 1:43 am

Oz wrote:
dz724 wrote:

Me, too. Public discourse and all that jazz.

TheOtherOne wrote:
I think we hijacked the thread, but it was turning into a stupid argument anyway..

Yes, well, I just want to say: COLTS FOR THE WIN!

The Colts are in a completely meaningless game at Buffalo tomorrow. They'll probably rest their starters again like they did last week. The playoffs start next weekend. Guarantee you the Colts won't win in the first round.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 2:07 am

dz724 wrote:

I took no disrespect. Nobody said it outright, I was just accused of bashing sports. And of course sports and being a republican are the only two things that matter to some. Another Nice Guy 58289 Smile

And I really do think it'd be nice if the story happened just like it was reported. Lots of athletes and other celebrities have done some damn nice things. I just suspect it may have been a little PR work in this case, and maybe he purposely picked someone who looked like he might spread word around a sports bar.

Maybe his PR man will advise him to look for somebody dumpster diving behind Pizza Hut next time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another Nice Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Nice Guy   Another Nice Guy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Nice Guy
Page 1 of 1