Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Solar Roadways

Go down 
+3
Justoo
Ratzilla
robert
7 posters
AuthorMessage
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:39 am

Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 am

i just don't see how the surface can be constructed to be both clear enough to allow for full absorption of sunlight yet abrasive enough to aid traction.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 11:30 am

Interesting idea, but how far in the future? And I wonder too just how they can make glass to do the job.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:08 pm

robert wrote:
i just don't see how the surface can be constructed to be both clear enough to allow for full absorption of sunlight yet abrasive enough to aid traction.

A series of pyramid shapes built into the surface should aid in traction and collection of rays.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:27 pm

and removal of tire rubber...
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 pm

If they were no bigger than the bumps inside of your tail lights I don't think it would be any more abrsive than asphalt.
Back to top Go down
alg8tr
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
alg8tr

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Convection?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Justoo wrote:
If they were no bigger than the bumps inside of your tail lights I don't think it would be any more abrsive than asphalt.

i'm still skeptical. even if the friction were negligible and removed only tiny fractions of rubber, in high traffic areas i still see this as a problem. in addition i'm seeing a potential for "black soled shoe on gym floor" effect as well.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Number of posts : 1539
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:30 am

It's a fun idea and all, but I think the biggest hurdle would be making the material durable enough for a roadway... solar cells are pretty fragile. Not many transluscent materials would make a decent roadbed. And the more you cover the cells (i.e. the better the road bed), the less effective they are. I just don't see it happening.

I will, however, share a vision for the roadway of tomorrow that Marfark and I came up with on a long drive through Kansas (B&M's Future Highway):

The goals for this project are increases fuel efficiency, mobility equal to or greater than current transportation modes, and minimal implementation costs, utilizing existing technology. I can elaborate if ya'll want, but I reckon the reasoning behind these goals is obvious enough.

Two obvious areas where current automotive technology can make HUGE gains is in aerodynamics and engine volumetric efficiency.

Aerodymaics are easy to demonstrate- just watch NASCAR. Any hick worth his skoal will tell you that you can get more speed (more safely, and with the same amount of power) by 'drafting'. In effect, aerodynamically couple two vehicles, you have the power of two vehicles with the aerodynamic profile of one (at least that's what drafting approximates). Less drag means that the two (or three or however many) cars in question can go faster. The same principle applies to fuel economy- less drag results in less fuel burned. This effect was demonstrated on Mythbusters a couple years ago by 'drafting' a semi.

Volumetric efficiency won't be as obvious to most of you semi-literates... but suffice to say that internal combustion engines (whether gas or diesel, piston, or rotary, etc) are not running at full power when at cruise RPM- hence the combustion chamber doesn't reach maximum pressure an efficiency. In theory, a smaller engine that's working harder will get much better fuel economy than a large engine that's lazily cruizing along- power output and drag being equal. It's akin to comparing a high-compression engine with a low-compression engine. All other things equal, the high-compression engine is inherently more efficient. This has been addressed in a couple different ways that I'm aware of (by either shutting off cylinders or varying engine displacement via a highly unconventional design), with very little practical success.

B&M's Future Highway addresses both issues using existing technology, with no major re-design of current vehicle configurations or roadways required.

Now, most of ya'll farmers will be aware that sattelite guidance systems exist that can automatically steer a tractor or combine withing just a few inches if its target path. No reason one couldn't mount on a heavy truck (a semi, if you will). Ya'll will also be aware of more common consumer-level GPS systems, crash-avoidance, and automatic parking systems. All are common enough, and can be adapted for highway use.

Using this system, combined with current automotive and heavy truck designs, I propose that we just hitch them all together. I know I'm not the only one who's wished that I could just latch onto the truck in front of me and take a nap while the lovely scenery of Kansas rolls by. With all the pulling being done by the truck engine, it will be running at increased volumetric efficiency- and combined fuel mileage of the truck and attached vehicle(s) will be MUCH greater than the average fuel mileage of each individual vehicle each inefficiently operating it own engine. The only 'new' technlology required here would be a 'hitch' that can be coupled and uncoupled at highway speed.

Now, I know what you're thinking- and it's a valid concern. That truck driver isn't going to do this for free. Of course not- he should MAKE MONEY for towing your lazy ass across the state. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of trucking outfits that run regular routes down the I-70 corridor- not to mention thousands of automobiles. Lots of these loads are ALREADY standardized. The load weight is a known quantity, as is the legal gross weight of the truck. A simple software integratred with the sattelite guidance could easily calculate how many vehicles could be safely pulled by a given truck with a given load. As a contractor with Bighead's Futurehighway Service, Bob's Trucking will be paid a few cents per mile for each vehicle towed. And you, as a subscriber to Bighead's Futurehighway Service, will pay a few cents per mile to latch on... it'll be a little cheaper than buying your own gas- but with the added benefit of being able to take a nap. Just log onto Bighead.com, and you'll see a schedule (with interactive map) of every 'node' (truck') coming along the highway. Simply enter the comand into your On-Star system, and your car will be automatically guided to the nearest node. When you wish to get off at a particular exit, simply choose it on your laptop screen, and you will be de-coupled (with appropriate notice) so that you can stop and pee. The next node will be available in ten minutes.

