Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

How Ironic

Go down 
+4
SciFi
Justoo
Owlg8tr
Ratzilla
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:26 am

Tonight I was in the Casey's station paying cash because I despise checks and credit cards. I have always felt they give you the temptation to overspend yourself so I just use cash. So here I am, the finacially semi-conservative yet very modern thinking sort standing there at the counter and a Mennonite man known for their non-acceptance of modern ways walks in and says the gas pump is not accepting his credit card. How Ironic 912833 Suspect
Back to top Go down
Owlg8tr
Rookie
Rookie
Owlg8tr

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-02-02

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:48 am

WOW! no kidding. They always peel out cash like lettuce.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigalstoons.net
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812
Registration date : 2008-03-25

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 6:46 am

Back to top Go down

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:27 am

Mennonite ≠ Amish
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Tonight I was in the Casey's station paying cash because I despise checks and credit cards. I have always felt they give you the temptation to overspend yourself so I just use cash. So here I am, the finacially semi-conservative yet very modern thinking sort standing there at the counter and a Mennonite man known for their non-acceptance of modern ways walks in and says the gas pump is not accepting his credit card. How Ironic 912833 Suspect
I have always found curious about Casey's gas prices that I have not seen another place in town where their premium E10 is less expensive than their regular gas. I do like their doughnuts.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Lots of out of towners go buy at Casey's only to find they paid more for regular gas after it's too late. Maybe Casey's has figured out that alot of drivers are just smart enough to pump gas but not smart enough to read.
Back to top Go down
fescue
Rookie
Rookie
fescue

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2008-04-06

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 2:05 am

The premium E10 is probably spiked with ethanol. I won't use it in my vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 am

fescue wrote:
The premium E10 is probably spiked with ethanol. I won't use it in my vehicles.

I've heard that said before. That's all I've used but maybe I should quit because my engine only has 198,000 on it and I'd hate to use anything that'd be hard on it and cause it to crap out with low miles. Smile

Maybe it's just me, but by the time any vehicles engine crapped out on me the whole thing was usually ready to fall apart anyways and my current ride is having all kinds of issues. But the thing still hits 70 by the time I hit the top of the Interstate on ramp and runs pretty smooth.

I've replaced starters, springs, exhaust, power steering, leaking hoses, pulleys, U-joints, and a couple dozen other things have worn out or broken. But ethanol didn't cause any of it.
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 am

I've heard ethanol is especially hard on u-joints.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 am

E=ethanol. There are a few different mixes of "E" fuel out here. I don't use any of 'em.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
cracker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-05-06

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 am

There is no reason to be wary of ethanol blends that are available at public pumps. The reason that E-10 is cheaper than regular gas of the same octane is that there are fewer BTUs in ethanol than fossil gasoline. About 65% as much energy in E-100 as gasoline. Thus, the E-10 blend should be priced less than standard gas to account for this. As the market adjusts to E-10, this will become the case at all stations. After all, when we buy fuel, we should figure the cost per BTU rather than cost per gallon. As for biodiesel blends, the same is true. Whether straight #2 fossil diesel or biodiesel, you are looking at 25-30% more BTUs per gallon so the price can be higher than gasoline. Also, a diesel engine is the most efficient converter of energy to power of any internal combustion engine. Win Win with diesel, especially if it is in the price range where you actually get more BTUs for your money.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 am

In Topeka, there's only one station that I know of that sells e-blends at a lower price than regular fuel. The others I've seen are in the same range as regular. Makes no sense to me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 1:33 am

Ratzilla wrote:

lol One day, I was in a hurry and I ran into the old Wal-Mart here in Hays to get a VCR and get the heck out of there, well, there was a woman standing in front of the stack of VCRs on sale that I wanted to get to...she had her little bun thing on her head and her home made dress, she kept picking up a VCR box, then putting it back, then putting it in her cart, then putting it back, etc. etc. I wanted to say, "uuummm, you aren't allowed to have those...can I get one and be on my way?" But I couldn't bring myself to say it or do it, I just pretended to be looking at some other thing near her.

The hubby used to work at a car dealership back then, he would tell me that they had to take the radios out of every car they purchased.

How Ironic 912833
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:22 am

Yeah, I've noticed they just love money and modern technology so long as they don't break the golden rule and expose themselves to our unclean ways beyond basic comfort. Someone told me once though that the women can wear fancy erotic underwear so long as no one but their husband sees it.

You ever sell anything to them SG? Nothing with batteries of course, just a basic wind up model. Smile
Back to top Go down
SlumberGirl
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SlumberGirl

Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2008-03-26

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
Yeah, I've noticed they just love money and modern technology so long as they don't break the golden rule and expose themselves to our unclean ways beyond basic comfort. Someone told me once though that the women can wear fancy erotic underwear so long as no one but their husband sees it.

You ever sell anything to them SG? Nothing with batteries of course, just a basic wind up model. Smile

SG doesn't tell anyone anything about what she sells to others. How Ironic 555861
Back to top Go down
http://www.slumberpartiesbyvalarie.com
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 pm

A good policy SG.
Back to top Go down

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 pm

No argument mike. They are an intelligent, inventive, and industrious group. My point is not to knock them, but rather curiosity as to who decides, and how they decide which modern electrical or mechanical device is acceptable and which is not. From what I've seen, "modest" pleasures such as driving instead of using horses, and productive purposes such as electricity and even a computer used for business seems ok.

But what I don't understand is how they accept something like a credit card, a nicer than necessary vehicle, or computer. I figured they would see them as an extravagance they wouldn't need. I guess I expected they would be more thrifty.
Back to top Go down

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Don't think in stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 pm

I know not all Mennonites can be recognized by style of dress etc. these days. Some wouldn't be known as Mennonites by appearance. But I don't see it as stereotyping to wonder why those who still dress in the traditional manner don't also live like their more traditional brothers.

The Mennonites themselves state on their website that "Together we strive to live out a new way of life in which Jesus is Lord above nationalism, materialism or selfish pursuit."

To me stating that they avoid materialism and selfish pursuit sounds like they'd be thrifty and avoid extravagant possessions that they don't need.
Back to top Go down

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Mennonite ≠ Amish???
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 am

mikecc wrote:
Mennonite ≠ Amish???

The Mennonites and Amish may have split into separate churches, but there is still the Old Order Mennonites who are not much different than the Amish. If those living around here that still dress in the old ways are not Mennonites then every person I ever heard talk about them has been calling them the wrong name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How Ironic Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Ironic   How Ironic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Ironic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hays, Kansas :: Open Forum :: The Quirky News Section-
Jump to: