Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Since not everyone was Jackson.

Go down 
+2
Blackie Kuhn
Ratzilla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Since not everyone was Jackson. Empty
PostSubject: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 7:35 pm

I thought I'd post a link to look at who else has died so far in 2009. Quite a number of celebrity deaths this year, but very few made the news much. Glad to see that in this list Jackson is no more important than James Whitmore, or the gal who played Wally Cleaver's girlfriend.

List here
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Interesting site. I didn't know Pat Hingle died,what a loss..He will be missed.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 am

I didn't know he did either. And I remember him from lots of shows. Everywhere from playing Doc Adams temporary replacement on Gunsmoke, to Twilight Zone, to being Commisioner Gordon in the Batman movies. From the 50's through recent years he was one of the most employed actors out there. A great actor for sure, but probably not enough of a freak for the media to notice.

I see the little blonde girl with the spit curls off the Our Gang shows is gone too. When I was about 7 or 8 I thought she was hot stuff. LOL.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 12:43 am

Ratzilla wrote:
From the 50's through recent years he was one of the most employed actors out there.
An impressive filmography and list of appearances, that's for sure. I think I remember him best in Hang'em High.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 am

Holy crap, I was just reading about Betsy Blair on that site. Here's a couple quotes.

Quote :
Beginning in the late 1940s, Blair took parts in "The Guilt of Janet Ames," and "A Double Life." But her movie career stalled after her enthusiasm for leftist causes landed her on Hollywood`s blacklist.

"To be very left-wing in Hollywood was to work for the unions, to work for the blacks, the ordinary things that are social democratic principles," Blair told Britain`s The Guardian newspaper in an interview in 2001.

So from blacklisting her for being leftist 60 years ago, Hollywood has moved to honoring the life of a race confused, gender confused, age confused, reality confused pop star who was like a poster child for leftists.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 12:54 am

SciFi wrote:
Ratzilla wrote:
From the 50's through recent years he was one of the most employed actors out there.
An impressive filmography and list of appearances, that's for sure. I think I remember him best in Hang'em High.

I think old west characters fit him well, or vise verse. I usually think of him in those type roles, but he could play any type role and do it well. I'm disappointed the media forgets these greats of the past.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

Number of posts : 3675

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Holy crap, I was just reading about Betsy Blair on that site. Here's a couple quotes.

Quote :
Beginning in the late 1940s, Blair took parts in "The Guilt of Janet Ames," and "A Double Life." But her movie career stalled after her enthusiasm for leftist causes landed her on Hollywood`s blacklist.

"To be very left-wing in Hollywood was to work for the unions, to work for the blacks, the ordinary things that are social democratic principles," Blair told Britain`s The Guardian newspaper in an interview in 2001.

So from blacklisting her for being leftist 60 years ago, Hollywood has moved to honoring the life of a race confused, gender confused, age confused, reality confused pop star who was like a poster child for leftists.

To me it's more ironic that they went from blacklisting those were even suspected of being leftists to now de facto blacklisting conservatives.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 6:16 am

I wonder when the shift started? How long did it take?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Justoo wrote:
I wonder when the shift started? How long did it take?

I think it probably started with the silent movies, but took several decades to get a firm hold. There was a Tarzan movie in the 30's where Jane wore nothing under her breachcloth. I think prohibition led to alot of the changes in society overall. It glamorized being bad and opened the door for liberal thinkers.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Then it shifted more than once. It was fairly conservative when McCarthyism was the rule of the day.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Yeah, things go in phases and still are. It went all moralistic and conservative in the WWII era and stayed that way till the mid to late 50's. Morals got pretty loose in WWII and after the war society wanted a more stable life. Until it got boring. Now that liberals control movies and TV it isn't liberal thinking being slipped into the conservative market, it's the reverse.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 3:50 pm

We are living in a Barbara Streisand world at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Very BS
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Two more today. Gale Storm (My Little Margie) and comic/impersonator Fred Travalena. They're droppin like flies.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 pm

I remember both of them. Fred Travelena was funny.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm

What killed Marilyn Chambers? She was pretty feisty in her day. The site doesn't mention the cause of death.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Blackie Kuhn wrote:
What killed Marilyn Chambers? She was pretty feisty in her day. The site doesn't mention the cause of death.

Damn, I hadn't noticed her name. There goes a fantasy of yesteryear. No

Wikipedia says the coroner's autopsy revealed that Chambers died of a cerebral hemorrhage and aneurysm related to heart disease. Them old Ivory Snow boxes with her picture on them will probably double in value. Wish I had one.

Hey, I hit 4000 with this post. Hmmmm. Still no gold hubcap on the polycart.
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 am

ratzilla <----- Since not everyone was Jackson. 153932 Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 am

Ratzilla wrote:
Gale Storm

I believe she was also in "Disorder in the Court" with The Three Stooges. Quite possibly the funniest short film ever made.
Back to top Go down
The Other One
All Star
All Star
The Other One

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 am

Never mind. That was a different actress. Her character name was Gale Tempest, though.

Since not everyone was Jackson. 372175
Back to top Go down
LukeTHr
All Star
All Star
LukeTHr

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:37 pm

I think some of the funniest, most creative short movies ever made were done by Buster Keaton. Check them out if you ever get a chance
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 5:22 pm

The Other One wrote:
Never mind. That was a different actress. Her character name was Gale Tempest, though.

Since not everyone was Jackson. 372175

I remember. Don't know that I'd call that the funniest ever, but it was the Stooges film with the most skin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Since not everyone was Jackson.   Since not everyone was Jackson. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Since not everyone was Jackson.
Page 1 of 1