Lawyer Speak: Bighead Technology assumes no liability for stupidity on your part when coupld and decoupling from a node. Proper operation and maintenance of participating vehicles is the owner's responsibility and at the owner's expense. Malfunctioning vehicles will be disengaged from the 'train' if and only if appropriate notice has been given and acknowledged. Should notice to disengage or acknowledgement of notice to disengage prove impossible due to technical difficulties, the vehicle operator, by connecting to your friendly Bighead Bandwagon, agrees to pay towing mileage until the next convenient stop.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:45 am

"but with the added benefit of being able to take a nap"

You seen the way a lot of them drive nowadays?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 am

Bighead wrote:
It's a fun idea and all, but I think the biggest hurdle would be making the material durable enough for a roadway... solar cells are pretty fragile. Not many transluscent materials would make a decent roadbed. And the more you cover the cells (i.e. the better the road bed), the less effective they are. I just don't see it happening.

I will, however, share a vision for the roadway of tomorrow that Marfark and I came up with on a long drive through Kansas (B&M's Future Highway):

The goals for this project are increases fuel efficiency, mobility equal to or greater than current transportation modes, and minimal implementation costs, utilizing existing technology. I can elaborate if ya'll want, but I reckon the reasoning behind these goals is obvious enough.

Two obvious areas where current automotive technology can make HUGE gains is in aerodynamics and engine volumetric efficiency.

Aerodymaics are easy to demonstrate- just watch NASCAR. Any hick worth his skoal will tell you that you can get more speed (more safely, and with the same amount of power) by 'drafting'. In effect, aerodynamically couple two vehicles, you have the power of two vehicles with the aerodynamic profile of one (at least that's what drafting approximates). Less drag means that the two (or three or however many) cars in question can go faster. The same principle applies to fuel economy- less drag results in less fuel burned. This effect was demonstrated on Mythbusters a couple years ago by 'drafting' a semi.

Volumetric efficiency won't be as obvious to most of you semi-literates... but suffice to say that internal combustion engines (whether gas or diesel, piston, or rotary, etc) are not running at full power when at cruise RPM- hence the combustion chamber doesn't reach maximum pressure an efficiency. In theory, a smaller engine that's working harder will get much better fuel economy than a large engine that's lazily cruizing along- power output and drag being equal. It's akin to comparing a high-compression engine with a low-compression engine. All other things equal, the high-compression engine is inherently more efficient. This has been addressed in a couple different ways that I'm aware of (by either shutting off cylinders or varying engine displacement via a highly unconventional design), with very little practical success.

B&M's Future Highway addresses both issues using existing technology, with no major re-design of current vehicle configurations or roadways required.

Now, most of ya'll farmers will be aware that sattelite guidance systems exist that can automatically steer a tractor or combine withing just a few inches if its target path. No reason one couldn't mount on a heavy truck (a semi, if you will). Ya'll will also be aware of more common consumer-level GPS systems, crash-avoidance, and automatic parking systems. All are common enough, and can be adapted for highway use.

Using this system, combined with current automotive and heavy truck designs, I propose that we just hitch them all together. I know I'm not the only one who's wished that I could just latch onto the truck in front of me and take a nap while the lovely scenery of Kansas rolls by. With all the pulling being done by the truck engine, it will be running at increased volumetric efficiency- and combined fuel mileage of the truck and attached vehicle(s) will be MUCH greater than the average fuel mileage of each individual vehicle each inefficiently operating it own engine. The only 'new' technlology required here would be a 'hitch' that can be coupled and uncoupled at highway speed.

