Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Know of any good contractors??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Know of any good contractors?? Empty
PostSubject: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:36 pm

I need to build 2 bedrooms in a totally unfinished basement a few months old and need a honest,reliable contractor.....cheap would be great lol! .Also does anybody know anything about those water floor heaters they put in the cement?I need to know if you can put carpet over them.I am clueless-and I don't even know what they are called-it's never been turned on Know of any good contractors?? 987844
any help would be great!!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 pm

A radiant heating system must be designed to deliver enough heat to transfer it efficiently through the thickness of the concrete it's embedded in and then through any floor covering placed on top of it. At the design stage, the radiant system professional should consider heat loss, the areas of the floor that might not be available for heat (due to installed items such as cabinets), and factors affecting resistance to heat transfer, such as floor coverings. Generally, radiant heating installed within a conductive medium, such as concrete or a cement-based overlay that also functions as the finished flooring, will transfer heat much more efficiently than a system installed under a subfloor or covered by another layer of flooring, such as laminate floor panels or carpet.

For concrete floor radiant heating systems, the warm-water tubing or electric heating elements can either be embedded within the slab-on-grade (anywhere from the bottom of the slab to within 2 inches of the surface, depending on the design and installation technique) or fastened to the top of a concrete subfloor and then covered with an overlay. (These diagrams, from the Radiant Panel Association, show some typical installations.) Radiant heating can also be installed in thin concrete slabs placed over plywood, with a layer of decorative concrete placed on top

LINKY
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm

Wow,after seeing those concrete floors all polished,stained and painted I may leave it bare!
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:00 am

wilkykav2 wrote:
Wow, I may leave it bare!
What a Face
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:04 am

How big do the rooms need to be?
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 am

It would be nice to have large ones,but we need them ASAP and we know it's gonna cost alot.My girl needs one and the brother in law so at least one big one for the teenager queen
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:23 am

how big is the basement? are the walls concrete? If so, do you wast them framed? Is electrical readily available? do the basement walls leak? Is the ceiling open joists? Are there HVAC ducts overhead? Do you want a drop ceiling? Are there windows where you want the rooms? have you checked into building permit requirements?
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 am

Try Brackney construction. I have seen their work.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 am

nitromaxx98 wrote:
how big is the basement? are the walls concrete? If so, do you wast them framed? Is electrical readily available? do the basement walls leak? Is the ceiling open joists? Are there HVAC ducts overhead? Do you want a drop ceiling? Are there windows where you want the rooms? have you checked into building permit requirements?

Wow.
about 1500 SQFT
yes
yes
yes,one breaker box upstairs,one down-but not hooked up yet
no,it's brand new-but it may later Wink
yes
umm,I think so-I see pipes and ducts and wires and wood
ducts,yes
yes
yes,two escape windows
no

And I am asking all this cuz the old man works too much and dosen't have the time Know of any good contractors?? 645905
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 am

We have always had very professional work with Paul/Wertenberger.
http://paulwertenberger.com/
Back to top Go down
bg0308
Rookie
Rookie
bg0308

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Don't go with Dustin Hynes Construction. I've seen some of his work and it is horrible. I don't know if he is even doing his construction business even more, but if his name comes up look elsewhere!
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Also,thought I might as well throw this out there...................................anyone intrested in buying a brand new Schult 3 bed 2 bath mobile home??We got it appraised last week,figures arent in yet-if we cant unload it right away may rent it out.We are moving into the other new house that got built behind us and would like to get a chunk of $$ to help pay for it and the bedrooms we need ........................I LOVE it and hate to part with it,but we need a bigger place,but more importantly it is due to a family circumstance and they need help.
thanks,if you know of anyone looking please let me know-it is beautimous Know of any good contractors?? 555861
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Know of any good contractors??   Know of any good contractors?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Know of any good contractors??
Page 1 of 1