Hays, Kansas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hays, Kansas

Where Individuals Become A Community With A Voice

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  ChatChat  RegisterRegister  Spell CheckSpell Check  Log inLog in  

Computer go BOOM!!!!!!

Go down 
+8
Blackie Kuhn
Ratzilla
wilkykav2
suzyj
Degeneration X
SciFi
crutch51
slickjay12
12 posters
AuthorMessage
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:18 pm

My computer issues continue with a virus from one of my recent torrent downloads. It sprung up when I unzipped the WinRAR files. Well I could not get it removed so I had a mirror image of my system on a internal drive so I thought I would load it. Well when you use a program called Acronis to make the image and restore the image the first thing it does when restoring is to wipe the internal drive. It did that fine and as it started to load the mirror image the image had been corrupted. So I have no info on my internal drive. So guess what I am doing this weekend. REINSTALLIN WINDOWS XP AND ALL SOFTWARE I HAD!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeah the fun goes on cheers cheers cheers cheers Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 364910 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 6729 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 905892 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 733732 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 305403 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 912833
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 pm

2 programs you might want on your computer are revo uninstaller,which when you unistall anything you download always leaves some traces of that program. revo gives you the option to remove anything that might be left behind, if your removing programs from your control panel not everything is being deleted. o&o safe erase is a shredder that will remove anything from your trash can that you throw away.. so be sure you want it totally gone,because there is no way to retrive it. at least check them out. I'll be doing the same thing tommorrow only because i'm going to partition my hard drive,that way if I get any malware or a virus i can't remove,I won't lose all of my programs.
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks for the info crutch I will check into those programs. I have decided to bring the system to my work were we have 2 computer geniuses that can help me as I have never done a TOTAL REinstall. We used to have 3 computer geniues but 1 retired (SciFi)
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:49 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
My computer issues continue with a virus from one of my recent torrent downloads. It sprung up when I unzipped the WinRAR files. Well I could not get it removed so I had a mirror image of my system on a internal drive so I thought I would load it. Well when you use a program called Acronis to make the image and restore the image the first thing it does when restoring is to wipe the internal drive. It did that fine and as it started to load the mirror image the image had been corrupted. So I have no info on my internal drive. So guess what I am doing this weekend. REINSTALLIN WINDOWS XP AND ALL SOFTWARE I HAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, sorry to hear it, slickjay. Since you are starting from scratch, are you going to format your disks?
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 7:52 pm

Don't forget,you need to install all of your drivers first before you can install windows..

Sorry Slick I gave you wrong info. Must have an os first before you install your drivers

Last edited by crutch51 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Yes the disk is formatted per Edgars suggestion
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

Number of posts : 1337

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Don't feel bad SlickJay I just got done reinstalling windows on my computer. I lost everything last week. Last Friday I turned on my computer to get the infamous blue screen of death. An error message came up saying a file was corrupted. I tried to load up in safe mode and it wouldn't let me. After 3 hours of trying to save this piece of shit today I finally shed a few tears and did the unthinkable....formatting and starting over. I lost some pics that I hadn't got put on cd yet so those are gone. As for some of the other programs I had I can do without those. I'm just going to keep things basic on here until after Christmas because that's when this piece of shit Dell will be history!!!! Right now I just have internet going and I'm going to reinstall yahoo messenger and that will be it. No music or anything like that. I'm not even going to do the windows updates because I will just run off this service pack 1 for now (yes this computer is old).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 pm

With a spare hard drive, a fellow could install onto that one, then go back and get personal files off the old hard drive. I do this.
Back to top Go down
suzyj
All Star
All Star
suzyj

Number of posts : 3438

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm

I've retrieved pics and documents using a retrieval tool. Worked just swell. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=790394051
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:46 pm

I just know that this will be my first and last Dell I will own. I have had nothing but problems with this piece of shit. I'm looking into getting a laptop after christmas. I just got to get buy with this thing for a couple of months. I'm just going to keep this thing basic and not do any downloading.
Back to top Go down
wilkykav2
All Star
All Star
wilkykav2