Now, I know what you're thinking- and it's a valid concern. That truck driver isn't going to do this for free. Of course not- he should MAKE MONEY for towing your lazy ass across the state. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of trucking outfits that run regular routes down the I-70 corridor- not to mention thousands of automobiles. Lots of these loads are ALREADY standardized. The load weight is a known quantity, as is the legal gross weight of the truck. A simple software integratred with the sattelite guidance could easily calculate how many vehicles could be safely pulled by a given truck with a given load. As a contractor with Bighead's Futurehighway Service, Bob's Trucking will be paid a few cents per mile for each vehicle towed. And you, as a subscriber to Bighead's Futurehighway Service, will pay a few cents per mile to latch on... it'll be a little cheaper than buying your own gas- but with the added benefit of being able to take a nap. Just log onto Bighead.com, and you'll see a schedule (with interactive map) of every 'node' (truck') coming along the highway. Simply enter the comand into your On-Star system, and your car will be automatically guided to the nearest node. When you wish to get off at a particular exit, simply choose it on your laptop screen, and you will be de-coupled (with appropriate notice) so that you can stop and pee. The next node will be available in ten minutes.

Lawyer Speak: Bighead Technology assumes no liability for stupidity on your part when coupld and decoupling from a node. Proper operation and maintenance of participating vehicles is the owner's responsibility and at the owner's expense. Malfunctioning vehicles will be disengaged from the 'train' if and only if appropriate notice has been given and acknowledged. Should notice to disengage or acknowledgement of notice to disengage prove impossible due to technical difficulties, the vehicle operator, by connecting to your friendly Bighead Bandwagon, agrees to pay towing mileage until the next convenient stop.

You ever pulled two or more anhydrous tanks in high wind?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:52 am

[quote="Bighead"]It's a fun idea and all, but I think the biggest hurdle would be making the material durable enough for a roadway... solar cells are pretty fragile. Not many transluscent materials would make a decent roadbed. And the more you cover the cells (i.e. the better the road bed), the less effective they are. I just don't see it happening./quote]

Materials are available. Cost would be the biggest hurdle.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:54 am

Quote :
You ever pulled two or more anhydrous tanks in high wind?
Yes I have... van trailers, too.

It's a good point, but the Bighead system will necessarily control your vehicle's steering when you hook up. Preventing trailer 'whip' should be simple enough with the right software.

Quote :
Materials are available. Cost would be the biggest hurdle.

Same can be said of most proposed solutions that have come along. No reason we can't have both... solar roads and the Bighead System.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 12:59 am

To give credit where it's due, a similar idea was proposed in Popular mechanics a decade or two ago- their idea at the time was to put magnetic 'markers' along the white line. Cars would follow the markers and 'draft' to save fuel- also enabling much higher speeds. The Bighead Superhighway simply takes this to the next level, while utilizing existing technology.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:11 am

why not just go mag lev?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 am

Bighead wrote:
the Bighead system will necessarily control your vehicle's steering when you hook up. Preventing trailer 'whip' should be simple enough with the right software..

Windows 7?

Bighead wrote:
solar roads and the Bighead System.

Solar panels on your head?

lol!
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:18 am

Quote :
why not just go mag lev?

'Cause we Americans like our individual mobility. Not to mention the massive investment in infrastructure required for maglev.

Light rail has worked well in other parts of the world, but it's been a boondoggle here in the U.S., largely for cultural reasons IMO. Maybe rather than trying (and failing) to change the culture, we can work WITH it.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:20 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
Bighead wrote:
the Bighead system will necessarily control your vehicle's steering when you hook up. Preventing trailer 'whip' should be simple enough with the right software..

Windows 7?

Bighead wrote:
solar roads and the Bighead System.

Solar panels on your head?

lol!

I gather that you won't be an investor.

That's ok... others scoffed at Google.

Heh.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:25 am

Sorry, but no. I wont put the fate of my family's life in the hands of technology that I do not control. Especially after what happened on tuesday night south of Hoxie.
Back to top Go down
Bighead
All Star
All Star
Bighead

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:28 am

You do it every day to some extent.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:38 am

Bighead wrote:
You do it every day to some extent.

I do alot of things every day to some extent, but the key is in the measure to which said extent is taken.
Back to top Go down
robert
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
robert

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:42 am

i just don't think it would be "safe" enough to interest me...
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:53 am

robert wrote:
i just don't think it would be "safe" enough to interest me...

I agree. Too much of today's world involves sitting back and letting technology take control. Everyone should learn to drive in a 1960's pickup with manual gearbox and steering. It teaches concentration.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 7:52 am

And how to change the frackin tire.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Bighead wrote:

I can see it now. A hostile nation learns how to send a jamming signal, or a normal system failure happens and a million Amercan vehicles are suddenly controlled by no one.

As to glass roadways, I just can't believe they'd be durable enough long term, and I see alot of potential for problems. Dirt or squashed insects clogging up the surface. extreme temperature changes causing cracking, oil+glass is like wet ice, etc.

I do like the idea of lighted road borders though. When you turn off of the Bypass at Hays to go onto 8th street that turn has always been hard to see at night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Solar Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Re: Solar Roadways   Solar Roadways Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solar Roadways
Page 1 of 1