Number of posts : 2245

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:48 pm

black friday drug me out to get $9.00 4GB flash drives cuz I have a feeling somthin' bad is gonna happen and I will lose my precious pictures-and I have saved them cheers Slick,I hope everything gets back together OK!!
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Degeneration X wrote:
I just know that this will be my first and last Dell I will own. I have had nothing but problems with this piece of shit. I'm looking into getting a laptop after christmas. I just got to get buy with this thing for a couple of months. I'm just going to keep this thing basic and not do any downloading.
I know you didn't ask, DX, but I'd steer away from Gateway.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 11:25 pm

I'm staying away from Gateway.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 am

Another update on this POS i'm using, I got the blue screen of death again but this time I was able to load up in safe mode and fix the problem. This damn this is another blue screen away from seeing the blue poly cart in the sky!!!!!
Back to top Go down
slickjay12
All Star
All Star
slickjay12

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 pm

well with the suppprt of the geniues here I was able to get my backup to load. Had a bad boot disk that was causing the problem. THANKS for all the well wishes
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

Number of posts : 6902
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:13 pm

I fought with a comp once for 9 hours straight, but got it back up and running. Most problems are fixable if you try long enough. Sometimes it's not HD failure at all, as I found when my sis asked me to retrieve stuff off a downed comp. I hooked it up as a secondary in a good comp and got everything she wanted off the drive. Turned out there was a bad connection in her motherboard.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Degeneration X wrote:
Another update on this POS i'm using, I got the blue screen of death again but this time I was able to load up in safe mode and fix the problem. This damn this is another blue screen away from seeing the blue poly cart in the sky!!!!!
What is the message on the bsod?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 pm

slickjay12 wrote:
well with the suppprt of the geniues here I was able to get my backup to load. Had a bad boot disk that was causing the problem. THANKS for all the well wishes
Good to hear! I have to say, that assuming your anti-virus was updated and set to protect your computer properly, what you may had was malware rather than an actual virus.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 pm

It's a bitch I know,just reloaded my computer last night,took about 6 hours.
If you already have a operating system,take the time to split your hard drive and put all of your pics,music,videos and anything thats important to you and create a D drive and the rest on your C drive depending on the size of your hard drive. This way,if you ever got a virus, the split drive is not affected. Definitely worth the time it takes to do this. Then invest in a good anti virus program,not this free shit you can get on the internet. I recommend CA, about 40.00 to buy,well worth it...
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:02 pm

There used to be a short, but very effective exploit years ago that triggered immediate blue screen when sent to someone with thier pictures turned on. It came in handy for obnoxious types in the chatrooms, but it did no lasting harm.

I ran an old comp on the net for hours a day up till 2007 that had not had antivirus updated since 2000 Never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:08 pm

That's good ,but how many viruses did you sent to other people? Especially if your outgoing mail was not scanned.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm

I didn't have any viruses to send.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 pm

Almost unheard of these days especially with all of the spyware and malware thats attached to everything.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 pm

I've had an occasional spyware bug, or attempt to load malware, but those have been more common on my newer computer. My sisters always kept up to date anti-virus and still got nailed bad. The diffence was there are never any teenage kids on my comps. All the crap everyone thinks they have to use is where alot of the spyware comes from.
Back to top Go down
crutch51
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
crutch51

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:05 pm

I agree. If your watching movies,playing music, paying bills and not downloading everything on the internet or opening mail from nigeria,I'd say your pretty safe from most malware and viruses. Although,you can be infected from programs that come from a reputable site. Personally, if it doesn't come from microsoft or geeks.com or a purchased program,I leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Its funny I just got done reformatting this piece of shit again and running on service pack 1 in XP my computer works a lot better than it did with service pack 3.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am

I'm so relieved right now, I just found a disk where I back up all my pics back in September. The only pics I don't have that were lost on my hard drive are still in my camera. I feel much better now that this dell didn't deprive me of those pics I thought were gone. Here's to Dell and its POS computers. Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 572237 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 572237 Computer go BOOM!!!!!! 572237
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:03 am

I'm pretty touchy about what I DL. And I have a habit of always saving things on removable disk to check before opening. How you set things up in security settings also can reduce what can get at you. I also run anti-spyware progs and have for quite awhile. Certain spyware and malware can load as soon as you hit a webpage. I also avoid yahoo messenger, and other assorted progs that watch every move you make and try to reset your comp to give their progs control of your system. One of my sisters got an unpleasant trojan from a well known game site she trusted.

DX.... more bells and whistles ain't always better. The comp I used for over 10 years never had more than Win 95 with IE 4.7 on it and it still ran fine well after most had adopted XP.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 am

With an old operating system like WIN 98 you are highly unlikely to get a virus as most malware and spyware is written for XP and Vista. Also I have had a number of Dell computers with little or no problem. I swear by them...sorry to hear you got a lemon.
Back to top Go down
Degeneration X
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
Degeneration X

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:20 am

I'm just going to keep things pretty basic on this computer for a few months until I can afford to buy a laptop. There will be no limewire, messenger and very few websites I will visit. I will keep this site in my favorites plus facebook and myspace. I have put a password on my computer so that my friends can't log on and visit those questionable sites I have seen in the history.
Back to top Go down
Blackie Kuhn
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer
Blackie Kuhn

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 am

I did that for awhile but it was boring so I had to branch out a bit and good luck so far,but I do avoid IM and chat programs
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

Number of posts : 2062

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm

My laptop hd crapped out the other night, they are sending me a new one which I should get today. Has anyone used tech junkies here in Hays? The first thing I am going to do is install the "bad" hd into the secondary slot and see if I can retrieve info from it that way - but I think my only other choice after that is to take it to a professional to see if I can get the info off.
Back to top Go down
lisav
Rookie
Rookie
lisav

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm

I have used tech junkies, they do good work, but you definitely pay for it.
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Degeneration X wrote:
I'm just going to keep things pretty basic on this computer for a few months until I can afford to buy a laptop.
Will you get a discount if you buy the laptop from where you work?
Back to top Go down
SciFi
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer
SciFi

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Ratzilla wrote:
My sisters always kept up to date anti-virus and still got nailed bad. The difference was there are never any teenage kids on my comps.
BIG difference! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Justoo
All Star
All Star
Justoo

Number of posts : 3812

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 6:04 pm

SciFi wrote:
Degeneration X wrote:
I'm just going to keep things pretty basic on this computer for a few months until I can afford to buy a laptop.
Will you get a discount if you buy the laptop from where you work?

Not since they fired those guys.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:17 pm

nobodysbusiness wrote:
My laptop hd crapped out the other night, they are sending me a new one which I should get today. Has anyone used tech junkies here in Hays? The first thing I am going to do is install the "bad" hd into the secondary slot and see if I can retrieve info from it that way - but I think my only other choice after that is to take it to a professional to see if I can get the info off.

Be careful, some computer tech might see park pics of everyone enjoying your melons. Smile
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:25 pm

hhahaha!! Those are on my other laptop. I got the new HD, got it all installed, now I have the wonderful task of redownloading all my stuff.

I tried to put the old HD in the secondary slot and it wouldn't find it - also wouldnt show the new one...

sigh...
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Did you go into setup and direct it to re-detect all drives? I've never had a prob if I do it that way.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:13 pm

yeah I did, and it still wouldnt work.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Make sure the cables were completely seated? I've had that screw with me before.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:36 pm

i cant get to the cables without popping the laptop case open and Im afraid if I do that it will null the warranty.
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Ahh I see. I was thinking you tried installing it in a desktop.
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

Number of posts : 3515

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 pm

If you sit your laptop on a desk, is it still a laptop?
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:46 pm

Unfortunately the hd makes noise when you try to use it so I am afraid it wont be recoverable.. Sad
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 pm

nobodysbusiness wrote:
Unfortunately the hd makes noise when you try to use it so I am afraid it wont be recoverable.. Sad

NCIS could.

NB, I have a cable that allows you to connect laptop drives to a desktop via paralell port. Might that help?
Back to top Go down
Ratzilla
All Star
All Star
Ratzilla

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Mom was using one my sis had that made noises like it was going to fall apart but it still works.
Back to top Go down
nobodysbusiness
Admin
Admin
nobodysbusiness

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm

maybe nitro, when could I get it from ya?
Back to top Go down
nitromaxx98
All Star
All Star
nitromaxx98

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 am

Whenever, you know where to find me.

Where people may ask?

I can be found at PHONE DEPOT...

lol, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computer go BOOM!!!!!!   Computer go BOOM!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Computer go BOOM!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1